Giving shots in Matchplay

salfordlad

Visit site
My head hurts.

Assuming both players are mutually happy with the result, my inclination would be to roll my eyes back and let it go. I often shudder to think what might be going on in some of these club-level matches (or stroke play groups too for that matter). This is hardly the most egregious of 'wrongs'.
I'm in the 'gain without pain' camp. If they agree who won then stick with that. If the result is in doubt, application of a little more science may be needed.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know the old rules (pre 2019) have been superceded so don't know whether following (or anything similar) still has any relevance - but the old decision 6-1/1 was that if the wrong form of play was used unintentionally, then the match should be replayed. (If the match was intentionally played in the wrong form, then both players would be DQ)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
SR

Thanks for the reply and perhaps I should have provided more clarity.

2 members were DUE to play each in a Match Play club Competition. Unfortunately rather than play Match Play they played the competition as stroke play. In the end @The. 18th they took off the relevant shots for a stroke play Comp to find the winner. Strange I know.

Sure it is not covered in the COC or whatever it is called.

Should the match be replayed under Match Play Rules OR something else?
Assumming that the result was posted before this came to the attentIon of the committee and that the players were not aware they should he played under MP rules, then the result stands as far as I can see.

berniethebolt

Visit site
You don't seem to understand the difference between the fairness of the Rules and fairness, or otherwise, of the game itself. And if you think that's 'splitting hairs', there's little point discussing the difference. It's as different as knowing how an aeroplane flies and knowing how to fly an aeroplane!
Bear in mind that the Rules did not come down from Mt. Sinai carved in stone. They are the result of many people over many years trying to make “fair” regulations while often walking a narrow line between what is ideal and what is practical. They have been changed many times as what was considered “unfair” has become “fair” – e.g. hitting the ball twice? - and will no doubt change again. On a different thread there was someone complaining that he had to treat his ball as lost when in fact he could not find it because someone else had already hit it by mistake. Certainly "unfair" but the only practical ruling that avoids potentially holding up play.

If I am playing Fred at matchplay, a game that is not over a fixed number of holes - it may last 18 holes but is much more likely to be less or even more but still the same game and the handicaps require that I give him 10 shots then so be it. If it goes to the 19th and he gets another shot then the handicaps have effectively been altered during a game as I am now giving him 11 shots. Are there any other situations where this happens in the middle of a game? If you say that it is in effect a new game then does having a potentially 1 hole game even begin to make sense. This is a situation that many feel is “unfair” and perhaps one day it will be changed but at the moment that is the rule.

Swango1980

Visit site
Bear in mind that the Rules did not come down from Mt. Sinai carved in stone. They are the result of many people over many years trying to make “fair” regulations while often walking a narrow line between what is ideal and what is practical. They have been changed many times as what was considered “unfair” has become “fair” – e.g. hitting the ball twice? - and will no doubt change again. On a different thread there was someone complaining that he had to treat his ball as lost when in fact he could not find it because someone else had already hit it by mistake. Certainly "unfair" but the only practical ruling that avoids potentially holding up play.

If I am playing Fred at matchplay, a game that is not over a fixed number of holes - it may last 18 holes but is much more likely to be less or even more but still the same game and the handicaps require that I give him 10 shots then so be it. If it goes to the 19th and he gets another shot then the handicaps have effectively been altered during a game as I am now giving him 11 shots. Are there any other situations where this happens in the middle of a game? If you say that it is in effect a new game then does having a potentially 1 hole game even begin to make sense. This is a situation that many feel is “unfair” and perhaps one day it will be changed but at the moment that is the rule.
Handicaps have not been altered. Handicaps are calculated for 18 holes. Our club champs are this weekend. The nett trophy will use double everyones handicap, as it is over 36 holes. Surely you think that is fair, or do you think players should all play off scratch for the second round for the nett competition?