Matchplay - Get 12 or Give 9

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quarter Final of Winter Singles K/O sees my either playing our Club Champion and getting 12 shots; or a lad off 20 so giving 9.

We are playing off our forward tees for which CR is 70, c.f. CR of 72 off backs due to quite significant shortening on some holes (though not enough for the par of any hole to change).

If you had a choice (which of course I don't) who would you rather play? I think I'd rather play the 20 handicapper and give the shots - though it'll be quite a challenge and an interesting one at that were I to find myself playing the Club Champ and getting 12 shots off him - though I know that three, possibly four, of our shorter par 4s are in his range off the forward tees, as most probably in two are two of our par 5s.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends on whether your current form indicates you are likely to play under your own handicap or not.
From a 'likelihood of winning' probably the giving 9 would normally be my choice, but if he's got to the Final, then he's probably playing better than his handicap - an improver, as I have been twice. So I'd opt for the 'getting 12' and not consider his strengths, but my own!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on whether your current form indicates you are likely to play under your own handicap or not.
From a 'likelihood of winning' probably the giving 9 would normally be my choice, but if he's got to the Final, then he's probably playing better than his handicap - an improver, as I have been twice. So I'd opt for the 'getting 12' and not consider his strengths, but my own!
I am historically a good matchplay player - and currently playing pretty good golf - though mostly only a shot or two better than handicap - and when it goes wrong it's down to a few big blow ups rather than me frittering them away hole by hole. The 20 handicapper can blow as cold as he can blow hot...typical 21 handicapper. btw - it's olny the QF, so far...:)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I am historically a good matchplay player - and currently playing pretty good golf - though mostly only a shot or two better than handicap - and when it goes wrong it's down to a few big blow ups rather than me frittering them away hole by hole. The 20 handicapper can blow as cold as he can blow hot...typical 21 handicapper. btw - it's olny the QF, so far...:)
Doh! Only saw the word 'Final'! How many rounds has he got through already?

IanMcC

Visit site
Definitely the scratch guy off forward tees. He will be forced to go for the short par fours in one. He will be wayward at some, and you will win holes where you normally wouldn't. The high handicapper is obviously a dangerous improver.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Giving shots away will add a frustration to the match - that boot is on the other foot if you are receiving the shots. Personally, I'd take it to the better golfer and relish the challenge - a little bit of gamesmanship along the way might just spice things up as well, the beauty of matchplay. ;-)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely the scratch guy off forward tees. He will be forced to go for the short par fours in one. He will be wayward at some, and you will win holes where you normally wouldn't. The high handicapper is obviously a dangerous improver.
Of the two par 5s he will be able to reach in two and the three or four par 4s he could drive I only get a shot on one of the par 4s and one of the par 5s.

I would not be fazed playing the +1 club champ as i have played and beaten tons of low guys in the past, sometimes off scratch. Just can't recall ever before having such a contrast in possible opponent.

The 20 handicapper gets 21shots and he's trying to get to grips with that and that he gets 2 shots on three holes:ROFLMAO:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
From the forward tees, the club champion.

The shorter course, bumpier winter greens and softer ground will negate some of the champion's skills whereas the same short course will help the longer handicap reach greens he usually couldn't and to stop the ball where he usually wouldn't.

In the summer, definitively the 20 handicapper.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you beat the club champ your a bandit. If you beat someone giving them 9 shots your a bigger bandit. ? ? that said playing off 12 I would expect you to hit most GIR. So I think either players that are playing you may well be thinking that’s a toughie in the next round.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My biggest match play satisfaction has come from 'beating' the guys lower than me

Even though they are far superior players the handicap system has always made for close games most of which I lose but occasionally I win, and the year I won the matchplay 'title' I beat an ex pga Pro in the semi-final (really nice bloke) and I'll take that to the grave

Gimme the low guy every time, its what memories are made of

evemccc

Visit site
I am historically a good matchplay player -

What do you do differently in match-play vs stroke play, esp if you’re going first in teeing off, and in situations where your hitting your approach first, and in hitting the first putt?

Is the idea to be consistent - play to your handicap and play ‘steady golf’, hit lag putts etc….or is it to ‘go for it’? Go for pins, rather than just the green, for putts to sink rather not not three-putt?

I appreciate the psychology of matchplay, but if you’re hitting the above described shots first, what’s the best tactics, and how does it differ from stroke play?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't matter - even thinking about it in these terms has you on the back foot.

1. You are in it to win it so will have to beat both anyway
2. To win it you need to focus on your performance, not get distracted by the endless possibilities of theirs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From the forward tees, the club champion.

The shorter course, bumpier winter greens and softer ground will negate some of the champion's skills whereas the same short course will help the longer handicap reach greens he usually couldn't and to stop the ball where he usually wouldn't.

In the summer, definitively the 20 handicapper.
At the moment we are on the greens and haven't been on temps at all so far this winter.