Closed Hole - Matchplay Rule

Wikk

Visit site
Hole closed for maintenance / works.
What happens in Matchplay, eg: Club Knockouts?
We are close to getting this scenario and hole closures being a sure thing.

If the hole can't be played what happens if this is a hole where a player has a shot?
eg: Player X has 1 shot. S.I 1 hole is closed.
Tough luck? Shot used on S.I 2 hole instead?

I could be missing something obvious but any knowledge or experience for Matchplay hole closures would be appreciated, thanks.

Steven Rules

Visit site
A similar question came up earlier this year.

As I said at the time, this is an issue for the host club and the tournament organiser to solve.

Last edited:

Wikk

Visit site
A similar question came up earlier this year.

As I said at the time: "Why is this your problem to solve? What is the host club and the tournament organiser doung about it?"
The host club does not know the answer. The tournament organiser is the host club. Hence the query.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As per above - it's down to what the committee decide to stipulate. At ours recently, holes 4 & 5 (SI 13 & 3 respectively) were out - so committee determined that matches were to be played over 16 holes with SIs as per the existing card. (ie if you would have got a shot on either of those holes, then tough). Effectively it just equates to those holes being halved.

Steven Rules

Visit site
It is up to the Committee to decide.

Will a round consist of 18 holes? Or fewer holes? If 18, then which holes are to be played twice?

It is also up to the Committee to determine where handicap strokes are to be allocated.

That's why they get paid the big money - to make these lofty decisions.