Masters 2020

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basically this. I don’t know or want to comment on his senility or otherwise, but if they can’t put up someone better you’ve got to think it’s because they’re not even trying.
In work terms you would ask what is their succession plan? The fact that they keep using him suggests they don't have one.

I think it indicates where the BBC puts golf in terms of importance, we probably knew that already though.

D

Deleted member 15344

Basically this. I don’t know or want to comment on his senility or otherwise, but if they can’t put up someone better you’ve got to think it’s because they’re not even trying.

BBC don’t have golf a regular sport so they aren’t going to employ someone to take over from him , it’s just not viable for them

As much as Peter Allis is old and at times does rattle on a bit - there are probably just as many saying the same things about the likes of Harmon etc - but Allis is like a godfather of golf , for many they grew up listening to him , he is out of touch but he prob still has more knowledge and expirence about the game than anyone else - and there are many that still like him.

If BBC had regular golf then I suspect there would be someone to replace him

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Not sure I agree with that. Just watched a little of the Day 4 Highlights and the lead presenters were Eilidh Barbour and Ken Brown.
Peter Alliss was introduced in a friendly and respectful way for his knowledge and unmistakable voice, many still do like him even though many don't.

He was commentating from home and I don't know if this was due to Covid or his health, maybe both, the little I saw he sounded frailer but still sharp.

Maybe his health is a lot worse than we know and this was a nod of recognition by the BBC for his services past, maybe not? But I don't think it's fair to say that they're not even trying.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With Eilidh Barbour and Ken Brown they have a ready made presenter and lead commentator. It's been so good listening to Brown in the box on some recent Sky coverage and so he'd be a perfect replacement from Alliss and Brown has already decades of experience of working with him. Add in someone like Andrew Cotter and you have the basis of a team. The BBC could then take a punt on someone, perhaps an ex player to add if necessary.

Crumplezone

Visit site
Allis is no worse than any other golf commentator. Plenty are really boring. I noticed the pitch of his voice has changed though. As has been suggested, the BBC don't seem to attach much importance to golf. They could have shown the highlights much earlier in the evening. I had to wait until the following day to watch them and of course, found out who won beforehand.