Match play or strokeplay ?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking that my favourite format (as that's what we're talking) is Scratch Foursomes matchplay. Very tough - but very rewarding togetherness with the right partner - even better when you win :)

We have that format as the morning game in County Seniors league matches, very satisfying when you win, undefeated in them last year :)

G

guest100718

i like most formats just matchplay 4balls can be a real pain to organise

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love the challenge of trying to beat my score in stroke play, but there’s something special about match play that gets my vote on this one.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could never get the hang of matchplay when I started playing golf, low light being a 9 & 7 thrashing in a winter league match for the club. Gave up all matchplay after that game for about 5 years. Started to get a bit of confidence over the last few years and learnt not to let my head go down if I lose a few early holes so I now enjoy the head to head challenges. To answer the question though, I still prefer strokeplay as there is a chance to reduce the handicap.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Enjoy match play. Over winter or if a social game during the summer its either match play if 2, catch the leader if 3 and 4BBB if 4 of us.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
I get what some are saying regarding matchplay format . I’ve been in the position where you are giving another player a ridiculous amount of shots . Have to admit that can be a slog . If he plays 3 or 4 holes well and you’re not on the ball you’re struggling . I tend to play more against other family members . We’re re all of similar standard to it’s pretty much just a straight shoot out . The added bonus of a side bet to keep things interesting always helps .

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Matchplay for me too, just can't beat the competitive nature of the 1 one 1 in my opinion. How you can beat someone playing better than you because they can't hold their game together when being metally tested.

I remember when I was junior playing a club match at home, I was have an absolute mare and my opponent was playing some very tidy golf, after 5 holes I 3-4 down. The 6th was a 500 yrd par 5, but got very little roll for some reason so played very long. My opponent drove off about 220 yards, I (much bigger in size) hit 300 yards, ball still rising as it passed his. The look on his face was brilliant, even after my awful start I knew I was back in the game.

Sure enough he thought he had to hit the ball further so really wound up and hit the ball OOB, conceding the hole to me, I ended up winning 4&3.

I suppose that's why I love matchplay, it's not just the match but there are numerous little battles going on at the same time during the match itself

D

Deleted member 21258

Strokeplay completely, I consider golf as a game against oneself.

I enjoy matchplay and sometimes the game is taken out of your hands by the other player(whether on individual holes or the whole round)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Aye, but the main competitions are matchplay, that was my point, the qualifiers is just to get rid of the choppers :whistle:

Oh right, I didn't realise that the 2 rounds of strokeplay to qualify wasn't part of the main competition ;)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love matchplay but my game is more suited to medal play. I can easily knockout 14 or 15 pars in a round which is no good in scratch matchplay if opponent is getting birdies and pars. Most pars I’ve had in one round is 17 with a double on the other hole.