Giving shots in Matchplay

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I accept that it is the rule that a player may get another shot on the 19th because he is a less able golfer. But it is still unfair because if he gets a shot on the first hole and, as a result wins it, then I still have 17 holes to recover the situation. If it is the 19th and he uses his shot to win the hole then the game is over and I have no opportunity to recover. Of course if the Committee follow R & A guidelines and make the first a middling stoke index hole then there would have to be a considerable difference in handicap for the situation to occur and one would like to think that the better golfer would still be competitive.
He gets a shot from you on any particular hole because you have demonstrated by virtue of your handicap that you are a better player. If he didn't get shots you would beat him every time. That's what handicaps are all about.
Wasn't the Powderhall Sprint an attempt to equalize ability? Golf seems to be making a better fist of it.

D

Deleted member 3432

Best way to deal with giving shots in matchplay is get your foot on their throat early doors and finish it as early as you can ?

Worrying about shots in extra holes is negative thinking, let them worry about you being the better player....

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Best way to deal with giving shots in matchplay is get your foot on their throat early doors and finish it as early as you can ?

Worrying about shots in extra holes is negative thinking, let them worry about you being the better player....

This in abundance.

They have the shots for a reason. Youre both off 10 for a reason.... Batter them with consistency

Swango1980

Visit site
He gets a shot from you on any particular hole because you have demonstrated by virtue of your handicap that you are a better player. If he didn't get shots you would beat him every time. That's what handicaps are all about.
Wasn't the Powderhall Sprint an attempt to equalize ability? Golf seems to be making a better fist of it.
I completely agree with the general point of your post, but you are pushing it a little with the bit in bold :)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I accept that it is the rule that a player may get another shot on the 19th because he is a less able golfer. But it is still unfair because if he gets a shot on the first hole and, as a result wins it, then I still have 17 holes to recover the situation. If it is the 19th and he uses his shot to win the hole then the game is over and I have no opportunity to recover. Of course if the Committee follow R & A guidelines and make the first a middling stoke index hole then there would have to be a considerable difference in handicap for the situation to occur and one would like to think that the better golfer would still be competitive.
Yeah, but you already had 18 holes in which to beat him. But didn't.

berniethebolt

Visit site
I would have thought that was obvious. If the player receives 18 shots he gets a shot on every hole so could be just as likely to win it on the 1st, 2nd and so on.
Yes but I thought you were trying to make some interesting point rather than state the bleeding obvious!

berniethebolt

Visit site
1. Who ever suggested that Golf is fair?
2. That's how 'Sudden Death' works!
3. If it's truly rated such that someone gets a shot in hole 1, it's likely actually a harder hole than its rating - because of the previously stated policy of having higher SI than real difficulty for the early holes.
1. Who ever suggested that Golf is fair?
2. That's how 'Sudden Death' works!
3. If it's truly rated such that someone gets a shot in hole 1, it's likely actually a harder hole than its rating - because of the previously stated policy of having higher SI than real difficulty for the early holes.
Who ever suggested that Golf is fair? Strange that we have a rule book umpteen pages long trying to prevent one player getting an unfair advantage over others. Perhaps it's just so some people can spend ages splitting hairs into ever smaller and smaller pieces and lose sight of what the rules are there for in the first place.

D

Deleted member 15344

Who ever suggested that Golf is fair? Strange that we have a rule book umpteen pages long trying to prevent one player getting an unfair advantage over others. Perhaps it's just so some people can spend ages splitting hairs into ever smaller and smaller pieces and lose sight of what the rules are there for in the first place.

The same rule book that allows handicaps and gives people shots on other people in matchplay ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You don't seem to understand the difference between the fairness of the Rules and fairness, or otherwise, of the game itself. And if you think that's 'splitting hairs', there's little point discussing the difference. It's as different as knowing how an aeroplane flies and knowing how to fly an aeroplane!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are playing stroke play you are in effect playing against the course. If your handicap is 10 say, the course is giving you 10 strokes. So if you play in a 36 hole competition do you think it fair or unfair that you should get another 10 strokes for the second 18 holes?

RRidges

Visit site
Well, we got hammered. Won the first hole, halved the second. The following 6 holes were shot holes for the opposition. At the turn, we were 4 down. Halved 10, won 11. And then had 4 more shot holes in a row for the opposition. The 23 handicapper parred the last 2 of the 4 and we were done. He actually would have got shots on the last 2 holes but didn't need them.
Doesn't seem like he'll be a 23 capper for long. At least if he can become consistent. How many other holes did he win, as opposed to his partner? I wouldn't call 5&3 'hammered' though. It was holes 3-8 that was your downfall imo.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nothing relating to this thread but Matchplay and not worth a separate thread.

a couple of players at our place were entered in a Matchplay Competition. They played it as a stroke play and a player ‘won’ on the 18th. not sure how.

What should happen please?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Got QF of Summer singles KO coming up soon...giving 7 shots to a decent (and improving) 16 handicapper. Gonna be tough getting my foot so positioned early on - but I shall give it a go :)

Steven Rules

Visit site
Nothing relating to this thread but Matchplay and not worth a separate thread.

a couple of players at our place were entered in a Matchplay Competition. They played it as a stroke play and a player ‘won’ on the 18th. not sure how.

What should happen please?
We would probably need a little more info to provide solid guidance. As you say, you are uncertain exactly how they went about it.

Combining match play and stroke play is discouraged but not forbidden. The Committee needs to provide guidance ahead of time.

Extract from Committee Procedures 6C(12). (There is a bit more but this will do.)

6C(12)
Combining Match Play and Stroke Play
The combining of match play and stroke play is discouraged as certain Rules are substantially different between the two formats. But there will be times when players either request to combine the two forms of play or, having done so on their own, request a ruling. The Committee should make its best efforts to support players at these times and should use the following guidelines in doing so.
When players request to combine match play and stroke play
If a Committee chooses to allow players to play a match while competing in a stroke-play competition, it is recommended that the players be advised that the Rules for stroke play apply throughout. For example, no concessions are allowed and if one player plays out of turn, the other does not have the option of recalling the stroke.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We would probably need a little more info to provide solid guidance. As you say, you are uncertain exactly how they went about it.

Combining match play and stroke play is discouraged but not forbidden. The Committee needs to provide guidance ahead of time.

Extract from Committee Procedures 6C(12). (There is a bit more but this will do.)

6C(12)
Combining Match Play and Stroke Play
The combining of match play and stroke play is discouraged as certain Rules are substantially different between the two formats. But there will be times when players either request to combine the two forms of play or, having done so on their own, request a ruling. The Committee should make its best efforts to support players at these times and should use the following guidelines in doing so.
When players request to combine match play and stroke play
If a Committee chooses to allow players to play a match while competing in a stroke-play competition, it is recommended that the players be advised that the Rules for stroke play apply throughout. For example, no concessions are allowed and if one player plays out of turn, the other does not have the option of recalling the stroke.
SR

Thanks for the reply and perhaps I should have provided more clarity.

2 members were DUE to play each in a Match Play club Competition. Unfortunately rather than play Match Play they played the competition as stroke play. In the end @The. 18th they took off the relevant shots for a stroke play Comp to find the winner. Strange I know.

Sure it is not covered in the COC or whatever it is called.

Should the match be replayed under Match Play Rules OR something else?

Steven Rules

Visit site
SR

Thanks for the reply and perhaps I should have provided more clarity.

2 members were DUE to play each in a Match Play club Competition. Unfortunately rather than play Match Play they played the competition as stroke play. In the end @The. 18th they took off the relevant shots for a stroke play Comp to find the winner. Strange I know.

Sure it is not covered in the COC or whatever it is called.

Should the match be replayed under Match Play Rules OR something else?
My head hurts.

Assuming both players are mutually happy with the result, my inclination would be to roll my eyes back and let it go. I often shudder to think what might be going on in some of these club-level matches (or stroke play groups too for that matter). This is hardly the most egregious of 'wrongs'.