Membership of top clubs

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I look at websites of top clubs such as Royal Lytham or Birkdale, I'm amazed that 18 holes of golf cost £200 plus, and I wondered how people get to join these clubs and what it costs them. A lot I'm guessing? Be interesting to hear from anyone who has experience of these places and their rules and traditions.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t think it’s ever as much as you’d think. It’s just the lack of memberships available.

To give context - burnham and Berrow memberships is £1100 a year. They are about to start charging £115 a round for visitors.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
green fees for non members are not based on what it is worth to play that course , it is based on how many people they want . A lot of coures would rather have 50 people paying £100 than 100 people paying £50 . the members get annoyed if the course is always busy when they turn up , so the courses are getting the same income without the course congestion

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, membership of "top" member owned courses is not much.

I believe Muirfield is about £1200. No doubt next to impossible to get in without being a squadron leader, advocate or Tory MP with a hyphenated surname!

Renaissance, next door is about £75k for a debenture and £6k per year.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know how true this is but I was told that Royal St Georges doesn't have a membership fee as such, but the costs of running the club are totalled up at the end of the year then split between members equally. In a year where they host a big event and make a decent profit the members recieve a cheque back. No idea how you become a member though and I guess there is a fairly substantial joining fee.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its probably also a geographical, and population density thing.

NW clubs such as Wallasey, S and A, Hillside's green fees are only round £1,100 to £ 1,300. Joining fees will be 2k plus.

Silloth will be different and probably a lot cheaper. Surrey clubs will be massive, I would have thought, and you will have to be the right "chap".

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't know how true this is but I was told that Royal St Georges doesn't have a membership fee as such, but the costs of running the club are totalled up at the end of the year then split between members equally. In a year where they host a big event and make a decent profit the members recieve a cheque back. No idea how you become a member though and I guess there is a fairly substantial joining fee.

I'd rather have a membership fee! might have to have some pretty deep pockets if its a slow year.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Not sure about RSG but I believe Little Aston and Blackwell do this (probably the most exclusive clubs in the W.Mids)

Guess if prospective have to ask 'how much' then they can't afford it

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Prestwick earlier this year & fell in love with the place. Talking with the starter made me realise that membership was ludicrously cheap for a course of that stature ( although now can't remember the actual price) but that even if god himself signed my application, there was little chance of me getting in this side of armaggedon.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That's the story that goes around here about Muirfield but it is not true. I spoke to a senior member in August. £1200 for full fees and £800 for seniors.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
You would need to be invited to be a member of most of the top clubs. You can't just submit an application. Doesn't work like that.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
That's the story that goes around here about Muirfield but it is not true. I spoke to a senior member in August. £1200 for full fees and £800 for seniors.

I think that story was in reference to Swinley Forest, which never used to be open to the public. At all.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don’t think that is true. One of my neighbours is a member and he isn’t a wealthy chap. He joined as a child and kept his membership up, I think his dad was a member too.

I’ve never asked him what the subs are, but I’m confident he pays subs rather than picking up a share of costs.

This is a rumour I’ve heard about other clubs too (New Zealand being one). It’s probably not true of any as it would make managing cash flow cumbersome. I could believe paying a low sub on the proviso that any deficit would be split between members maybe.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I don’t think that is true. One of my neighbours is a member and he isn’t a wealthy chap. He joined as a child and kept his membership up, I think his dad was a member too.

I’ve never asked him what the subs are, but I’m confident he pays subs rather than picking up a share of costs.

This is a rumour I’ve heard about other clubs too (New Zealand being one). It’s probably not true of any as it would make managing cash flow cumbersome. I could believe paying a low sub on the proviso that any deficit would be split between members maybe.

I heard the rumour about New Zealand too, but it's not true. £1800 a year there, not sure what joining fee is. Before it held a lot of society golfers, members would chip in for any investment needed in the course but thats a while back now from what I heard. Guy who fixed my boiler turned out to be captain of the artisan section and filled me in about it all, pretty interesting actually. The one rumour that is true is that you do have to live further than 20 miles away from the course. Most of their members have it as a second course, and you certainly have to be the right sort to get in.

D

Deleted member 18588

Nor is it true at Little Aston as I was invited to apply for membership.

Decided that I didn't want to change Club at my age and after 30+ years .

Very tempted 'though.