Matchplay order of putting

Mike Saxton

Visit site
In matchplay, if my ball lies on the green close to the hole can my opponent insist that I mark it, or do I have the option instead to simply putt out - even though it is not my turn?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In your matchplay scenario, it would be your opponent's turn to play first. So, if you putted it in - rather than marking it - he can cancel your stroke (if he so chooses). But you could ask if you can putt it in - and if he agrees , it would be fine. (But given he asked you to mark it, I'm guessing he's not likely to have agreed).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was having a few holes with a relatively new member - though he’d been playing a bit before joining. He is keen to get to know the rules and so often will ask…and I’ll often point things out as we go round, I do this with quite a few new members in role of mentor.

We were having a little match. On the last green with him needing to win to halve the match he chipped on from closer than my putt. I mentioned (with a smile) that I could ask him to take his ball back and replay his shot after I’d putted. Bemused, he thought it was him to play as he was off the green and I was on it…I acquainted him with the matchplay ruling. Basic stuff for more experienced golfers, but to know you have to be told.

Btw…I didn’t ask him to replay his shot after I’d putted (it wasn’t very good in any case)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was having a few holes with a relatively new member - though he’d been playing a bit before joining. He is keen to get to know the rules and so often will ask…and I’ll often point things out as we go round, I do this with quite a few new members in role of mentor.

We were having a little match. On the last green with him needing to win to halve the match he chipped on from closer than my putt. I mentioned (with a smile) that I could ask him to take his ball back and replay his shot after I’d putted. Bemused, he thought it was him to play as he was off the green and I was on it…I acquainted him with the matchplay ruling. Basic stuff for more experienced golfers, but to know you have to be told.

Btw…I didn’t ask him to replay his shot after I’d putted (it wasn’t very good in any case)
Did you mean that after you had putted you could have then asked him to play again?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
😂 surely someone in a club matchplay wouldn’t make someone take a putt again even if out of turn 😂

Seen it happen loads and never bothered anyone
As I said to my mate…I’ve never asked an opponent, or been asked myself, to replay a shot. But I’m aware it’s happened and so just letting my friend know as I believe he hasn’t yet played any competition matches.

I mentioned it ‘jokingly’ to him as his chip was pretty good and pretty much sealed his win on the hole, our last, with a win giving him a half in the match. I could still have halved the hole and so win our match. Just in that context I thought it worth mentioning the rule.

Steven Rules

Visit site
My mate "lost a hole" because he played out turn when he knocked a short putt into the hole.
I told him to learn the rules.
If it was so short and easy and reflexive, why didn't he just 'knock' it again when it was his correct turn?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
😂 surely someone in a club matchplay wouldn’t make someone take a putt again even if out of turn 😂

Seen it happen loads and never bothered anyone

I did. 20th extra hole, and giving a shot. Was pairs match play, and due to a comms issue, I was playing on my own against 2. Dragged it to 20th, and the guy knocked it to a few feet and then walked up to tap it in. I cancelled it out and asked him to replay when it was his go. Obviously, he holed it…but if he had missed we would have gone on to the 21st hole.

Swango1980

Visit site
My mate asked someone to retake their putt in a 4BBB match. They knocked their ball to about 5 or 6 feet, my mate had a putt a bit longer than that. My mate knew that if he made the putt it would putt the pressure on them, but before we knew it, the chap had walked up to his ball and knocked it in.

The chap was a quick player anyway, so that is how he plays. Just walks up to the ball and putts it. Partly because he likes to play quick, partly because he doesn't like overthinking or stressing about what to do. But, my mate told him he played out of turn, and he'd need to put it back, as I mate didn't want to have to putt out knowing a miss would definitely lose the hole. The chap wasn't too happy, but did so. Mate made his putt, the chap then retook the putt and missed it.