Membership cost increase

sunshine

Visit site
The full membership (over 40s) is now £1775 from £1525 two years ago. By the time I reach that age bracket it'll be well over £2000 by the looks of it - and this is pretty much the cheapest 'proper' club in the area. I think I'll have to move house by then.

Have you considered Pinner Hill? I'm constantly getting adverts for membership on my social media. Or Stanmore, which is easier than Pinner but a much better course in my opinion. Full membership £1.6k.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you considered Pinner Hill? I'm constantly getting adverts for membership on my social media. Or Stanmore, which is easier than Pinner but a much better course in my opinion. Full membership £1.6k.
I hate Pinner Hill and so do my two mates so that won't be happening. 😆

I'm not looking to move clubs now anyway, in all honesty by the time I'm 40 we will hopefully have a second little one and may have moved house further north anyway - at that point I'd see if there was a new club closer to the new home that is more cost effective. For the next couple of years I'll probably stay where I am and grin and bear the cost increase.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm not looking to move clubs now anyway, in all honesty by the time I'm 40 we will hopefully have a second little one and may have moved house further north anyway - at that point I'd see if there was a new club closer to the new home that is more cost effective. For the next couple of years I'll probably stay where I am and grin and bear the cost increase.

Last I heard they were arrested for an untucked shirt in a public area while sporting black shoes with overwashed grey socks.

Public enemy #1 & 2

They won’t get bail.

sunshine

Visit site

I have some mates at Pinner - I enjoy playing it but not enough to be a member. If I lived in that area now I'd be looking at Sandy Lodge for year round golf or Stanmore for a cheaper option.

If you move up north to Watford you could join Aldenham :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have some mates at Pinner - I enjoy playing it but not enough to be a member. If I lived in that area now I'd be looking at Sandy Lodge for year round golf or Stanmore for a cheaper option.

If you move up north to Watford you could join Aldenham :ROFLMAO:
Aldenham is near enough to me now, we considered joining there when we joined Grims Dyke.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I looked at Bearwood many years ago when I had the cash to do it. I simply couldn't afford it at that price (irrespective of a joining fee) at the prices quoted for the year. According to some I know, it has suffered in the wet (as most have) so paying that much for a reduced or closed course would make it sting even more. A shame as it is a fantastic course and facilities but pound for pound my current club gives me all I need and at a cost I can afford

Teebs

Visit site
£1025 for full adult membership (+5% v 2023)

27 holes, driving range and extensive short game area.
Even at £1025, there are still cheaper options in the area but my club offers the best value in terms of overall package.

Genu9

Visit site
I looked at Bearwood many years ago when I had the cash to do it. I simply couldn't afford it at that price (irrespective of a joining fee) at the prices quoted for the year. According to some I know, it has suffered in the wet (as most have) so paying that much for a reduced or closed course would make it sting even more. A shame as it is a fantastic course and facilities but pound for pound my current club gives me all I need and at a cost I can afford
I wonder how many of the original debeture holders are still going. There used to be a monument to the left of 3rd Tee with all their names on it.
Turned out to be one hell of a bargin .........

Visit site
The problem I have with my club is that they claim golf club inflation will always run ahead of CPI, which they are allowed to use to increase without a vote. But I don't see that as being remotely likely. Granted the last 2 years have been very tough, and we are faced with a 2 year increase of around 24-30% depending on your membership category which is painful.

But gas prices are now plummeting. In Europe they are still above pre war prices but in the US, below, and we will likely follow. That eventually feeds into gas influenced items such as fertiliser and other agricultural products. In other words, there could be golf club deflation (and probably is, right now). A year ago it was impossible to find barstaff. As hospitality faces armageddon, now much less so.

The problem is, if clubs pursue an ongoing above inflation increase regardless, eventually it becomes unaffordable. Then the bottom falls out of the post Covid boom, if it hasn't already. Clubs will close but then supply reduction means those that survive can better get away with the high fees. Is golf about to become a truly elite sport over the next 5 years or so?

Viewer

Visit site
So you didn’t have enough cash at the time really then?

Visit site
So you didn’t have enough cash at the time really then?
Is that not a little simplistic? I've posted a few times on the position at my club where they are driving up membership costs (albeit nowhere near the cost quoted in this scenario). Techincally I could afford where they are pushing us in the next few years- close to £2k. Actually I could afford £4k or even higher. I have that cash, easily. But if I did either, it means something else has to be cut. No-one's budget (except maybe a very small minority) is limitless.

So in either of the above scenarios, I can afford it in one sense, literally, I have 'the cash' but I can't afford it in the sense of the loss of things I could do elsewhere.

Affordability of golf is I think going to become a big issue, not literally, but practically.