Measuring devices on the iPhone

Kelsey

Visit site
The R&A ruling banning the use of iPhone measuring devices doesn't make a lot of sense. The ruling stipulates you can't use them in competitions because you can access wind speeds, weather reports. And more absurdly wind direction by using the compass. Not sure about you but I've always thrown grass in the air! At Boom, we built the app 'Golf Course Planner' that can be uploaded from the App Stores to use on a smartphone out on the course. Personally I just use the app and never look at the compass or weather reports. So what the ruling is saying is that golfers cannot be trusted to just use an app. Surely there are a million other ways of cheating than seeing if the wind is blowing from NNW or NW? I wish I was that good a golfer for it to make a difference!!

And... the R&A now have an app for golf rules. Does that mean I can't use their app on the course in case I have a sneaky look at the wind direction! Crazy!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The R&A ruling banning the use of iPhone measuring devices doesn't make a lot of sense. The ruling stipulates you can't use them in competitions because you can access wind speeds, weather reports. And more absurdly wind direction by using the compass. Not sure about you but I've always thrown grass in the air! At Boom, we built the app 'Golf Course Planner' that can be uploaded from the App Stores to use on a smartphone out on the course. Personally I just use the app and never look at the compass or weather reports. So what the ruling is saying is that golfers cannot be trusted to just use an app. Surely there are a million other ways of cheating than seeing if the wind is blowing from NNW or NW? I wish I was that good a golfer for it to make a difference!!

And... the R&A now have an app for golf rules. Does that mean I can't use their app on the course in case I have a sneaky look at the wind direction! Crazy!

They make the rules we just follow them!

DCB

Visit site
I'm going to nip out to tesco and get some nibbles and a case of Miller, anyone else want anything for this evenings entertainment ;)

Don't start without me now....

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might want to check the guys illustrious post history as well. 5 posts and all about iphone apps :mmm:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Every post is an app post. The R&A have made their decision and until that is changed you can't use them in comps. No point whinging. They are the rules get over it.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

Why would you spend time and money designing something that is not a lot of use for half the active golfers?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The rule is fairly simple but people still misunderstand it :mad:

Having an an internet browser to look up the weather or anything else doesn't render the phone illegal. The problem is if the phone can physically measure anything other than distance that the rules say you aren't allowed to have.

Even then, it only means you can't use the phone as a DMD. It says nothing about not having the phone with you, for example to use the rules app.

The app isn't necessarily a waste of time. Lots of golfers might use it in practice rounds to make notes of distances for competition, or even be golfers that don't like playing in competitions so they can use it whenever they like.

The rule is there and no amount of complaining on here will do anything to change that.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The telling sentence in the OP is the line, "at Boom, we built". This is obviously a veiled attempt to market a golf app isn't it?