Men/Women Dual Events

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/42952262

Should this happen more often ?

should some of the events have both women and men playing in them but with two prizes ?

Think it could really help attract people to the game - the WGC are smaller fields so have the top 50 Ladies playing as well.

Tennis has both Ladies and Men playing at the same tournaments especially in the Slams

And should they go further and look to create a team event where its mixed ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nothing wrong with organising a mixed team event along the lines of RC/Solheim...
A bit like the rowdy par 3 - not every week but once a year keeps things interesting.
Where there is a reduced field, like the WGCs or Tiger's jolly - why not.
Again, not every week as a lot of players of either sex wouldn't get places in the field.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Nothing wrong with organising a mixed team event along the lines of RC/Solheim...
A bit like the rowdy par 3 - not every week but once a year keeps things interesting.
Where there is a reduced field, like the WGCs or Tiger's jolly - why not.
Again, not every week as a lot of players of either sex wouldn't get places in the field.

That's pretty much how I see it too. I can't see the men's ET giving half the places away regularly and depriving their members money making opportunities. I'd be interested in seeing how it would work though.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We'll get a bit of a taster with the European golf team championships in August but I'd quite like to see it at Pro level

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's pretty much how I see it too. I can't see the men's ET giving half the places away regularly and depriving their members money making opportunities. I'd be interested in seeing how it would work though.

Yep exactly this, would have thought the OP would have thought about this given his vast knowledge before posting

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So this equality thing ....they all play the same course at the same time?

I only ask because of the focus on this aspect by the ladies in the article.

G

guest100718

sure for a couple of fun teams events but otherwise no thanks.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep exactly this, would have thought the OP would have thought about this given his vast knowledge before posting

Sorry can you expand please Bomber? What exactly havent i thought about

There are plenty events throughout the calender are there not where there are smaller fields and there also gaps when majors are on - as can be seen in the article its helped improve the actual overall price money and helped the Pros who support the tour whilst others go away to the PGA etc there is also the challenger tour as well - they could have two events running at the same time at two courses.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry can you expand please Bomber? What exactly havent i thought about

There are plenty events throughout the calender are there not where there are smaller fields and there also gaps when majors are on - as can be seen in the article its helped improve the actual overall price money and helped the Pros who support the tour whilst others go away to the PGA etc there is also the challenger tour as well - they could have two events running at the same time at two courses.

well would all these events get televised and have major sponsorship without harming the main events prize funds not to mention who would play in them what would be the selection process and would the top players actually want to play in them ?

You seem to have all the answers so why dont you explain it all a bit more to avoid any further confusion coz it all seems a bit pie in the sky to me. Even if it was a mixed team event I doubt that the top guys would give up a free week in what would be a busy schedule that they have already got planned and an event like this would cost a lot of cash which I can't see either tour shelling out.

Maybe guys like Westwood or Willet would play but can't see them pulling in sponsors to fund it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

well would all these events get televised and have major sponsorship without harming the main events prize funds not to mention who would play in them what would be the selection process and would the top players actually want to play in them ?

You seem to have all the answers so why dont you explain it all a bit more to avoid any further confusion coz it all seems a bit pie in the sky to me. Even if it was a mixed team event I doubt that the top guys would give up a free weekend in what would be a busy schedule that they have already got planned and an event like this would cost a lot of cash which I can't see either tour shelling out

Well first of all its hard to call it "Pie in the Sky" when its something that has already worked

Take a WGC event - there is massive amount of money already on the event but its limited to a small field - its already televised - add in the top ladies to the event maybe using one of their big LPGA Events which already has sponsership and is televised and combine the two. They both play the same course for their own prize money but mixed groups.

Or look to start low level - combine a Challenge Tour with a LET event - its just an idea thats born from an event that appears to have worked in the Aus PGA.

Always got to look forward and see if we can mix things up a bit - it works in Tennis so why cant it work in Golf ? I suspect lots of top players wouldnt go in at first just like they dont with a lot of new ideas but if it takes off then they come flooding in.

It could well be an event that attracts both men and ladies to the game of golf - or we could do nothing and it stagnates

This for me is a good quote from the article

It's clear the Aussies are more than happy to harness personality to help drive their quest to keep golf innovative, progressive and fit for the 21st century. High summer down under seems to inspire innovation, even in a sport such as golf which still carries a reputation for being stuck in the past.

Ill await your insightful response Bomber which will no doubt be littered with your normal sunny disposition

Imurg

Visit site
I think it’s great and would love to see more events like this. I was disappointed it didn’t seem to get any tv coverage here.

And that, I feel, is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome.
In order to work it needs exposure to bring in financial support.
While I think it's got potential, getting those finances on board may prove tricky.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
And that, I feel, is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome.
In order to work it needs exposure to bring in financial support.
While I think it's got potential, getting those finances on board may prove tricky.

Depends on how you do it. Phil’s WGC plan might have obstacles to overcome but I doubt it’d struggle for sponsorship or exposure.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO 'all' events should be 'open' to anyone.

Courses usually have the different Tees so the fairness can, in theory, be maintained. Perhaps if courses were shorter, but trickier, it might stop the whack-it-and-find-it trend.

I'd anticipated that it would mean the same sponsorship investment being spread across more players because it would be hard to justify female players getting paid less than their male counterparts.

Cramming more players into a 4day tournament would have timing issues but by starting from more Tees (say 1, 6 and 18) it might be possible but probably tricky.

It would be interesting to see how quickly the old guard in the PGA and LPGA came to terms with such an idea.

Could we have cheerleaders?

Imurg

Visit site
Depends on how you do it. Phil’s WGC plan might have obstacles to overcome but I doubt it’d struggle for sponsorship or exposure.

Agreed
The problem there will be persuading the Men's game to let the Women's game in alongside.
There will be calls that it dilutes the WGC event, why don't the women set up their own etc etc..
There would need to be a women's tee - not in itself an issue, just something else to consider - for example, it needs to be placed properly.
To have all the gubbins surrounding pro tees it could be in the way of the men's tee...
The potential is there but it's a long hard road.
There are many issues to be sorted - all sortable but I wonder if both sides have the energy of the will to do it for a few events per year.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it...but a lot of work needed to pull it off..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'd like to see WGC style events where the top 30 from both tours compete for one prize fund, not have two separate comps running side by side. And not off different tees. That just builds in a type of handicapping.

D

Deleted member 16999

I believe it would be great for the game and the only problem stopping it happening will be the men at the top.

If they “buy” into it then I see no obstacles, WGC would be a good start.

D

Deleted member 21258

I'd like to see WGC style events where the top 30 from both tours compete for one prize fund, not have two separate comps running side by side. And not off different tees. That just builds in a type of handicapping.

Agree with this. Or would like to watch more mixed team events (lexi was in one the other month as part of usa and iirc she was the only lady, but would have liked to have seen all teams mixed)

I do know that when I watch sport, that I like to watch the fastest, longest, hardest, strongest etc. I suppose it is to be in awe of the difference between a wally like me and a professional and the difference is massive, like I could not imagine being that fast, or hitting the ball that hard and keeping in play , how ever much I play and trained.

That's applies to all sports including tennis, golf, cycling. As a result for example I tend to watch more mens tennis than womens tennis(but do watch both), that's not sexist its just that the men I am more in awe of but would love to see more mixed golf events for sure.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Exactly. They a can all play from the ladies tees (or mens) but in the professional game there's little point in effectively deciding the winner by the selective placement of the teeing grounds.