Medal Hole Maximums

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
imagine a high handicapper gets 12 on a par 5, and has 3 shots. Now, if a scratch golfer does the same,
How often will a scratch golfer get a 12 on a par 5? Real scratch golfers play consistently no more than a couple of strokes either side of scratch. Otherwise they couldn't maintain a scratch handicap.

Swango1980

Visit site
How often will a scratch golfer get a 12 on a par 5? Real scratch golfers play consistently no more than a couple of strokes either side of scratch. Otherwise they couldn't maintain a scratch handicap.
I was using scratch as a simple example. My index is 8.4, and I've had a couple of 10 pluses this year. Off top of my head, a mate under 5.0 had an 11. At our course, it is very very easy to have cricket scores on a hole. Miss the fairway, ball either lost, or only unplayable option is stroke and distance as nowhere to drop.

My point was, maximum score benefits a higher handicapper over a lower player, as they are effectively punished less for a bad hole in comparison to handicap

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was using scratch as a simple example. My index is 8.4, and I've had a couple of 10 pluses this year. Off top of my head, a mate under 5.0 had an 11. At our course, it is very very easy to have cricket scores on a hole. Miss the fairway, ball either lost, or only unplayable option is stroke and distance as nowhere to drop.

My point was, maximum score benefits a higher handicapper over a lower player, as they are effectively punished less for a bad hole in comparison to handicap
Are you referring to comp results or the effect on handicap index?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's pretty clear that stableford and maximum score competitions favour higher handicaps rather than lower.

For me, the real debate is whether the positive effect that may have on high handicaps is greater than the negative effect it has on lower handicaps, ie if it suits the majority of members to play more stablefords than medals then fair enough. As long as there's a reasonable balance of comps throughout the season then I don't see any real grounds for complaint. Although making a lot of opens stableford, as our club has started to do, potentially opens the bandit can of worms right up...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's pretty clear that stableford and maximum score competitions favour higher handicaps rather than lower.

For me, the real debate is whether the positive effect that may have on high handicaps is greater than the negative effect it has on lower handicaps, ie if it suits the majority of members to play more stablefords than medals then fair enough. As long as there's a reasonable balance of comps throughout the season then I don't see any real grounds for complaint. Although making a lot of opens stableford, as our club has started to do, potentially opens the bandit can of worms right up...
I think your right.
Our really low men are members at other courses and just don’t play In stablefords.
They play elsewhere in a medal.
Didn’t see the very high caps at first but they are getting top ten finishes now every week as they get used to the shots they have and start to compete .
This shows they could not play to a max of 28.
Heard a guy say last week “ he was down to 3rd place after shooting 67 net on a card playoff by someone who never broke 100”
Not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing for golf.!
As for opens you know the format when you enter, but this will put a lot of people off as the scores get very silly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The plot thickens.....

"Thanks for your email and I will consider your suggestion of a rules clarification email.
However, your playing partners are correct in that there is a local rule, in line with CONGU guidance, which allows a maximum score on a hole of PAR +5. The score entry forced this before WHS software changes and will again be incorporated into the software in the future."

This was from our H/C sec in response to my e mail questioning what had happened as outlines in my initial post.

Can this be right? Jesus Christ !!!!!!!!!
Come on rules people. Where are you? I'm completely lost now! What the hell is going on?
FFS! Read Post 2 - the very first reply!!!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think your right.
Our really low men are members at other courses and just don’t play In stablefords.
They play elsewhere in a medal.
Didn’t see the very high caps at first but they are getting top ten finishes now every week.........

:unsure: Could the higher handicappers' appearance in the top ten finishes have something to do with the low handicappers playing elsewhere?

Just asking ;)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
FFS! Read Post 2 - the very first reply!!!

Well, due to the !!!! and the profanity, I thought I'd better. So I did, again. And you see that although RF has given an answer it's not what it APPEARED to be happening at my place.

A medal competition requires you to put out on every hole. If you don't you are DQd from the comp.
Comps are listed as medals, BUT, it transpires, that because the new software cannot accept comps being put as MSC they are in as medals, causing me confusion as I wasn't aware that the club was playing said comps listed as "medals" as MSC

However, you may return your score for handicapping purposes as you will be scored as net double bogey for incomplete holes.
So if you score a massive total on a hole the system just recognises the score as "net double bogey". Yup got that.

Incidentally, there is now a new approved form of play - Maximum Score. It may be worth investigating this idea with your committee.
Aha! Now then, this is apparently what our place is doing, unbeknown to me, but now I know and understand, but didn't when I first read this.

I still don't like the idea. And apart from on here, everyone I've spoken to so far, looks at me like I'm stupid as I explain the system and they utter the words "That's utter" ...well I'm sure you know what.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...I thought I'd better. So I did, again. And you see that although RF has given an answer it's not what it APPEARED to be happening at my place.
Wjemather proposed an entirely valid reason why you may have been confused - in Post 9 still the 1st page! Does your club use Club Sytstems (Club2000/HowDidIDo) software?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might suggest this. We have a huge seniors section who's H/C's have now lept up.

We too have a very large seniors section with normally around 100 players in each Monday comp. we have 3 divisions with prize money for 3 players in each division.
When we play medals there is also a prize for best gross.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could it have more to do with the slope of your course than stableford scoring?
No .
My honest opinion is these guys just could not compete off 28.
For whatever reason.
The main one being length as mostly seniors.
They just didn’t have the length to get on some holes in three.
So the few extra shots has really helped them
None are shooting the lights out but they are at least competitive now.
So it’s been good for them.
We usually have a good spread of prizes over the handicaps.
But it’s horses for courses atm.
If it’s damp and no run the low men shine.
Hard and running the high caps come into it.
Time will tell I suppose.
But no system will please everyone .