Masters 2020

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s called rub of the green - every golfer will have some level of fortune good or bad

They are not getting plugged balls in the fairway , so what if a bit of mud gets on the ball , it’s going to happen , just get on with it and deal with it

They are never going to have pick and place in a major much less so at Augusta

It’s already happened in a major
PGA 2016 4th round

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Preferred lies are to protect the course, not to prevent mud balls. On most courses during the winter in the UK it's sometimes best not to pick and place as there's even more cack around
Preffered lies don’t really protect the course imo all they do is move the divot we take 6” from the original spot.
But you can clean your ball.
Is there anyone here that genuinely would not clean mud off the ball if they could.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert and I'm not a Pro but I've played on parkland courses in winter for nigh on 30 years and had plenty of mudballs down the years.?
I don't buy it that you can miss a green from 100 odd yards because of mud on the ball...it has an effect but not that much.
When you make contact with the ball, at somewhere between 70 and 100 mph, any large chunk of mud is going to be blasted off the cover in milliseconds.
There will be little or no mud on the ball during the flight..
Perfectly willing to be proved wrong but, until then, a mudball, in my opinion, doesn't divert a ball by 20 yards over 100....
They just played a crap shot.
Don’t forget at the temperature there some of the mud has dried on the ball by the time they play their second shot.
This mud fills the dimples on the ball and affects the aerodynamic flight.
It’s not the big clumps that are the problem.
It’s the speed and distance they hit it ,the longer the balls in the air the more the dimple pattern affects the flight and spin.
Brian Cox told me that.;);)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swing speed was quoted. And show me a wedge shot or chip with that kind of ball speed.
At very low speed the aero isn’t affected, the roll will be pants on a chip and run ... the impacts though are minimal. Missing the green at 150 yards ... is just poor striking

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes of course they are prima donnas ,a lot of them anyway.
But do you want to see great golf shots or low hooks into the trees.?
I would rather see them have the ball on a string than a lap of the gods approach.
Pick and place rewards the ones who hit the fairways not lash it 400yds anywhere.

How many have you seen “low hook” into the trees ?

I haven’t seen one shot that’s been hugely effected by a mud ball - they are screaming mud ball when they miss the green a yard or they are 60ft from the pin as opposed to 10ft. Do you think they should be able to pick and place from a divot as well ?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
DJs wedge shots are still going 100 mph ball speed...and anyone missing a green while chipping can't blame a mudball
So we've gone from make believe swing and ball speeds to fairy tales of greens being missed on chips . Do you think a mud ball reacts as well and predictably as clean ball on a chip ?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many times has the conversation on here been about seeing pros tested like us mortal players? Here we are with exactly that situation, they’re playing with no crowds to aim for, no “free” relief playing into a gallery, no ampitheatres to play long into greens and bounce off with miraculous resulting lies, no TV towers provided line-of-sight relief, no ball searching assistance from hundreds of on-lookers, and a wet course like us golfing mortals have to put up with for 6+ months of the year.

We may never see a major played like this again and it’s great to see them playing golf with the same conditions way generally do. Preferred lies make the game easier, so it’s great to see the difficulty of pros playing their best under the course conditions as they find them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many have you seen “low hook” into the trees ?

I haven’t seen one shot that’s been hugely effected by a mud ball - they are screaming mud ball when they miss the green a yard or they are 60ft from the pin as opposed to 10ft. Do you think they should be able to pick and place from a divot as well ?
Yes I do ,but I have always thought that since I snapped a iron shaft playing out of one in CCs.
It’s dangerous and unnecessary.
That’s another thread though!

U

User62651

Is it just me or is a November Masters with no spectators not an enticing watch?
I've tuned in a couple of times but hasn't lasted long before switching channels, just nothing like how The Masters should be.
Assume they'll try and play it at normal time next April so only 5 months for the new champion to milk it.

Thinking with the benefit of hindsight and for the prestige of the title, The Open organisers had the right idea and cancelled rather than postponed for 2020. Good choice.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a bit of everything and you certainly woudnt want any mud between club and ball during contact.
You don’t want water between the face ... but that’s the game, as played by all of us. American courses are beautifully manicured they are easy to hit balls from. The odd bit of mud is a challenge they can deal with, like we do in summer after a heavy downpour. But bad shots are bad shots, they are under clubbed blocked or pulled or dare I say mis-struck because someone is swinging out their boots.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it just me or is a November Masters with no spectators not an enticing watch?
I've tuned in a couple of times but hasn't lasted long before switching channels, just nothing like how The Masters should be.

Virtually all sports are the same though, you don't realise how big a difference the crowd makes to the atmosphere until they're gone. Could you imagine a Ryder Cup with no fans attending, would be so flat in comparison. Football, Darts, Snooker etc all suffering in the same way.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assume they'll try and play it at normal time next April so only 5 months for the new champion to milk it.

Thinking with the benefit of hindsight and for the prestige of the title, The Open organisers had the right idea and cancelled rather than postponed for 2020. Good choice.
I have lost interest, the course has always been a putting competition but this year they are receptive and not outstandingly quick. The weather hasn’t really done much, a strong breeze would be good, knock a few the high drives and plopping iron shots over would make it exciting.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virtually all sports are the same though, you don't realise how big a difference the crowd makes to the atmosphere until they're gone. Could you imagine a Ryder Cup with no fans attending, would be so flat in comparison. Football, Darts, Snooker etc all suffering in the same way.
I like no fans.. they don’t do anything but add noise and trample down areas that could be really penal

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This may be an unpopular take but I'm actually enjoying it without the fans. I suspect the novelty would wear off it was like this every year but, as a one-off, I think it's been great.
I agree. No trampled down rough, yes Augusta I called it rough ?, fewer people to spot wayward shots, no stupid shouts. It's worked better than I thought and better than empty football and rugby stadiums.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like no fans.. they don’t do anything but add noise and trample down areas that could be really penal

I agree golf fans can affect players scores unlike other sports, the amount of balls heading well offline that ricochet back into play off the crowd or grandstands, or get a perfect lie because the area of "rough" has been flattened away to nothing, it's a truer test without them. Very unlikely DeChambeau would have lost his ball if there had been a crowd attending. But there's just very little buzz or excitement generated when there's no galleries cheering and clapping, especially if things are tight and the pressure is on.