Merc spare keys

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just been quoted £190 + vat for a new key for my Merc. These must cost about 50p to make in China. Some mark up.

Haven't ordered it yet, really reluctant to blow that amount of money when I have one old key that still works.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it made by HUF mate? If so they are laser cut and that's why they cost so much. HID lost hers and we had to pay about the same.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No, there is no 'key' as such, it is a plastic lump. with three buttons, and a blunt end you use to start the ignition.

Apparently you can't reprogram them, so 2nd hand is not an option.

This sort of remote costs a lot less than a pound when we import them for lighting, so someone is making a packet.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's crap isn't it?

I need a Ford one and Ford came up with about £10 for the key and £150 "labour".....to which my reply was to duck ***.

Still, some Mercs don't even need keys....my Friend had hers stolen from off her driveway. The Police found it 2 days later all of 2 miles away. No sign of forced entry, no sign of anything odd. She had all 3 keys and they'd driven it (seemingly) with some generic system key or similar. So much for good security!!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Dave, your friends stolen car.

If you know someone suitably bent they can get you a working key no probs.

There are also skeleton keys available that will get into ANY ford manufactured after 1992, I know, I have one!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave, there are also skeleton keys available that will get into ANY ford manufactured after 1992, I know, I have one!

I need one of these bad boys! Just in case I lose the only existing key.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just had to get a new keycard for my Laguna.
£80 Key card
1 week wait for it to come from France
£45 recovery truck to dealership
£40 dealership to code keycard
Don't ever buy a laguna , this was one of the cheapest things i've had go wrong with it :mad:

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think you can get them anywhere else.
When I got my motor there was only one key with it. They ordered me another and it took 3 weeks to arrive. The salesman said that it was a good job that I hadn't lost it as it would have cost me. I never asked how much but when a merc salesman says that it would have been steep.
Thing is you would be bolloxed if you mislaid the other.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just had to get a new keycard for my Laguna.
£80 Key card
1 week wait for it to come from France
£45 recovery truck to dealership
£40 dealership to code keycard
Don't ever buy a laguna , this was one of the cheapest things i've had go wrong with it :mad:

Had one and quite liked it until timing belt snapped ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ i'd never get another

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry for the hijack :eek:
vig,
been there , done that. 1. pulley belt went taking the timing belt with it £600
2. pulley belt went taking timing belt with it again , due to failing alternator pulley plus it ripped the power steering pump to bits £700
I could go on :(
Lovely car to drive but repairs are regular and crippling, never again

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
We sold a lot of the 2001- lagunas when they first came out and they are by far the worst car in terms of warranty faults. We no longer buy them as the electrical and mechanical maladies are too much aggro.

A shame as they are an absolutely FANTASTIC car to drive, comfortable, nice interior, aesthetically wonderful and cheap to run. Were it not for the probs we had I would drive one for sure.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Renaults eh?

Quite new ones struggle to get over £900 at the local BCA sales. and Rovers?? I could have bought a 3 yr old (FSH, 28K) for £600 last week.

Everyone knows French cars are great to drive but an absolute liability. I've been on Jap cars now for over 10 years, almost perfect reliability t.b.h. I have a '99 Mitsubishi which is just a trailer puller and load lugger that I take when the Puma isn't suitable.....never missed a beat. The C_L is messing up on my BMW.....did it last year when the weather turned cold and damp.

The Puma is in for 'stat and heater valve next week.....it's blowing only cold air a.t.m. All the back street guys have empty diaries.....there's no work for them in the current climate. Apparently, because the thermostat is broken I should expect better performance (with the correct fueling form the ECU) when it's fixed.....even more nippy around town!! :cool:

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I once had to get one for my E class,the guy at the dealers said that once my new one had linked with the car then the other wouldnt work?

Seems to me that it is worth it for peace of mind,will bow to Medway tho as he should know.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My spare key is now playing up too, so I guess it is the car. That sounds even more expensive to fix. One key unlocks only, the other key locks only. Hmmm. Not good.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My spare key is now playing up too, so I guess it is the car. That sounds even more expensive to fix. One key unlocks only, the other key locks only. Hmmm. Not good.

You're scaring me Mog - I'm slowly winding myself up to buying a second hand SL sometime in '09 and stories of dodgy Merc electrics is a worry. Not the first tale of woe ive heard either

:(

bill

p.s (and way off topic) - got my first HC assesment through last week - 23!

That'll be back to 28 once we get to the other end of winter even with a generous buffer of 5 strokes for a class 4 player .

b