Medal Hole Maximums

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I didn't know what msc were. I've looked it up, and if I understand it properly, I don't see what big difference , essentially,there is from a stableford.
So I have to ask what the need is for this "msc" ? As far as I can see, its advantages over a medal are the same as those afforded by a stableford. What is better about a msc than a stableford.
Have I missed something??

wjemather

Visit site
I didn't know what msc were. I've looked it up, and if I understand it properly, I don't see what big difference , essentially,there is from a stableford.
So I have to ask what the need is for this "msc" ? As far as I can see, its advantages over a medal are the same as those afforded by a stableford. What is better about a msc than a stableford.
https://www.englandgolf.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Max-Score-Competitions-CONGU.pdf

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would not many of the shots come from the slope element of WHS? The course rating may have had an effect but not relative to others in your club
Yes I am sure that’s the case as well.
But those extra shots have made them competitive again and that’s a good thing imo.
It must be hard going into a comp knowing you have no chance of playing to the max handicap.
That’s the biggest change for me ,that I can see anyway.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I am sure that’s the case as well.
But those extra shots have made them competitive again and that’s a good thing imo.
It must be hard going into a comp knowing you have no chance of playing to the max handicap.
That’s the biggest change for me ,that I can see anyway.
Another thought, under WHS 95% affects the actual # strokes received now as opposed to UHS.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not quite the same as stableford in terms of "qualifying" competitions and playing handicaps.

Take a player in a comp with Playing Handicap of 18 so gets a shot a hole,

Stableford, he runs out of shots after 5 on par 3, 6 on par 4, 7 on par 5.

Maximum Score, he can go up to 8 on par 3, 9 on par 4, 10 on par 5 and still be in the Medal if it's set up as Maximum Score.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Not quite the same as stableford in terms of "qualifying" competitions and playing handicaps.

Take a player in a comp with Playing Handicap of 18 so gets a shot a hole,

Stableford, he runs out of shots after 5 on par 3, 6 on par 4, 7 on par 5.

Maximum Score, he can go up to 8 on par 3, 9 on par 4, 10 on par 5 and still be in the Medal if it's set up as Maximum Score.

Thank you. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems to me that it's a way to speed up 'Medal' play - allowing more folk to play in Medals - yet not totally exclude those who have a mare hole from the comp - so that group isn't too adversely affected by whoever 'had the mare'! As score for handicap still comes down to Stableford, it becomes a 'truer' round.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Doesn't the 95% mitigate that?
Where do you get your stats from?

Re Stablefords

Divisions should mitigate that anyway. Where I play I am only competing against players with similar handicaps.

Sorry, been a few days. No stats but in medal play every hole counts, whereas they don't in stableford and high scores are capped in maximums. It stands to reason that those comps are more forgiving and don't require the same level of consistency throughout a round that medal play does, therefore favouring players who might throw in the odd really high score on a hole which would screw up a medal round but wouldn't matter as much in the other two formats.

badgergm

Visit site
Slight hijack, but relevant I think. Asked elsewhere but didn’t gget an answer.

what is max score in par/bogey comp? Net bogey (lost hole) or net double bogey (also lost hole). cant See this defined anywhere. Rules still advise picking up when lost hole. That’s ok pre WHS, but doesn’t seem right for WHS.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

what is max score in par/bogey comp? Net bogey (lost hole) or net double bogey (also lost hole). cant See this defined anywhere. Rules still advise picking up when lost hole. That’s ok pre WHS, but doesn’t seem right for WHS.

What the good book says about par/bogey comps:

"As the format is singles stroke play, the stroke allowance is 95% of the Course Handicap. In addition, as both Stableford and Par/Bogey formats are scored against the Par of the course, rather than the Course Rating, the Playing Handicap calculation includes an adjustment to reflect the difference to ‘play to handicap’ between the mixed/multi-tee courses. (Rule 6.2b (ii)).

It is perhaps worth pointing out that with a 95% stroke allowance there may be players who receive fewer strokes for competition purposes (PH) than they do for handicap purposes (CH). This could range from a single stroke (integer Course Handicap of 11) to 3 or even 4 strokes fewer. As with Maximum Score, players should not pick up too soon in Stableford or Par/Bogey formats - they should play with reference to their Course Handicaps in such events and let the software deal with the competition outcome."

So, the player needs to be aware of where he/she receives strokes for handicap purposes and, where a net par or better is not achieved after applying those strokes, enter 0 for the hole score and the computer does the calculation.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

For handicapping, nothing changes. Your score at any hole is capped at a net double bogey. If you don't hole out, it's a net double bogey; if you hole out higher than a net double bogey, it's reduced to a net double bogey.

I have a feeling that this is so obvious, it's not what you were asking. :unsure:

badgergm

Visit site
For handicapping, nothing changes. Your score at any hole is capped at a net double bogey. If you don't hole out, it's a net double bogey; if you hole out higher than a net double bogey, it's reduced to a net double bogey.

I have a feeling that this is so obvious, it's not what you were asking. :unsure:

It does seem obvious but

badgergm

Visit site
It does seem obvious but

Sorry, didn't complete. Does seem obvious but I see that Rule 21.3b still says:

"To help pace of play, players are encouraged to stop playing a hole when their score exceeds the fixed score (as they have lost the hole)."

which wouldn't be a good idea handicap wise. Pre WHS I don't think there was any difference handicap wise between net bogey and net double bogey - now there is?

badgergm

Visit site
Sorry, didn't complete. Does seem obvious but I see that Rule 21.3b still says:

"To help pace of play, players are encouraged to stop playing a hole when their score exceeds the fixed score (as they have lost the hole)."

which wouldn't be a good idea handicap wise. Pre WHS I don't think there was any difference handicap wise between net bogey and net double bogey - now there is?

Thinking about this more then of course this could affect how you play. Should I go for this difficult shot which maximises chance of a half and which risks double bogey? Or shall i play safe and secure a bogey?

Any other similar scenario currently where a player has to choose between competition and handicap?

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Quickly skimmed through the thread, as previously mentioned, we play "maximum score + 5" now in medal rounds and submit the scores for official handicapping. You can just pick up and put the par + 5 score on the scorecard and move on. It speeds up the game and prevents player meltdown on the course. And it is legal.