Matchplay Etiquette?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
had a guy who turned up at the first tee one day and asked to join me and my mate. He then spent the next 3 and half hours telling joke after joke after joke. it was like a monologue. amusing for the first 5 minutes, but I felt like strangling him as the round when on!
I know the type 😅

I was paired with a guy once (never seen him before) who within the first few holes was relentlessly telling me everything I was doing was wrong (posture/stance/plane/putting stroke/chipping technique etc) 😩😩

Best of it it I was off about 10 at the time (and playing well!) whilst he was off mid teens! 😂😂

Avoided him like the plague ever since!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There’s the usual golf etiquette but other than that just what’s different?

Compliment the good shots, but I keep my mouth shut on the bad shots. Why should I make an effort to encourage him to play better? Do I really want him to beat me? It’s up to him to sort himself out if he’s playing badly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
had a guy who turned up at the first tee one day and asked to join me and my mate. He then spent the next 3 and half hours telling joke after joke after joke. it was like a monologue. amusing for the first 5 minutes, but I felt like strangling him as the round when on!

We have a fella at our place who does this - a continual stream of jokes and 'funny' comments that only he finds funny as he laughs his head off at himself.

Partnered with him in a medal last year at a time I was really struggling - I was rather dreading it but decided that acceptance was the best thing. And so to the first green - a <18" tiddler for a 6 (already a shot gone :( ) and I miss it - for a 7 - to hear a laughing voice tell me "haha - you don't want to be doing that very often today"

I could have - I really could have. But I didn't.

D

Deleted member 15344

Concede nothing ?! Really - that’s nonsense - plenty of concessions in Matchplay - it’s part of the format and helps keep the pace nicely

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
One of my opponents in the pro shop trying to be clever said he hoped I wouldn't chat with him all the way round. My reply was "not much chance of that the way you hit the ball, I'm not spending my afternoon getting stung to death in the nettles"

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’ve my first matchplay tomorrow. Never played the format before. Have read through all the above. Anything else people would add?

With the new rules, do you help someone find their ball? Strictly tell them when the 3 minutes is up?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’ve my first matchplay tomorrow. Never played the format before. Have read through all the above. Anything else people would add?

With the new rules, do you help someone find their ball? Strictly tell them when the 3 minutes is up?
just play it like you would if you were playing a match against a mate, no games no tactics.
play your to your strengths and don't worry what they hit.... oh and of course help them look for balls, after all you may need them to help you look for yours at some point;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
just play it like you would if you were playing a match against a mate, no games no tactics.
play your to your strengths and don't worry what they hit.... oh and of course help them look for balls, after all you may need them to help you look for yours at some point;)

exactly, it's a club comp not the Ryder Cup. Just enjoy it and don't worry too much

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

I'll always help look, if it gets to 3 mins and they havnt stopped I'll say time is up. I don't have a stop watch on it.. but will note the start time and take it from there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with this. Not helping them look etc just makes you look like an A-hole I'd imagine. We play golf to enjoy it after all, no matter the format. With gimmes as well I'd tend to just give them the same as I would my mates - except maybe down the back nine when they become a bit more crucial, but I'm sure your opponent would be expecting to have to make a few putts in that scenario.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, never... I guess I just don't take it as seriously as others.

All valid points you make, but like I said above... I enjoy the social part of the game, whether thats in a k/o, roll up or game with mates. The thought of 4 hours in silence scares me haha
Turn it round what if someone likes silence and he’s got to play you ?
Constant chat is not for everyone.
Not a criticism just a thought!

I like a good chat but you need to know when to be quiet.
You will adjust to your op .
Ask if he likes flag in or out on greens
Say good shot when he hits a good one.
Just be yourself.