Microwave question

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This morning our stand alone Samsung microwave packed it up. No apparent reason. If i put some thing in, it swtiches on and spins around. You can hear the 'microwave sound', but it is not heating anything.

Any quick diagnosis from the experts?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only serviceable thing I can think of is that there is a smallish credit card sized piece of “card” inside called a waveguide and if that, for want of a better phrase, wears out then the microwave won’t work properly.

The rest is pretty much a sealed unit.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

my fancy samsung is cheaper than this >> https://ao.com/product/ms23k3513aw-samsung-microwave-white-41971-50.aspx

looks like I bought the same model from them in Nov 2017 for the same price! 4 years almost to the day.. Also, looking at features, i did not realise my microwave could do all these in the past 4 years. Only use it for quick heating/defrosting..

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
my fancy samsung is cheaper than this >> https://ao.com/product/ms23k3513aw-samsung-microwave-white-41971-50.aspx

looks like I bought the same model from them in Nov 2017 for the same price! 4 years almost to the day.. Also, looking at features, i did not realise my microwave could do all these in the past 4 years. Only use it for quick heating/defrosting..

I bet microwaves are up there with washing machines for the amount of features that never get used :D
Why do we bother paying for such complicated things and then use about 1% of the features? The advertising must be great to make us fall for it time and time again.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only serviceable thing I can think of is that there is a smallish credit card sized piece of “card” inside called a waveguide and if that, for want of a better phrase, wears out then the microwave won’t work properly.

The rest is pretty much a sealed unit.
Sorry, but that mica card you’re referring to is just a cover to stop food debris or anything getting into the magnetron. Turntable microwaves don’t tend to have wave guides.

I could tell you what it may be, but as a microwave has the potential to kill you if you don’t follow the correct procedure when working on them I won’t be saying anything.
Needless to say it could be a cheap repair, but then it may not me.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but that mica card you’re referring to is just a cover to stop food debris or anything getting into the magnetron. Turntable microwaves don’t tend to have wave guides.

I could tell you what it may be, but as a microwave has the potential to kill you if you don’t follow the correct procedure when working on them I won’t be saying anything.

Odd as our Kenwood stopped working and it’s a turntable and has a waveguide. I replaced it and lo and behold it all worked again.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bet microwaves are up there with washing machines for the amount of features that never get used :D
Why do we bother paying for such complicated things and then use about 1% of the features? The advertising must be great to make us fall for it time and time again.

My trouble is that one of the features I actually use can only be found on a more fully featured model e.eg combination cooking (microwave and oven at the same time).

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Odd as our Kenwood stopped working and it’s a turntable and has a waveguide. I replaced it and lo and behold it all worked again.
The mica cover now has assumed the name "waveguide", when in reality it is just a cover to protect food ingress into the magnetron output area, which would then obviously cremate itself and create a smell (the food particle that is)
When I first started doing microwaves years ago, the wave guide was a rotating antenna, belt driven via a small motor to spread the random pattern of microwaves around tha cavity so the food cooked more evenly. Then they stated using turntables with a direct motor drive:)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

ive got a IKEA whirlpool mw b10 s and the turntable has stopped turning. Makes defrosting virtually impossible!... Is it repairable or too dangerous? (electrician with 36 years experience but none with appliances)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ive got a IKEA whirlpool mw b10 s and the turntable has stopped turning. Makes defrosting virtually impossible!... Is it repairable or too dangerous? (electrician with 36 years experience but none with appliances)
Probably either the turntable motor, or the drive coupling.
They are normally accessible from the underside, so there normally isn't close contact witht he HV components. To be sure though (without removing the casing and shorting the cap, leave it off and unplugged for an hour beforehand (no responibility held for any actions you take:)...)