Matchplay mentality

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
Just play your own game, and don't give the holes away to silly shots.and see there first 12inch to 18inch putt out, to see if they are confident over them.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Thanks for all the advice and opinions!

Happy to report I won my QF 4&2... level at the turn, but won 10 and 13 with an up-and-down from the sand for par. That rattled him a bit and he started to crumble; I won on 15 with a 4, and then clinched the match on 16 without having to putt after he put his second into the pond, then thinned through the green out of the drop zone. I was 8 feet from the pin in 3 and he conceded. Match was played in good spirits too.

I played steady golf, kept my mistakes to a minimum and looking forward now to my semi-final on Thursday against a good mate. Should be a cracking game.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done. I speak on behalf of the forum when I say that this victory was entirely down to us. But well done for hitting the little ball about also. You did your part I guess

:lol:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
this is completely the opposite the opinions given in most of the responses so far - although in fairness I'm not actually sure what If he's blown a drive into the trees, take something that will get you down the fairway is supposed to mean - if it's anything other than playing your normal game with the bias towards passive rather than aggressive then I disagree with it too.

what all these examples have in common is that you are reacting (to both perceived problems and successes); basically he has control. Your subconscious will recognize it and when he says 'roll over' you will.

his situation will of course influence any marginal calls you might have but they should never make your decisions for you.

if somebody raises the 'but what about when you have to sink something for a known half ie he's in the hole or stone dead?' then I would simply point out that if you can sink it you should be trying to sink it anyway - for a win!!!

Of course you are always trying to play your best shot at every attempt. I was thinking more that a little course management can go a long way in your favour. You can't cover every possibility in a post, but say your partner has knocked it in the trees for three, with no shot to the green, and you are down the side for two with a flop shot over a bunker and only two yards either side of the pin to land or stop, then a little knock sideways to the front of the green maybe a better option. I don't think that's a negative action, nor that he has control. However, if he knocks it stone dead for three instead, he does have control and I have to attempt the flop shot to get it close for my third.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's not about not thinking I can beat people without it. It's about testing the players ability to cope with pressure.

Stepping ahead of your competitor sets the pace and displays confidence and self assurance.

And by using hybrid and 3 wood all day you give up 60-70 yards on me which will mean more missed greens and long putts. If you played like that, I'd own you!

From reading this you must be a really good golfer.