Mini-Review - Gleneagles Hotel, Kings Course and PGA Centenary Course

S

Snelly

I had the pleasure of staying for two days at Gleneagles last week and it was an absolute joy.

I have been all over the world and stayed in some very special places but very few come close to the Gleneagles Hotel for service, comfort, quality and ambience. The hotel has got everything right and is a fabulous venue with a real sense of special occasion. The rooms are sumptuous, the bars and restaurants are brilliant and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Truly 5 star, especially the excellent staff. Highlights were many but the stunning breakfast of Haggis, kedgeree and poached eggs with a glass of champagne or two probably stand out! Well worth a visit and the only downside is that it is not particularly cheap. That said, it is exceptional value for money.

Saw Monty, McGinley, Colsaerts and a few celebs too. One of my pals knows PM quite well so we had a good chat - he is as nice as he is tiny!

The courses - we played the Kings and the new Centenary course which the Ryder Cup will take place on next September. First the Kings....I have played this once before but it was when I was 14 (quite a while ago!) and I could not remember much apart from the glorious scenery. Playing it last week was a real pleasure as it is simply excellent. Loads of good holes, in lovely condition and a terrific half way hut. Highly recommended. The Dormy House bar is superb afterwards too with gorgeous, brilliantly trained and very capable staff that really look after you. Delicious food, great beer and awesome wines.

The PGA Centenary - hmmmm. Underwhelming would be my view. It is a reasonable course I suppose with two or 3 standout holes but the rest are pretty average I am afraid. The other issue I have is that it is not a particularly difficult test of golf and it will need to have the rough narrowed and the greens tricked up in order to test the best in the world next September. We played off the white tees which were not too different from the tips and it just wasn't tough enough. That said, it does have a stadium course feel and there will be plenty of room for spectators to get a good view which is I suppose what is required for the Ryder Cup. It reminded me of Loch Lomond and the 2010 Course at Celtic Manor - two courses that I also found very disappointing. It is not a patch on the Kings course, not even close.

Anyway, Gleneagles is just fantastic. Get there if you can. It is a wonderful hotel with lovely golf courses in an exquisite setting. Unreservedly recommended.

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been twice and it is one of my favourite places in the world - simply stunning. The main restaurant is awesome. Played the Monarchs in 2007 on a work trip but hadn't played for 10 years since a junior so can't remember much. Last went in 2005 on a 2-day offer to see the timeshare places behind the hotel - best value trip ever!! £270 for 2 nights DB&B plus a game on the Kings for me a massage for the Mrs - dinner alone should have been £55 each. I looked around the timeshare for an hour - no hard sell at all - them spent 90 minutes discussing it deliberating if I could afford it - I could have had the best week in the cheapest section - first week in Nov - for 11k (a 3 bedder) - it was the 1k per year that I couldn't quite justify. Wish I had bought it as they sold well and reclassified this week into a dearer section afterwards.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was there at the end of May and would agree with every word Snelly has written.

It's pretty much a 7 star hotel compared to any 5 star I've stayed in. They must have a Paul McGinley double working there for photos - I too met him when I was there and had a photo taken on the 1st tee. I also saw my first eagle in the wild, a truly wonderful sight.

As Snelly said, have the breakfast as it's the finest choice of fabulous food ever!

Last edited: