Mind Control

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a firm believer (rather than belief it’s simple fact) that to shoot good rounds you have to have a degree of physical talent relative to your handicap and fundamentally sound golf mechanics/technique. I also accept though that ‘keeping the head’ is essential in executing said talent/technique on the golf course.

Before I go on, let me state that I have little patience for the whimsical mind guff and waffle that is written in most of the golf books I have read (largely those by Rotella- they simply aren’t for me) but that said, I am open to reading something else that may give me an insight or tip, however small, in to improving my mental concentration on the golf course. (Retaining focus and concentration is something I’m terrible at – thinking too far ahead in the round etc.)

Is there anything out there with a tangible methodology to improving mental application on the course? According to Amazon, ‘Golf Tough’ is worthy of a read but I’d like to hear from you lot first.

Cheers

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am a firm believer (rather than belief it’s simple fact) that to shoot good rounds you have to have a degree of physical talent relative to your handicap and fundamentally sound golf mechanics/technique. I also accept though that ‘keeping the head’ is essential in executing said talent/technique on the golf course.

Before I go on, let me state that I have little patience for the whimsical mind guff and waffle that is written in most of the golf books I have read (largely those by Rotella- they simply aren’t for me) but that said, I am open to reading something else that may give me an insight or tip, however small, in to improving my mental concentration on the golf course. (Retaining focus and concentration is something I’m terrible at – thinking too far ahead in the round etc.)

Is there anything out there with a tangible methodology to improving mental application on the course? According to Amazon, ‘Golf Tough’ is worthy of a read but I’d like to hear from you lot first.

Cheers

There's quite a few books etc out there and I really liked them but I think you need to read them over and over and really buy in to them.

Ultimately what I try to do is;

Not count my score as I go. Play the hole, write it down, move on. If you are +4 to your handicap and you keep count you are always going to be trying to bring this back. I play my best golf with no idea how I am scoring.

Play relative to your handicap. Don't try for pars if you are off 26. Plot your way around however suits your game best.

The main one though is choosing your shot, believing it is the right one and committing to it. The worst chips you will play are the ones where you don't know what shot to play. Your mind gets stuck and tries to play both and you mess it up. When you start paying attention to those you will realise how often it happens. Remember, the wrong shot played well is always better than the right shot played badly so don't get hung up when making the decision- commit and execute it and you will be there or there abouts.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Better off reading books and articles on course management than trying to look for answers in the mind.

What handicap are you tsped83?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
14....for now

Then I would definitely look at course management to reduce the amount of doubles you make.

The next thing to do is identify your weakness and work on that. Then move to your next weakness. you have to be brutally honest with yourself doing this. Rinse repeat.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Zen Golf by Dr. Joseph Parent gives techniques for controlling your state of mind and general "wellbeing", although I've never tried any of them.

I disagree that you have to have fundamentally sound technique to shoot good scores (depending on your definition of good scores). You just have to have something functional and repeatable.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I try and compartmentalise my thinking. Typically: evaluate options; choose option; evaluate shots; choose shot; visualise and feel shot; focus on shot; hit it; curse; evaluate options; choose options...

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Golf Monthly, or was it the other one, did a series of articles back in the mid 80's entitled "Mind over Golf: How to achieve peak performance." The author is Alan Fine, a well known sport psychologist. You can get a used copy from Amazon for less than £3. I found his articles/book really good.

Tav

Visit site
Zen Golf by Dr. Joseph Parent gives techniques for controlling your state of mind and general "wellbeing", although I've never tried any of them

I startes reading Zen Golf but got as far chapter three when he told told the readers to feel the golf swing through their testicles.

I have read quite a few of these types of books and found vision 54 to be quite good.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would recommend 'The Inner Game of Golf' Timothy Gallwey.

It can be bought as I book as well as a paper copy.

Given that it first came out in 1981 seeing that is still in print must be because it is well recommended.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was on the New Golf Thinking workshop and there was some good stuff on there and I need to revisit. I have got some NLP stuff I've been given to listen too. Not convinced and more likely to send me to sleep rather than help

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was on the New Golf Thinking workshop and there was some good stuff on there and I need to revisit. I have got some NLP stuff I've been given to listen too. Not convinced and more likely to send me to sleep rather than help

I think Franco recommended me this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Game...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZFW9AJC4V3SJM7SWBK2J

Apparently the tennis one is better for all sports, was the first one written IIRC. Might suit others to have a more golf specific one though.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
"Every Shot Counts" by Mark Broadie is a good book that isn't really into the whole "be the ball, you are the ball" nonsense. It is essentially how you can go about making better decisions on the golf course to improve your score.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never read any books etc.

My best rounds tend to be when I have a matchplay type approach, not being stupid or anything but just looking at each hole on its own and trying to get the ball in the hole asap, forget about it and move on.

I'm guilty of keeping score and thinking what's ahead etc, as I said my best rounds have almost come as a surprise at the end when I work out or am told what I've scored.

Should probably try it more often :rofl:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the 'every shot counts' philosophy is one I embraced when I was a decent player.
I was very determined to, never hit two bad shots in a row, never drop more than one shot at a hole, never 3 putt. That needs a high level of concentration, shot control and stamina.
The ability to forget and relax about a poor/dropped shot is also important. Fresh clear positive thinking on every shot you hit.
The ability to recognise the degree of difficulty in a shot is vital. That it is when many middle handicap golfers generally mess up and attempt shots beyond their ability.