Marriott St Pierre Old Course

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any knowledge of this course on the forum?

I'm playing a 4somes comp there next month and currently trying to work out the best way round for my partner and I to play it. We'll get a practice round when we get there but I'd appreciate any local knowledge. Bearing in mind we'll be playing from the red tees!

I'm particularly intrigued by the 2nd hole which the card is showing as a 323 yard par 5 (from the reds), which should make it a short par 4 in my book! Is that a typo or is it a weird gnarly hole with hazards they don't think ladies can carry?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Any knowledge of this course on the forum?

I'm playing a 4somes comp there next month and currently trying to work out the best way round for my partner and I to play it. We'll get a practice round when we get there but I'd appreciate any local knowledge. Bearing in mind we'll be playing from the red tees!

I'm particularly intrigued by the 2nd hole which the card is showing as a 323 yard par 5 (from the reds), which should make it a short par 4 in my book! Is that a typo or is it a weird gnarly hole with hazards they don't think ladies can carry?

Have a play with this Karen, it takes a bit to load up the aerial image dependent on your speed but you can get the gist of each hole.

The 2D planner is quicker and better on the eye than the 3D

You'll eagle that 2nd :thup:

http://www.provisualizer.com/courses/stpierreold.php

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a play with this Karen, it takes a bit to load up the aerial image dependent on your speed but you can get the gist of each hole.

The 2D planner is quicker and better on the eye than the 3D

You'll eagle that 2nd :thup:

http://www.provisualizer.com/courses/stpierreold.php

Thanks Robin - that's a fascinating website, I think I could lose a few hours playing with it.

That 2nd hole is still a mystery, though, seems very simple! Anyone remember playing it?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Robin - that's a fascinating website, I think I could lose a few hours playing with it.

That 2nd hole is still a mystery, though, seems very simple! Anyone remember playing it?
The hotel has a good snooker room, but that is all I can remember about the place.:mad:

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 2nd is a tricky hole. Anything rightside of fairway you will be blocked out by a large tree that blocks that side if the fairway, so you must get as left as possible but if you go too far left then you will find more trees or if your lucky another fairway. The approach shot is up a steep hill to a raised green (can be a 2 club hill). The green is big but pretty steep again from front up to the back.

Hope that helps.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A very weather dependent course in my opinion.

Quite high in parts so the wind can be a big factor. Also clay based so the fairways can be very sticky with little run if it's been wet.

Rough not too bad - largely set up as a resort course but the mature trees punish off line shots.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 2nd is a tricky hole. Anything rightside of fairway you will be blocked out by a large tree that blocks that side if the fairway, so you must get as left as possible but if you go too far left then you will find more trees or if your lucky another fairway. The approach shot is up a steep hill to a raised green (can be a 2 club hill). The green is big but pretty steep again from front up to the back.

Hope that helps.

Cool, thanks!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like others have said I don't remember much about the course. Lots of mature trees and a bit of water in places. Good luck with your match.

D

Deleted member 18121

I played both courses there last October..... there are only 3 things that I remeber:

1. some guy ran across 2 fairways to tell my mate to tuck the back of his shirt in
2. there is a par 5 with a ditch running across it with a big tree on the right hand side....its a 250 carry. I learned that yes I can carry it but it really wasn't worth the risk.
3. It's a course to place yourself around.....just get in good positions and the rest will follow

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I live across the road, my wife is a member,,,

2nd hole does twist a bit but there is more room left than it appears... for lower handicap ladies it's a gimme if you can hit a high draw!! It's uphill to the green so plays a club longer. The "no-no" is getting blocked out by the large oak on the right, very popular place!

I'd highlight the 5th hole as it is very positional...big slope into trouble right of fairway. If you reach the road even long left you can run down the road and lost ball!

Lots of trees everywhere... it is a typical hotel course... if it's in good shape, its very good, if not , marginal!

Don't always reach for driver...

If you want a hand when you practice, let me know

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Ian good info!

It does look like a course I might use the driver sparingly if I was playing singles but might need to risk it for the extra distance to help my partner. Depends if the driver is behaving on the day if not! :D

anji71

Visit site
Im a member here, a few tips.

Agree with the comment on the 2nd hole. Don't go right. From the red tees you should be need to position a shot just right of the big tree on the left. Long and left over that tree could be ok as long as you don't go too far left. The raised green is tricky and again don't go right or long, a tricky up and down from there.
Better to be short on the green for a uphill putt.

QUOTE=FairwayDodger;1744605]Any knowledge of this course on the forum?

I'm particularly intrigued by the 2nd hole which the card is showing as a 323 yard par 5 (from the reds), which should make it a short par 4 in my book! Is that a typo or is it a weird gnarly hole with hazards they don't think ladies can carry?[/QUOTE]