Matchplay - Get 12 or Give 9

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What do you do differently in match-play vs stroke play, esp if you’re going first in teeing off, and in situations where your hitting your approach first, and in hitting the first putt?

Is the idea to be consistent - play to your handicap and play ‘steady golf’, hit lag putts etc….or is it to ‘go for it’? Go for pins, rather than just the green, for putts to sink rather not not three-putt?

I appreciate the psychology of matchplay, but if you’re hitting the above described shots first, what’s the best tactics, and how does it differ from stroke play?
I am good at playing each hole as a match in it's own right, and good at managing my p!ay when I get a shot. Also not fazed by the skill of the better player.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Doesn't matter - even thinking about it in these terms has you on the back foot.

1. You are in it to win it so will have to beat both anyway
2. To win it you need to focus on your performance, not get distracted by the endless possibilities of theirs.
They play their match tomorrow. I'm not bothered at all which of the two I end up playing, but was interested in the views of others on whether preference is to receive a load or give a load. You are bang on though - I've won plenty of singles KO comps in the past by doing as you say - I focus on my own game.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wouldn't be fussed against either in summer, though I'd imagine, if it's anything like my club giving shots away in winter with less rough, slower soft greens a better players advantage would be less imo, so would go for the low guy

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They played first thing today and I see the 20 handicapper beat the +1 guy. The high guy is in my roll up and we are good golfing mates, so I'll be asking how it went. Tbh i probably have better chance of progressing against him - even though I'll be giving him 9.