Metal disc attached to tees-rule breach

davido63

Visit site
A golfer had his tees tied together with string, but kept losing them. So he attached a metal disc to them to aid finding them. During a comp, another player challenged his use of them saying it was a non-conforming tees and therefore a penalty shot applied to all the holes they had played so far. He said they could be used as an alignment aid, even though there was no evidence he was doing so or accusation that he was doing so. Is this true? i have seen that it is classed as non-conforming tee , but is it a penalty shot on each hole played or DQ or what? it doesn't appear clear ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Are you sure about this? The 4 winter pyramid tees are allowed, I remember the R&A allowing the use of tees tied together so long as the string wasn’t used as an aid.
So if the string is just lying there attached to the weight or another tee, I don’t think it’s an issue.
The person mentioning it may not have all the facts correct.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As long as any attachments are not being used to aid alignment there's no problem.
If he were to place the disc in a position that gives help with alignment then that would be a penalty but to have tees tied together, on its own, isn't.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I always think the best solution in these instances is to ask the accuser to show you in the rule book where it states it's a penalty. If they are correct then fair enough, penalty accepted but it's surprising how often they can't find the ruling that they think exists.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
A golfer had his tees tied together with string, but kept losing them. So he attached a metal disc to them to aid finding them. During a comp, another player challenged his use of them saying it was a non-conforming tees and therefore a penalty shot applied to all the holes they had played so far. He said they could be used as an alignment aid, even though there was no evidence he was doing so or accusation that he was doing so. Is this true? i have seen that it is classed as non-conforming tee , but is it a penalty shot on each hole played or DQ or what? it doesn't appear clear ?

Refer him to the section on tees in Equipment Rules on the R&A website:

Note: As an exception for difficult turf conditions, tees tethered together or to an anchor may be used during the round provided that the player does not align the tees or tether in such a way that could indicate line of play or otherwise assist the player in making a stroke.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

I really hope they were castles tees as well 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unfortunately I have found the pink ones are the perfect height for me.
It’s a dilemma .
I've become an orange castle man in the frost weather. It feels so wrong using one, but an ideal height and easier to get into the hard ground. Thank god for the better weather and a return to plain brown, natural tees. I feel cleansed again

D

Deleted member 25172

Unfortunately I have found the pink ones are the perfect height for me.
It’s a dilemma .

Fortunately, I'm not "in the know" about why there would be anything wrong with using castle tee's, so I'm gonna keep on keeping on with my pink tee's when the driver is out! :D

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fortunately, I'm not "in the know" about why there would be anything wrong with using castle tee's, so I'm gonna keep on keeping on with my pink tee's when the driver is out! :D
It’s not the tee it’s the colour.
White would be better.
But the height that suits me best is pink , so that’s what I’m using.
Have had some girly comments (shouldn’t you be on the ladies tee).
I just remind them when they hand over their fiver.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We can be a particular lot in golf. Some think having plastic coloured tees is not real golf or can't bring themselves to using them. The pink plastic tee is very popular for drivers and at least it's easy to find. Mind you, I prefer wooden tees as well ;)

D

Deleted member 25172

It’s not the tee it’s the colour.
White would be better.
But the height that suits me best is pink , so that’s what I’m using.
Have had some girly comments (shouldn’t you be on the ladies tee).
I just remind them when they hand over their fiver.

Oh I should've figured that was what it was all about. It would take a really weak mind to even get the slightest bothered about someone trying to tease you about such a trivial thing. But as we're at this forum, I could really see this "topic" and thread turn into "black socks with shorts"-thread-heights. :D

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In fact the R&A approved them many years ago but the USGA were a bit iffy. The R&A originally allowed them if not used for alignment but the USGA banned them because they 'could' be used for alignment. However, the USGA have now accepted their 'traditional use' providing they are not used to assist alignment.