Masters 2020

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't. It's not exactly a goat track is it???
They are pampered enough as it is.
Sure they are playing for big bucks and major honours. But golf is an outdoor sport. Nobody said it was meant to be easy.
If I saw there was a bit of mud on my ball, the last thing I'd be trying to do is carry it 220 yards over water to a spot on the green 5 yards wide.
Mind you, I wouldn't attempt that if there were wings on my ball....
That’s an opinion your entitled to.
But they are playing for a major title not a monthly medal.
Mud affects the flight but shouldn’t determine who wins.
One mud ball could cost DJ the title if it goes OOB or in the trees.
The best golfer should win not the luckiest.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes, I think that’s the key point- mud balls are just luck

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s called rub of the green - every golfer will have some level of fortune good or bad

They are not getting plugged balls in the fairway , so what if a bit of mud gets on the ball , it’s going to happen , just get on with it and deal with it

They are never going to have pick and place in a major much less so at Augusta

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I think that’s the key point- mud balls are just luck
Yes they are .
But for us it’s just an annoyance.
But if you hit the ball 347yds then miss the green from 100yds because of the mud.
That’s not right imo.
I have never seen so many rank bad shots than at this masters and almost everyone ( except Rahms top ) all you hear is “mud ball.”
It makes it interesting if nothing else ,seeing places we havnt seen before.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes they are .
But for us it’s just an annoyance.
But if you hit the ball 347yds then miss the green from 100yds because of the mud.
That’s not right imo.
I have never seen so many rank bad shots than at this masters and almost everyone ( except Rahms top ) all you hear is “mud ball.”
It makes it interesting if nothing else ,seeing places we havnt seen before.

Have you considered they are blaming mud on the ball for every bad shot ? Every time someone has a bad shot from the fairway they shout “mud ball”

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s called rub of the green - every golfer will have some level of fortune good or bad

They are not getting plugged balls in the fairway , so what if a bit of mud gets on the ball , it’s going to happen , just get on with it and deal with it

They are never going to have pick and place in a major much less so at Augusta
I can just imagine the comments if all clubs here said “ no preffered lies this year ,it’s only a bit of mud just get on with it”
Maybe they should try it.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'll repeat. It's not exactly a goat track is it???
The same mud ball could cost anyone in the chasing pack a couple of shots.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you considered they are blaming mud on the ball for every bad shot ? Every time someone has a bad shot from the fairway they shout “mud ball”
Yes of course they are prima donnas ,a lot of them anyway.
But do you want to see great golf shots or low hooks into the trees.?
I would rather see them have the ball on a string than a lap of the gods approach.
Pick and place rewards the ones who hit the fairways not lash it 400yds anywhere.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
DJ’s always had very strong wedge play, he’s always been able to pepper pins like a dartboard but his weakness was always the putting collapse. He seems to be in much better putting form now than in the past. For entertainment value we can hope the harder Sunday pins reign him in a bit but, really, out of the current leaders I’d be happy for him to romp home and take it. He’s just a big dumb lovely guy who should have won more than he has already.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm no expert and I'm not a Pro but I've played on parkland courses in winter for nigh on 30 years and had plenty of mudballs down the years.?
I don't buy it that you can miss a green from 100 odd yards because of mud on the ball...it has an effect but not that much.
When you make contact with the ball, at somewhere between 70 and 100 mph, any large chunk of mud is going to be blasted off the cover in milliseconds.
There will be little or no mud on the ball during the flight..
Perfectly willing to be proved wrong but, until then, a mudball, in my opinion, doesn't divert a ball by 20 yards over 100....
They just played a crap shot.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can just imagine the comments if all clubs here said “ no preffered lies this year ,it’s only a bit of mud just get on with it”
Maybe they should try it.
Preferred lies are to protect the course, not to prevent mud balls. On most courses during the winter in the UK it's sometimes best not to pick and place as there's even more cack around

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert and I'm not a Pro but I've played on parkland courses in winter for nigh on 30 years and had plenty of mudballs down the years.?
I don't buy it that you can miss a green from 100 odd yards because of mud on the ball...it has an effect but not that much.
When you make contact with the ball, at somewhere between 70 and 100 mph, any large chunk of mud is going to be blasted off the cover in milliseconds.
There will be little or no mud on the ball during the flight..
Perfectly willing to be proved wrong but, until then, a mudball, in my opinion, doesn't divert a ball by 20 yards over 100....
They just played a crap shot.
Absolutely. A ball being hit from stationary by a club doing over 130mph?? I'm surprised the cover stays on a lot of the time ???

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Absolutely. A ball being hit from stationary by a club doing over 130mph?? I'm surprised the cover stays on a lot of the time ???
No one's swinging that fast. Except maybe Bryson and that's only off the tee with a clean ball. Much much slower speeds in reality and it affects chips and pitches too