• A bit of both

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • Its a chess game

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
What mind set do you have? Are you gung-ho, smash it off the tee then try the next shot. That Seve would not try.

Treat it as a game of chess and plot your way round the course, taking no risk.

A bit of both got to go for it at times.

I treat it like a game of chess. Love to plot me way around. I dont make every shot but I try, Its so satisfying when it works.

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
im slowly learning to plot my way around the course, used to drill it of the tee, but end up in more hassle than its worth so im leaving the driver in the locker for tomorrows medal and see how i do with my longest club being my 3 hybrid,

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My new Course is very tight. There are a lot of risk reward holes. Once upon a time, i'd have driven everyting, and even though I am hitting the ball quite well, 2 x mid/long irons are much safer than Driver and a wedge.

Depends on the circumstances as always though. Position is the key to scoring well here.

I do like tyo have a go where I can, because I fancy my chances when it comes to short game!

A

Alex1975

bit of both for me, I dont like to bottle a shot I can make but I dont like to try a shot I know I cant make...

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
Depends on the course, TonyN's course is always a game of Chess you will never go all out round there and get away with it all the way round. Whereas others you will play will not give you much return for playing it like a game of Chess. Some have to be attacked.

CVG

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I tend to try and keep the ball in play and so I suppose I would vote for the chess game option. However it begs the question which is more frustrating, missing shot through a bad swing or by being to gung-ho?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play each hole on merit and conditions.

I know the holes I can attack and which are best to play safe on, but this can change depending on wind and ground conditions.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gunge-Ho :D Sounds like a lady of the night with an infection....

Anyway, I digress...

I like to plot my way around, until my score is knackered, then I just smash the effing thing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A bit of both here.
We have some holes where you need a good drive to let you try for the green in 2 (par 4's and 5's). But we have some where position is more important than length and I'll only get the driver out if I'm swinging well and the wind's in the right direction.. And there's one par 4 where the driver never come out, often it's a 5 iron off the tee.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Intresting seems most favour the chess game. Even the ones who say abit of both only attack the hole when the odds are in their favour. So in fact they play the chess game too.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Depends on what's in front of me. If its a lake, there's no way I'll attempt a Barnes-Wallis but if its wide open I might attempt a John Daly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trying to play a more conservative style of golf and negate the errors my poor swing makes. Usually that involves a pragmatic return to the fairway after a tee shot and knowing that 230 yards over a bunker is actually only a 1 in 10 shot for me at best. Medals are all about keeping big numbers off the card and so the odd 5 or 6 is fixable but a snowman or worse is usually to big an ask

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another 'bit of both' here. I probably go for too many risky shots around my home course but there are some where I'll play an iron off the tee, which I'd never have done in the past.

My worst sin at the moment is our 14th.
About 380, dog-leg left, with big trees down the left and a bunker on the inside of the dogleg at around 240.
The brave shot is over the bunker with a bit of draw (most of the time any wind is behind) but overcook it and it's most likely lost. Leak it right and you run out of fairway and will probably be blocked out by trees.

The sensible shot is an iron short right of the bunker which still only leaves and 8 or 9 iron in, but I just can't make myself do it often enough.
Maybe that's because it's been a few rounds since I've stood on that tee with a score still going :/

Doc

Head Pro
Visit site
I know what I should do and sometimes that's the same as what I actually do but for me it's simple.

I was lying in coronary care in March so decided to take it easier and play more golf.

No more club throwing or taking it hard when I duff one.

Am happy the moment I arrive at the club and that's as far as I let it stress me.

Cheers

Steve...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll play the shot that gives me the best chance of getting the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible. I'll only play shots I know I can pull off more often than not and I won't take risks with my score but I'll always back my own ability.

paul1874

Club Champion
Visit site
Usually gung ho but am trying to think about the shots more.....but you can't beat giving the ball a good thrashing! That's probably why I am a crap golfer

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The front nine at mine is more chess like with only 4 holes requiring the driver, the back nine is smash and grab with only 2 holes not needing the driver!