Mid-Handicap Matchplay

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There has been a poll and it has been decided that we need the report on Wednesday evening at the latest. If it is going to be on Thursday we need a specific time please.

Good luck and dare I ask what your strategy is for this round!
Wednesday evening? Surely an event such as this needs to be broadcast live?

4.48 tee this afternoon

I recieve 4 shots

Overall game plan - hand out a battering and have it done within 15 holes.

Write up posted before 10am Thursday morning.

Live broadcast not possible this time but if i make it through this round - ill FB live stream the next round :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Expect it is all over now. Could he now give us a clue how it went please. Sad I know but the tee time he said he had booked was available to book earlier today.

Really hope he has won

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So match 2, I recieve 4 shots. His HI 10.7 (PH 12), mine 15.2 (PH 16)

1st - SI 9 - Halved in pars - a solid start to the match.
2nd - SI 17 - He sunk a miracle birdie putt to take the hole. I made par so wasnt too displeased with my effort. 1 DOWN
3rd - SI 15 - both hit the green, but what good is that when you 3 putt? Gutted for my opponent - not! BD wins the hole with a par ALL SQUARE
4th - SI 3 - First shot hole and I make it count, a great approach shot leaves me with a simple 2 putt for bogey, opponent gets up and down for bogey too but the shot brings me the win - BD 1 UP
5th - SI 13 - Par 3's are great fun when youre striking it well, GIR again for me, opponent missed long left, I sink it for par and take the hole. BD 2 UP
6th - SI 7 - The first par 5, I didnt hit the best of drives, very windy out there and it seemed to hold up. Could have gone either way but my opponent hit a glorious approach from 140 in and stuck it to around 3 foot and sunk ti for par. I made bogey - still not too disappointed but lost the hole. BD 1 UP
7th - SI 1 - Second shot hole. Opponent layed up before a brook at about 180 so I did the same. Matched each others shots all the way, halved the hole in 5's but again, made the shot count and took the win. BD 2 UP
8th - SI 5 - Sliced my tee shot OB... Why do the golf gods hate me. Long story short - BD 1 UP....
9th - SI 11 - Opponent plays a blinder on this short dog leg par 4. Yet again stiffs it to a few foot and drains the birdie putt to pull it all level through 9. Great game so far.

So all square through 9. Both playing well.

10th - SI 12 - Tricky little par 3 but both of us sink pars here and match how we started the front 9. Hole halved and onto the next.
11th - SI 8 - My turn to play a great approach shot. 148 middle, into wind, possibly the nicest 8 iron ive hit from the rough ever, tight draw and finishes about 4 foot away. Opponent is chipping on for 3 and leaves it about 6 feet away so I casually take the 2 putt and the hole win. BD back 1 UP!
12th - SI 4 - First shot hole on the back 9, snap hook left into some large conifers and find my ball at the bottom in the brush. Opponent creams a drive down the middle with wind assisting.. I made a double, he made par. ALL SQUARE
13th - SI 10 - Both hit good drives, back into the wind again here. I hit 7 iron into the green, again lovely shot, opponent missed short right, repeat of hole 11. BD wins the hole with a par and BD 1 UP
14th - SI 18 - Short par 3, wind with(ish) both hit the right side of the green, both 2 putted, both walk away with pars. Hole halved. BD 1 UP
15th - SI 2 - Im having issues with this hole in match play... its short but tight. 332 yards off the whites but OB right and "you wont find that" left. Took a dodgey hybrid and was playing catch up from there. I did well though, made bogey, opponent made par but my shot here helped ease the blow and I remained 1 up
16th - SI 14 - Par 3 again, 3's have been going well today. 8 iron fell about 10 yards short into the wind. Gutted. Opponent took a steady 7 and made the green. Simply sank his 2 putt for the win. I made bogey. ALL SQUARE.
17th - SI 6 - After our drives here, I wasnt hopeful. He had a good 40 yards on me but I was just playing my own game. steady 7 iron followed by a PW had me on the green in 3. Opponents second went right, very right. took him 5 to make the green and he finished with a double. I made bogey after a bit of dodgey putting but im thrilled. BD 1 UP, 1 to play.

The 18th. SI 16.

I explained how weird our 18th was last time. Its a make them or break them hole. Its eagle-able but its also an easy card/ score killer. Today, the hole was not my friend. My tee shot faded too far right and into the brook running down the hole. Gutted would be an understatement. I had tried to play it safe, didnt pull driver, just a 3 wood to be safe. Stupid idiot. Opponent creamed a drive just short of the green, chipped on and made a birdie.. Back to all square after 18.

So back to the first!

Sliced my tee shot OB. Never recovered. Opponent made par and with it, took the game. But what a game it was. I shot a gross 82, 39 points. Opponent played to 6 over and had 43 points. If thats not a great match bringing the best out of each other, I dont know what is. Happy I took him so far, disappointed I couldnt capitalise and go 2 up at any stage on the back 9. Just felt like whatever I did, he had an answer for it on the next hole.

I wanted the final post in this thread to be a picture of my holding the match play trophy aloft with fireworks in the background. Alas this will not be happening in 2022.

I have learned a lot in these couple of matches though, positive thinking really is the king in match play.

I also think match play brings the best out of me. Looking forward to the pairs coming up soon with my old man alongside - with him off around 18 and me in this form, we could be a dangerous pairing!

Up the forum.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Bandits :D

I always find mid handicappers tough opponents in match play like! especially if they haven’t played the game that long they’re normally decent single figure potential players that haven’t learned ways to make a score … make silly mistakes or have a couple blow up holes (I say this from experience made 2 single match play finals and a doubles match play win the year when I was 15 handicapper)

Sounds a great match

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Good stuff

I explained how weird our 18th was last time. Its a make them or break them hole. Its eagle-able but its also an easy card/ score killer. Today, the hole was not my friend. My tee shot faded too far right and into the brook running down the hole. Gutted would be an understatement. I had tried to play it safe, didnt pull driver, just a 3 wood to be safe. Stupid idiot. Opponent creamed a drive just short of the green, chipped on and made a birdie.. Back to all square after 18.

I have learned a lot in these couple of matches though, positive thinking really is the king in all golf.

Excellent write up. Had me on the edge of my seat till the end. ?

I’ve highlighted a couple of things from your post.

We can now safely put to bed the notion that hitting a 3 wood for safety is a valid play. It’s not, hit driver.

And a positive attitude is required for all golf. Why the difference between match play and stroke play? It’s all the same, pick a target, commit, swing with confidence.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Excellent write up. Had me on the edge of my seat till the end. ?

I’ve highlighted a couple of things from your post.

We can now safely put to bed the notion that hitting a 3 wood for safety is a valid play. It’s not, hit driver.

And a positive attitude is required for all golf. Why the difference between match play and stroke play? It’s all the same, pick a target, commit, swing with confidence.

You're not wrong. I just really hate stroke play. :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unlucky mate!

I think they call that doing a Mito Pereira.

I'm with @BiMGuy - I don't hit my woods any better or straighter than driver so it's driver every time for me unless I'm laying up short of something. Whenever I consider hitting something shorter "for safety" you can bet your house that I'll bugger it up, so just commit to driver and smash it. :D

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Unlucky mate!

I think they call that doing a Mito Pereira.

I'm with @BiMGuy - I don't hit my woods any better or straighter than driver so it's driver every time for me unless I'm laying up short of something. Whenever I consider hitting something shorter "for safety" you can bet your house that I'll bugger it up, so just commit to driver and smash it. :D

Driver is too long for the hole if hit well to be fair.. A solid 5 iron in the right conditions can make the green. Its a weird par 4!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver is too long for the hole if hit well to be fair.. A solid 5 iron in the right conditions can make the green. Its a weird par 4!
Just looking at it on Hole19 - I don't think my driver would be too long for it, haha. The issue would be that there really isn't much room to fade it in fairness, looks like a draw which I don't have in the locker. Interesting one. Unless those trees on the of the tee are actually low bushes, I can't really tell from the overhead view.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That is a great finishing hole for match play. Difficult to say how best to play it without standing on the tee. But, a driver might be too much depending on the conditions. I’d probably be looking to cut one off the left side of the left bunker if hitting driver. That give a pretty wide target and it’s 260 to reach the trees at the back of the green.
If driver is too much I’d probably hit my 5 wood at the left bunker and try to get as close to the green as possible.

The key looks to be clearing the end of the ditch at 180. That gives you a landing area nearly 80 yards wide.

7-CB2-DDC3-E6-BA-41-C2-8554-A481450-FADE5.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is a great finishing hole for match play. Difficult to say how best to play it without standing on the tee. But, a driver might be too much depending on the conditions. I’d probably be looking to cut one off the left side of the left bunker if hitting driver. That give a pretty wide target and it’s 260 to reach the trees at the back of the green.
If driver is too much I’d probably hit my 5 wood at the left bunker and try to get as close to the green as possible.

The key looks to be clearing the end of the ditch at 180. That gives you a landing area nearly 80 yards wide.

7-CB2-DDC3-E6-BA-41-C2-8554-A481450-FADE5.jpg
On the scorecard it says 260 off the whites, that's what Hole19 had it as as well. So I'd hit driver and not reach as I said, provided I can squeeze it past that tree left of the tee and not over-cut it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
On the scorecard it says 260 off the whites, that's what Hole19 had it as as well. So I'd hit driver and not reach as I said, provided I can squeeze it past that tree left of the tee and not over-cut it.

Tell you both now that its often around 240 to the middle and its downhill all the way - plays around 220!

Good driver is off the back - not often in the trees.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tell you both now that its often around 240 to the middle and its downhill all the way - plays around 220!

Good driver is off the back - not often in the trees.
That does change things a little. I would probably still hit driver, there's a chance I'm off the back but not by miles. Potentially just a chip back on.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That does change things a little. I would probably still hit driver, there's a chance I'm off the back but not by miles. Potentially just a chip back on.

In winter its a driver hole as the fairway doesnt roll. But due to the lack of watering, when our fairways and greens are playing like they are now you just have to hit short of every target.

Ive eagled it a few times, ive tripled it many too :ROFLMAO:

If you're ever up my way, youre more than welcome to come and experience the magic of Ravenmeadow :ROFLMAO:;)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done and unlucky in the end. You are obviously in the wrong job. They are short of a Sports Editor at The Times!

However all is not lost as there will be a sequel. When is the pairs match and trust it Will be fully documented.

Good luck with the next comp.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well done and unlucky in the end. You are obviously in the wrong job. They are short of a Sports Editor at The Times!

However all is not lost as there will be a sequel. When is the pairs match and trust it Will be fully documented.

Good luck with the next comp.

I think the deadline is mid June for that so will be coming up soon!

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the deadline is mid June for that so will be coming up soon!

love pairs comps best form of golf for me nice to have a partner to bail you out :ROFLMAO: and you see some mad hole outs

Played in our 1st round last night and won 2&1 was a great match against two canny lads

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
love pairs comps best form of golf for me nice to have a partner to bail you out :ROFLMAO: and you see some mad hole outs

Played in our 1st round last night and won 2&1 was a great match against two canny lads

You’re right about the hole outs! I swear any time we play doubles someone chips in with absolutely no right to do so ?