Metal disc attached to tees-rule breach

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anybody got a view on people using fairway mats as a potential alignment tool.
Yes, it's an option - as is the selection of position relative to divot, tee markers, discarded tees (not by you obviously) from the teeing area, divot and blemishes with a preferred lie from fairway etc etc
It's legal and sensible.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In fact the R&A approved them many years ago but the USGA were a bit iffy. The R&A originally allowed them if not used for alignment but the USGA banned them because they 'could' be used for alignment. However, the USGA have now accepted their 'traditional use' providing they are not used to assist alignment.

I was going to quote the Rule in the States (having been told it verabally) but could not find it in the Rule book, now I know why. Thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your using mats the course must need protecting.
So it’s wet or winter it’s a good time to work on your alignment it’s available to everyone so I don’t see a problem.
Just no Q comps while using them. Imo.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your using mats the course must need protecting.
So it’s wet or winter it’s a good time to work on your alignment it’s available to everyone so I don’t see a problem.
Just no Q comps while using them. Imo.
Just to clarify for anyone reading this comment - CONGU are happy for mats to be used in Q comps....its Clubchamp98 that isn't.

Robin Hood

Visit site
I must admit I do use a mat in winter, and you automatically line up with one.
On the tee I use a "pinky" - quite happy with my masculinity 🦁

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've become an orange castle man in the frost weather. It feels so wrong using one, but an ideal height and easier to get into the hard ground. Thank god for the better weather and a return to plain brown, natural tees. I feel cleansed again
Grey ones are, I believe, the same height! But I know which is easier to find!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Tees on string/discs should be punishable by disqualification, or strangulation.
One shot penalty per hole used seems too lenient for me.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Robin Hood said:

Well they are approved for use but I have never seen anyone yet lining them up on a diagonal so they can avoid being accused of using the as an alignment aid.

Last edited: