Masters 2020

birdyhunter

Visit site
It's so difficult with the Bryson factor... on the one hand Sky showed him hitting a pitching wedge 175 yards in the US Open rough, 5 yards off the fairway, to 4 feet.. Augusta has no rough...

On the other hand, the best he's done so far at Augusta is 21st place as an amateur in 2016.. maybe the course doesn't suit him...?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Now that the groupings for the first two rounds have been released, who do you think has the better draw, Tiger, Rham and BDC with the early/late, or Rory & DJ with the late/early?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
When the November date was first announced I thought it would be interesting. I wonder if many (probably me included) look fondly on the tournament partly because it's typically 8 months after the last biggie, and because it signifies the time when the UK is typically emerging into spring - & it looks like summer.
Now with Englandshire in sort-of lockdown it's a big deal.
I'll confess to being intrigued to see how Bryson does. As is his way he seems to shun the usual ideas such as taking pressure of himself/trying to keep a low profile.

4LEX

Visit site
The best tournament by far, no rotation of courses like other majors. This is the one!

Really think Rory has an amazing shout. Very good record at Augusta without winning and Bryson has taken all the spotlight and pressure off him.

Hatton my outside tip.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
When the November date was first announced I thought it would be interesting. I wonder if many (probably me included) look fondly on the tournament partly because it's typically 8 months after the last biggie, and because it signifies the time when the UK is typically emerging into spring - & it looks like summer.
Now with Englandshire in sort-of lockdown it's a big deal.
I'll confess to being intrigued to see how Bryson does. As is his way he seems to shun the usual ideas such as taking pressure of himself/trying to keep a low profile.
I think you're right - it's normal date really helps its popularity, particularly in the UK.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking forward to whiling away the hours on this. Lots of interesting storylines to follow, hope that the weather (thunderstorms about) doesn't muck it up too much.
Tiny wagers on Day, Finau and Perez.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can we get real with Rahm's shot on 16 yesterday??
Yes it's great entertainment, but it's not a hole in one.
They tee off, walk to the water and drop one down to mess around.
Didn't Spieth hole one last year?
Yeah I wouldn't call it a hole in one. They're definitely not on the tee, they just drop it a yard short of the water by the looks of it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I like BDC - anything different is fun.

Why the overwhelming hype though? Great player, hits the ball miles, but why is he that different to Rory, Brooks, DJ, etc. Is the extra 10-15 yards in front of those lot going to make much difference? The fact that he is still messing about with different drivers on the range just a day or two before the first round seems a bit strange to me...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like BDC - anything different is fun.

Why the overwhelming hype though? Great player, hits the ball miles, but why is he that different to Rory, Brooks, DJ, etc. Is the extra 10-15 yards in front of those lot going to make much difference? The fact that he is still messing about with different drivers on the range just a day or two before the first round seems a bit strange to me...
I think it will make a difference.
On some holes, the extra yardage will allow him to take lines that no-one else will, potentially leaving a much shorter shot in.
More generally, over 72 holes, constantly being 10-15 yards nearer eventually adds up. It's just maths (or 'strokes gained').
Obviously, theres a myriad of other variables which come into play, but distance loads the dice, and a lot of distance loads it more.