Mental Game - Other women golfers drive me mad! How can I cope with it?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You want to talk about slow rounds??? Did I ever tell you about the time I played at Walton Heath in a big match??? Lost 3 holes (at least) to the game in front we did. Don't know who's fault that was but I think they were female.....
:rolleyes:

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the longer rounds (5hrs 15) I've been out in involved a corporate member using up their allocation.

One of the players took 8 on the long par 4 3rd - and was never in the rough! 3 practice swings and a real shot as above but all with divots a New Yorker would be happy to have as a steak! Same routine all the way round - including Par 3 tees!

Know what you mean - the round above took 5 hours, we had to let everyone thro. I've been round the same course in 3 hours without breaking a sweat, and two of our ladies did it in 2 hours 15 once! :whoo:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You want to talk about slow rounds??? Did I ever tell you about the time I played at Walton Heath in a big match??? Lost 3 holes (at least) to the game in front we did. Don't know who's fault that was but I think they were female.....
:rolleyes:

Rumour has it that it took you a while to warm up,... apparently you didn't contribute anything until the last few holes :whistle:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Be happy to, I'm often round as a two ball in two hours flat. Can't guarantee I will play ok though, but normally the faster I play, the better the score.

That said, and you can't know this obviously, but I caddied for Justone at Walton Heath, the game he and smiffy are talking about. Bit off thread, but things creep sometimes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We've quite a large ladies section at my club and it can dfinitely be split firmly down the middle. On one side are a small number who are there for the golf, play to a good standard and work hard at their games and want to get better. The larger contingent are there for the social side. They enter the comps but their game and score are secondary to having a good time. Sadly it is these that give the whole section a bad name. We still have the traditional morning set aside for the lady members on a Tuesday and if you get out after them it can be soul destroying. Get out behind the good golfers at the weekend and they crack on and there are never any hold ups.

jennifermcm

Hacker
Visit site

Does FYP mean "from your profile"?

But yes, I am an enthusiastic woman in her 40s (I'm oh so grateful to you for pointing out my age, which I'm sure you know is something that a girl just loves!), but I have the body of a 20 year old (I keep it in a bin-liner under the bed :) ) And I'm playing with ladies in their mid to late sixties who want to walk and talk and, to be honest, patronise the people they are playing with ("oh wow, you actually made that ball go into the air that time! Aren't you such a good girl!" Grrrrrrrr!).

Thanks to all - I got some great feeback on this forum. Bobmac's suggestion was on the ball and I will definitely be taking his advice. I'm also considering moving my HC to another club as a distance member, to get more competitions and more varied set of ladies to play with. If I do move, I'll keep my local club as my main place of play. I was a distance member in a club a few years ago, and they had some great ladies there, so perhaps I'll return there.

By the way, by great ladies I don't mean low handicappers, I just mean women who move it at a decent pace on the course and don't talk nonsense all the way around.

On the subject of people's different reasons for joining a golf club, I've alway treated golf as a competitive sport that can have some nice social aspects to it from time to time. Joining a golf club for a walk and a chat seems kind of like joining a football club for a bit of a jog and a cuppa at half time. For me, it seems a walking club is where one should be if one wants a chat and a walk in the fresh air. But then that's me, and thank god we're all different!

I'll say this again - I've played with some great ladies, high and low handicappers, who enjoy their golf and know how to behave on course. By preference I'll play with ladies if they know how to behave, and I am all for a little intelligent banter between shots. But when it comes to the shot, please don't whisper or stand to my right on my ball to target line, or give a running commentary of absolutely every shot I strike! :(

Again, thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions!

Jennifer

jennifermcm

Hacker
Visit site
I stopped playing for a while...about a year and a half. I'm back playing about a year now, and back in training. I had no particular reason for stopping, just was on the 4th tee one day, smashed a drive straight down the fairway, started to walk to it then thought "gosh, that's a long way down, i think I'll go home instead". Left the ball there, went home, put the clubs under the bed and forgot about it for a year and a half. Strange, I know! :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I stopped playing for a while...about a year and a half. I'm back playing about a year now, and back in training. I had no particular reason for stopping, just was on the 4th tee one day, smashed a drive straight down the fairway, started to walk to it then thought "gosh, that's a long way down, i think I'll go home instead". Left the ball there, went home, put the clubs under the bed and forgot about it for a year and a half. Strange, I know! :)

Hope the ball was still there, and someone hadn't half inched it Jennifer.;)

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
HAHAHA - that's brilliant Jenn, I almost did the same thing the other day. Hit the green on the par 3 (uphill) for the first time and was seriously tempted to stop and go home, the round couldn't improve after that shot...
A few weeks ago I did hit a nice drive and leave it, but the light was fast disappearing, the rain was coming in sideways, and i'd found the ball in a gorse bush anyway. Nice drive too... :)

I don't think I could ever walk away for 18 months tho - way too addicted!

jennifermcm

Hacker
Visit site
I know what you mean. I think I just overdid it back then, played 7 days a weeks as I wasn't working at the time. Now I am working and it's really cutting into my golf time :)

i came back to the game with more determination, this year anyway, and I'm probably still over-doing it - a day doesn't go by where I don't have a club in my hand for practice or play. If only I could get paid for playing golf!

It's only now that I think I'm starting to really get a feel for the game, and to understand the swing. The pennies are finally starting to drop.

BTW, I joined a new club today as a distance member that has a great ladies section and good weekly competitions. I played there a few years ago, and they're a great bunch of gals. Looking forward to getting there for a competition soon.

Played my best front 9 ever on that course - gross 4 over for the front 9 in a competition (brag brag). I couldn't hit a bad shot that day. Totally blew it on the back 9 though, and wouldn't like to tell you what my final score was :( But I'll always remember that 4 over feeling, and if I can do it once then I can do it again!!

Well done on the par 3 heidi!

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I parred it...:angry:
Glad all the advice is working out for you
honestly, if you find zen state, the daft comments just wash over you.
I remember playing a texas scramble with one of our oldest ladies (who is truly lovely, but truly gash at golf), and having to take her drive on the 16th, which had unfortunately skimmed across the rough and landed about 20 feet short of the fairway. A whole 30 feet in front of us. We still came second and were in the money.

You have to take the rough with the smooth. And enjoy every round, no matter who its with, or how you play!

If i ever get my clubs across the water, I'll be wanting a game!! :clap:

jennifermcm

Hacker
Visit site
You got a deal, I'll look forward to that :)

Re. Zen, i downloaded a book today on the mental game, Golf Sense, Practical Tips On How To Play Golf In The Zone. So far it's looking very promising...

I can see me on the course now, clapping one hand and listening for the sound of non-falling trees :)

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You got a deal, I'll look forward to that :)

Re. Zen, i downloaded a book today on the mental game, Golf Sense, Practical Tips On How To Play Golf In The Zone. So far it's looking very promising...

I can see me on the course now, clapping one hand and listening for the sound of non-falling trees :)
Better than shouting fore and listening to the sound of golf balls bouncing off trees...
Have my fingers crossed for you this year.
Now all I need to do is listen to my own advice...:whoo: