Medal Hole Maximums

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there a maximum you can score on a hole in a medal? EG. Three balls into a pond on a par three. Pick up and walk to next hole announcing just put me down for +5, in this case, a par three, giving him an 8? But then carry on playing in the medal?

Surely not........

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A medal competition requires you to put out on every hole. If you don't you are DQd from the comp.
However, you may return your score for handicapping purposes as you will be scored as net double bogey for incomplete holes.

Incidentally, there is now a new approved form of play - Maximum Score. It may be worth investigating this idea with your committee.

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you play medal then it's medal. If you want to be able to pick up, play stableford.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If I’m having a bad round in a medal and no chance of winning, I revert to stableford for handicap. I will not continue putting out for nothing and dragging the day on for everyone else.
It’s the right thing to do.

So exactly how is the way to go about this?
Suppose on hole 4 I have a nightmare and decide to pick up. At that point I am disqualified from the medal. What goes on the card for that hole"N/R"?
Then I carry on putting the score for subsequent holes, and if too many ( pick up) on any, then double bogey?
Just asking for a friend ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Suppose on hole 4 I have a nightmare and decide to pick up. At that point I am disqualified from the medal. What goes on the card for that hole"N/R"?
Yes! Though I have seen (and accepted) a Dash
Then I carry on putting the score for subsequent holes, and if too many ( pick up) on any, then double bogey?
No! Anothe 'NR' is (was) the 'proper' way to record it. And I presume you meant Nett DB. However, as the effect is the same, a Dash or the Nett DB value has the same effect.
Btw. Unless your score on any hole after the DQ (first NR) is registered is going to be another monster, I'd suggest that not putting out is more likely to disturb the group 'atmosphere' than help its flow.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Just asking for a friend ?
"NR", "0", and "-" are the usual recommended ways to denote a hole started but picked up, but anything that makes it clear what is meant should be accepted.
Following a DQ causing NR, all remaining holes should be recorded as normal for handicapping, recording "NR" for all holes picked up once net double-bogey is reached. Remember it is always your Course Handicap that needs to be considered for all net double-bogey pick-ups (i.e. not Playing Handicap).

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Remember it is always your Course Handicap that needs to be considered for all net double-bogey pick-ups (i.e. not Playing Handicap).

I have yet to play with someone who is aware if this. I got a strange look when I mentioned it the other day.

If I’m having a bad round in a medal and no chance of winning, I revert to stableford for handicap. I will not continue putting out for nothing and dragging the day on for everyone else.
It’s the right thing to do.

Agreed..... :)

wjemather

Visit site
I have yet to play with someone who is aware if this. I got a strange look when I mentioned it the other day.
CONGU has always operated a competition focussed handicap system, so players have naturally focussed on Playing Handicaps with the transition to WHS; the idea of an all-golf course handicap calculated from a standardised index, with different competition (and format) allowances remains a mystery to many.

In addition, many clubs have simply not done a good enough job at communicating WHS to their members. Of course, they have not been helped greatly by the unions who, having diverged from the baseline and adopted different options from each other far too much, produced excessively complex and detailed educational materials that clouded the basics and largely put people off reading them.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
CONGU has always operated a competition focussed handicap system, so players have naturally focussed on Playing Handicaps with the transition to WHS; the idea of an all-golf course handicap calculated from a standardised index, with different competition (and format) allowances remains a mystery to many.

In addition, many clubs have simply not done a good enough job at communicating WHS to their members. Of course, they have not been helped greatly by the unions who, having diverged from the baseline and adopted different options from each other far too much, produced excessively complex and detailed educational materials that clouded the basics and largely put people off reading them.

What different options did you have in mind?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Neither the Unions or clubs understood what is required to manage change of this type and scale. But bigger and better run organisations than these also mess it up.

Ignore the cultural dimension and you get where we are now. Amusingly, most of those responsible don't even know what they missed.

wjemather

Visit site
What different options did you have in mind?
I won't list them all, but rounded/unrounded CH used in PH calculation is the big one, along with the "trial" of additional acceptable formats and MLS in Ireland. As for deviation from the baseline (all done with the misguided aim of maintaining continuity with UHS), let's just start with the nonsense of not including CR-Par in the 18-hole Course Handicap calculation but using it for 9-hole CHs; then there's scaled-up 9-hole scores with it's questionable scaling-up formula and related low minimum hole requirements for 18-hole scores, etc., etc.
And let's not ignore the unions using different providers for their WHS Platforms that cannot talk to each other, let alone systems elsewhere around the world.

Reactions: D-S

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with a 1 hcap golfer this morning.
He was -2 on 17th tee when he hit OOB he put his next OOB so 5 off the tee .
Hits on the green then just picked his ball up.
“ it’s only double bogey on WHS but if I 2 putt it’s 8 “
Par on 18 gave him 72 gross.
So is this in the spirit of the game or just sensible use of the rules.?
Just he knew there was a 65 in so he wasn’t winning anything.

wjemather

Visit site
Assuming it was a medal, he did not have a 72 gross as he failed to hole out on every hole, and should be DQ'd from the comp as a result.
His "adjusted gross" for handicapping would be 72, as it would be regardless of whether he picked up, made an actual (net) double-bogey, or holed out for an 8 (or more). As such, he has no reason for picking up in this situation other than deliberately DQing himself.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course he is dq'd in stroke play for not holing out. For handicap purposes, his score for the hole will be 7 so what does it matter?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Assuming it was a medal, he did not have a 72 gross as he failed to hole out on every hole, and should be DQ'd from the comp as a result.
His "adjusted gross" for handicapping would be 72, as it would be regardless of whether he picked up, made an actual (net) double-bogey, or holed out for an 8 (or more). As such, he has no reason for picking up in this situation other than deliberately DQing himself.

I assumed the player was referring to “for handicap/playing record“ purposes, as he’d surely know he was out of the comp.

Of course he is dq'd in stroke play for not holing out. For handicap purposes, his score for the hole will be 7 so what does it matter?

Saving one shot could be a big difference to a one handicapper.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Shows he does not know how it works. Anything worse than nett double bogey is reduced to nett double bogey for handicap purposes so picking up or recording 8 it's the same thing.