Match play or strokeplay ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't play much Matchplay any more.
Not since I was giving a shot at a par 3 to a genuine 28 handicapper.
He had the honour and launches an iron to the green some 160 yards away and leaves it stone dead, 6 inches from the hole.
So it was a hole in one for a half then.....
That's my problem with Matchplay - sometimes you can't win, no matter what you do - that and the fact that it doesn't matter how well or badly you play as long as you play better than the other guy.
Whereas in Strokeplay you can have the odd poor hole but you have time to make it up. And, normally, you have to play reasonably well to win.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t mind playing anything tbh

Enjoy 4bbb matchplay and also singles - not too bothered about giving shots - had to give 23/24 a few times and just see it as a challenge

Enjoy Scratch Matches with other clubs

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's funny that the SFG's like strokeplay over matchplay yet at the highest level of amateur golf in this country it's most usually matchplay tournaments over strokeplay, yet turn pro and it's stroke over match...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't play much Matchplay any more.
Not since I was giving a shot at a par 3 to a genuine 28 handicapper.
He had the honour and launches an iron to the green some 160 yards away and leaves it stone dead, 6 inches from the hole.
So it was a hole in one for a half then.....
That's my problem with Matchplay - sometimes you can't win, no matter what you do - that and the fact that it doesn't matter how well or badly you play as long as you play better than the other guy.
Whereas in Strokeplay you can have the odd poor hole but you have time to make it up. And, normally, you have to play reasonably well to win.

Played a guy off 27 and I was giving a load of shots and he went par at the par three first (net birdie), par (net birdie) birdie (net eagle) par and so was four down after four and I was only one over gross (having bogied our fourth). I know anyone can have a career day but that was soul destroying especially with the "I don't normally play this well" line. Was all over by the 14th. Never had a chance on the day and didn't play too badly but all you can do is smile and shake hands. I stand by that even if I'm playing someone with a handicap in the 30's and upwards. Turn up, do your best and see what happens

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stroke play for me (stableford for social play and better ball stableford for 4 ball)

I do not mind match play if the opponents handicap is 'genuine' or thereabouts. I have played far to many opponents who "do not play like this normally".

The other thing I dislike about match play is the method of giving strokes, ie the fact that the strokes start at SI 1 if they started at the point where the difference in handicaps started ( ie 10 v 18 strokes start at SI 11) I think it would be much better and would remove the need to set SIs for match play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's funny that the SFG's like strokeplay over matchplay yet at the highest level of amateur golf in this country it's most usually matchplay tournaments over strokeplay, yet turn pro and it's stroke over match...

so two barley single figures make it that all single fig prefer strokeplay then?:rofl::rofl:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stroke play for me (stableford for social play and better ball stableford for 4 ball)

I do not mind match play if the opponents handicap is 'genuine' or thereabouts. I have played far to many opponents who "do not play like this normally".

The other thing I dislike about match play is the method of giving strokes, ie the fact that the strokes start at SI 1 if they started at the point where the difference in handicaps started ( ie 10 v 18 strokes start at SI 11) I think it would be much better and would remove the need to set SIs for match play.

I always thought it should be done that way as well. I mean, before I even knew how they actually do it, I mistakenly assumed it would be that way. It does seem unfair that in any match play the lower handicapper is always losing a shot on the supposed 'hardest' hole(s).

D

Deleted Member 1156

No it's mainly strokeplay apart from team stuff. Even the English and British amateurs are strokeplay to qualify for the matchplay stages.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
No it's mainly strokeplay apart from team stuff. Even the English and British amateurs are strokeplay to qualify for the matchplay stages.

Aye, but the main competitions are matchplay, that was my point, the qualifiers is just to get rid of the choppers :whistle:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like both tbh.

Played 4BBB team matches the last few years and enjoyed that, played scratch team this year for the first time which is singles (no shots obviously) and enjoyed the challenge of playing against lower handicaps.

Also enjoy medal though and pleased 99% of our weekend comps are medal rather than stableford.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No set favourite. Matchplay more fun; Stroke play more of a challenge. And what I feel about either depends upon how I am playing when playing either. I'm thinking that my favourite format (as that's what we're talking) is Scratch Foursomes matchplay. Very tough - but very rewarding togetherness with the right partner - even better when you win :)