Match play or strokeplay ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Almost a follow on from the knockout topic but what's your choice ??

Regardless or whether it's a competition or not, what do you prefer ??

It's nothing to do with getting or giving strokes in match play but I've always preferred to play against the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never played match play. Only been a club member a year tbf, but I didn't enter any in my first year. I might give it a go, but on the flipside of what a lot of the low hcappers moan about, I would probably feel quite sheepish if I beat someone who was clearly a much better golfer but giving me 17-odd shots. I think I'm always going to prefer medals/Stablefords as it's more about your own game on the day.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I love the cut and thrust of Matchplay but have to say that Strokeplay (Medal rather than S'ford) is the ultimate challenge.

an 8 in a Match is no biggie (have even halved holes with such a score!!) but in a Medal format....very difficult to play close to handicap once I toss off a treble bogey.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played 3 stroke play events last year, and around 40 club matches in various guises from vets league to men's friendlies....think that answers the question for me.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Matchplay.

You can take a 7 in the opening hole and it’s quickly forgotten ( well almost ) as you stand on the 2nd tee . A couple of bad holes on the opening stretch in strokeplay and it’s easy to lose motivation for the rest of the round .

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Matchplay.

You can take a 7 in the opening hole and it’s quickly forgotten ( well almost ) as you stand on the 2nd tee . A couple of bad holes on the opening stretch in strokeplay and it’s easy to lose motivation for the rest of the round .

I see it differently, I see it as a challenge, granted there is nowt worse than getting off to a horrible start but I think it's a test of charector

ab1v

Medal Winner
Visit site
Gotta love a bit of Matchplay. Think that playing snooker and darts for years, I prefer the 1 on 1 (or pairs) game. Beat the player in front of you, make a chip for a half, sink a putt for a win, great feeling

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Love a bit of matchplay, even better ball, but as I play in roll ups at the weekend its strokeplay (stableford). I will enter the odd national knockout like the Titileist and the club knockout. Just happy to play. Not fussed on the format

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vs someone it’s always matchplay.

I see strokeplay as just me vs the course as I have no impact on my opponent.

In matchplay the better golfer can lose a game mentally even if they score well.