Mini driver revival ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its the wrong direction for handicap golfers. Bigger is better. And most golfers dont need 3 or 4 fairway wood.
Welcome the 460cc three wood with 14° or 15°.
Bagging one now, and going to game it for the season.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest the mini driver debate or need is lost on me. Given the shorter shaft and more loft .. why not have a driver head with a higher loft you can adjust and a shaft you can pop in .. ?
The only thing I would consider an interesting rabbit hole to investigate is a smaller head generating higher swing speed. Having come from an era when the big Bertha was big and the great big Bertha was enormous I really am not so fussed about having a huge driver head, in fact I wonder whether it actually is offering me any benefit apart from the extra steps I do looking for some ball someone else has unleashed themselves at ..

RichA

Visit site
To be honest the mini driver debate or need is lost on me. Given the shorter shaft and more loft .. why not have a driver head with a higher loft you can adjust and a shaft you can pop in .. ?
The only thing I would consider an interesting rabbit hole to investigate is a smaller head generating higher swing speed. Having come from an era when the big Bertha was big and the great big Bertha was enormous I really am not so fussed about having a huge driver head, in fact I wonder whether it actually is offering me any benefit apart from the extra steps I do looking for some ball someone else has unleashed themselves at ..
That's what I do when my driver swing is shot to 💩. 3-wood shaft in my old M2 driver head with the loft knocked up 2°. It works off a tee like fun. I couldn't use it off the deck though, unless the ball was sitting up in the rough.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
L

I remember the first time I saw a Callaway Big Bertha. It was so easy to hit compared with the other stuff around at the time. Now they look tiny!
Still got my Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead II driver and used it when I broke shaft of my current driver couple of years back…and it was great. Just looks like an old-fashioned 2wood.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe it is the same club as was released a couple of years or so ago....just a refreshed paint job.
So it is. How do review sites and youtubers look themselves in the mirror when just 'reviewing' a change of colour ?

Nevertheless...tempted by this.
Still sporting an old pair of brown Footjoys (hard enough to get these days ina world of either white or black golf shoes, let alone the garish colours of the trainer type shoes (do they even pass dress codes of the snootier clubs)).
But the copper head and cover would go well with them, and a beige woolen jumper.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So it is. How do review sites and youtubers look themselves in the mirror when just 'reviewing' a change of colour ?

Nevertheless...tempted by this.
Still sporting an old pair of brown Footjoys (hard enough to get these days ina world of either white or black golf shoes, let alone the garish colours of the trainer type shoes (do they even pass dress codes of the snootier clubs)).
But the copper head and cover would go well with them, and a beige woolen jumper.
Must be easy when boxes of free stuff keep turning up on the doorstep on a regular basis.

Brown Cords or perhaps Moleskin?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Must be easy when boxes of free stuff keep turning up on the doorstep on a regular basis.

Brown Cords or perhaps Moleskin?
I guess. Rather than launch monitor stuff, they could advise on matching apparel for colour coordination. What hybrid head covers would coordinate in ones bag, and the like.

AQL. Very natty.