Marking ball on green

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played a tie the other day and guy was marking his ball with a 3"tee, now when i was putting and looking at hole this tee maybe 3 feet away or whatever was catching my eye and was a real pain, I didnt say anything as i thought it would have been pretty petty and it was more an issue with me just getting something in my head and it was annoying me,nothing really to do with him.I know it was perfectly legal but just how far does the rule go on this, e.g. could you take your shoe off and stick it behind ball.(obviously not recommended as 4 guys taking there shoes on and off would have serious implications on speed of play) but i just wondered.

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
Ball marking method is a recommendation only. So anything goes. Have heard of a beer can being used!
I think they should alter the rule and insist that the ball be marked with a small flat round object similar to a small coin. I also think they shouldn't allow anyone to repair pitch marks with their heel.

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ball marking method is a recommendation only. So anything goes. Have heard of a beer can being used!
From memory i think Brian Barnes was famous for this. A bounce game fair enough but a medal or tie then got to say i agree with Patrick57 but suppose it comes down to personnel preference.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
From memory i think Brian Barnes was famous for this. A bounce game fair enough but a medal or tie then got to say i agree with Patrick57 but suppose it comes down to personnel preference.

After playing in the Links Championship @ Leven on Saturday in which took @ least five hours for the first round I would not complain if they were using tees to mark their balls if it helped speed the round up, maybe some of them were taking their shoes off to mark the ball, Fifers are a funny bunch:whoo:

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After playing in the Links Championship @ Leven on Saturday in which took @ least five hours for the first round I would not complain if they were using tees to mark their balls if it helped speed the round up, maybe some of them were taking their shoes off to mark the ball, Fifers are a funny bunch:whoo:
think thats more to do with rough and finding balls, hope you qualified.

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope :eek:

Managed a .1 on the handicap, MacDonald this weekend and the rough over on Lundin Links is not half as bad as that on Leven.
Tell me about it think ive made buffer twice in last six weeks just keep losing balls, and racking up to many big numbers, but at least the course still open a lot of mates who play parkland not getting much value out of there membership this year,play well on Sun.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As has been said, a round flat object is a recommendation only, but whatever you use it has to be precise enough to mark the position accurately which I doubt a beer can could do! Even less so a shoe.

I am happier using a tee wherever it is not going to be a problem for another player - simply because I don't have to bend down quite so far to pick it up.:mmm:

@Patrick. How on earth can you repair a pitch mark with your heel?

hackerjack99

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree with Colin L about repairing a pitch mark with your heel, if i don't have a pitch mark repair i just use the blade of my putter to bang the green back into shape.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played with a Captain of our club some years ago and for some reason he got irritated, among a host of other things that annoyed him generally, that I was using a 50p coin to mark my ball. He said that he had a smaller coin in his pocket, I heard myself saying that it's would be good if it was small as it wouldn't hurt so much if he stuck it up his arse!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if it is interfering with you then you can request that it be moved - I have politely requested people to move damm great poker chips a club length on occassions (not a putter head!) because they are so distracting.

absolutely no problem with people using what suits them otherwise

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
if it is interfering with you then you can request that it be moved - I have politely requested people to move damm great poker chips a club length on occassions (not a putter head!) because they are so distracting.

absolutely no problem with people using what suits them otherwise

Thats an interesting one Duncan, can you stipulate that you want it moved that far, and what if he sayshe will only move it 2 putter heads off your line?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats an interesting one Duncan, can you stipulate that you want it moved that far, and what if he sayshe will only move it 2 putter heads off your line?

they could offer to replace poker chip with something smaller.
Hey! what about a ball marker?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely if you're concentrating on lining your putt up, then little things like tees, shoes, beer cans or poker chips shouldn't distract you. Then when you're over the ball your concentration should be on your ball until after you have hit it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely if you're concentrating on lining your putt up, then little things like tees, shoes, beer cans or poker chips shouldn't distract you. Then when you're over the ball your concentration should be on your ball until after you have hit it.

as with many things I agree in principle - and have no problem teeing up with a driver 8" the other side of the large white tee markers, or similar.

however, a bright red and white 2" disc is going to get my attention, including when it's the other side of the hole! I am the first to admit that concentration is not my strongest attribute on a golf shot - and I can't see why I shouldn't resolve the resolvable; such as this.