Masters 2020

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think it's any different to other PGA events as to coverage.
In other weeks you get featured groups and then later the full coverage.

Probably easier just to google it, but essentially they deliberalty limit the coverage to try and demonstrate how exclusive they are. I think it was only about 7 or 8 years ago they finally started showing 18 hole coverageof the leaders on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't think it's any different to other PGA events as to coverage.
In other weeks you get featured groups and then later the full coverage.

But it’s not supposed to be another PGA event - it’s supposed to be a Major , The Open you can watch the first tee shot right through to the last putt , same with the US Open and the US PGA , live coverage on all the other majors starts when they tee off every day. For the Masters there will be multiple players were their round is finished before they even allow live Broadcasts - its ridiculous and adds nothing to the event

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seem to remember reading (can't remember where, one of many books) that one motivator for Bobby Jones was to setup Augusta in such a way as to counterbalance the emergence of long driving in his time. Jones was a comparatively long hitter among his contemporaries, he and others wanted to challenge approach play but especially putting on fast greens where they saw the crux of the game. MacKenzie's course design was to reward accuracy with fairway placement, leaving an approach to greens that would otherwise slope severely away from the central lines.

Might be wrong but my point is that it's interesting that here we are, nearly a hundred years later, and a similar (possibly the same) debate still rages on. BDC isn't the best short-game player or putter out there and I'm quite interested in seeing whether the course's test and reward still stands.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seem to remember reading (can't remember where, one of many books) that one motivator for Bobby Jones was to setup Augusta in such a way as to counterbalance the emergence of long driving in his time. Jones was a comparatively long hitter among his contemporaries, he and others wanted to challenge approach play but especially putting on fast greens where they saw the crux of the game. MacKenzie's course design was to reward accuracy with fairway placement, leaving an approach to greens that would otherwise slope severely away from the central lines.

Might be wrong but my point is that it's interesting that here we are, nearly a hundred years later, and a similar (possibly the same) debate still rages on. BDC isn't the best short-game player or putter out there and I'm quite interested in seeing whether the course's test and reward still stands.
He is actually an excellent putter I thought. Short game around the green, no, you're probably right.

While they designed it for the approach position to be key, I'm sure they never envisioned someone hitting the ball 400 yards when they did so, which may well negate the whole thing. They would have been picturing long irons into greens where BDC will be hitting wedges.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I agree with that, I guess the counter would be that if we accept he’s a good club longer than others as suggested above and then further down a fairway. How does his pw proximity compare to others 7/8 irons.

gary996

Visit site
The coverage isn’t great but it’s getting better and this year should be better still. As well as featured groups (6 players) there are streams of amen corner, 15 & 16 and I think 4-6 or something. I think it’s TSN who previously broadcast them all as one lot of coverage so it was fairly seamless. Hopefully sky does that this year?
Also, this year early coverage is Bryson and Tiger, ie the two talking points so that’s perfect. Fridays early morning featured coverage is a bit meh, mind.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Thursday showcase is perfect with Tiger and Bryson, almost couldn't be better unless Rory could join them

Here's a pretty comprehensive round-up of your viewing options...

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/the-masters-live-stream-211010
Strange but I can’t think of anything worse and hope they show others , but it’s understandable when they are the two main draws - hopefully it allows some to sneak in under the radar whilst the whole golf world concentrates on those two

4LEX

Visit site
Bryson's putting stats at Augusta are dire. No doubt he'll take it apart tee to green but most big hitters can do the same.

Great to see a different level of buzz around a Major though. Most in recent years are almost routine theres so many of them. This one feels different with the Bryson aspect, Rory for the Grand Slam, November Masters....literally can't wait to get set up infront of the TV later!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here we go, Amen Corner feed just kicked off and Sandy Lyle just poked one down the 11th. Cracking swing on this left-handed amateur, Lin, but he's stuffed it so far in to the trees he'll be going back home by lunchtime.

And here we go, part two, the Hooter's just gone off to suspend play due to weather.

Bah! :(