Matching the right putter to your stroke

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After reading the write-ups from the guys on Play Your Best, I was particularly interested in how they were fitted for putters according to their stroke style and face path.

Ping were using their iphone app and cradle, but I wondered if there is a way of doing this by eye, or using alignment aids or similar?

I've only bought putters by eye and based on feel, but am now curious if my Ghost mallet suits my stroke?

If anyone who has had other putter fittings has light to shed on this, I'd be really grateful.

Or, if I got some close up video of my stroke from ground level, would that be enough for an expert to see it by eye?

Cheers in advance for any thoughts.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers Gareth,

You review is a really good starting point. It's the stuff on head type vs swingpath that particularly interests me. I'm happy that I have a good length and lie as have always been 34" when getting new ones, but it's the toe weighting etc that I'm not sure about. With your fitting, did he just look at your stroke and tell you what sort of path and face angle you had?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers Gareth,

You review is a really good starting point. It's the stuff on head type vs swingpath that particularly interests me. I'm happy that I have a good length and lie as have always been 34" when getting new ones, but it's the toe weighting etc that I'm not sure about. With your fitting, did he just look at your stroke and tell you what sort of path and face angle you had?

I always assumed I was needed a 35", full shaft offset putter, and putted pretty well at that length. Went to my fitting, and, suggested a 33" with a 3/4 offset putter :mad:

It helped that I was fitted by a pro who for my stroke (which is a very slight arc) after watching said that there was a slight "wobble" in the head at take away suggested a mid mallet rather then the full mallet head type just to add a touch more stability than I could get from a blade.

Like I said in the review I was expecting a 35" Mallet and come away with something completely different.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Monty im of similar thought as to type of putter v's stroke, I've recently change to a mallet from a blade and instantly felt better (also changed grip to cross handed which may have an impact)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was there a reason for the change of putter Valetino?

To try something different as ive always been a streaky putter and sometimes changing the wand adds confidence, I really should do 2 things though, practice more and look at a putter to fit my stroke.

Quite like my current putter Oddeyssy white hot xg #7, feels good for now.