Mark Roe

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He’s in full flow this afternoon, I expect his underwear to be slightly damp the way he is spouting the usual over the top *****.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say I cant stand Roe he has a boring monotone voice, not much personality and tries to bum up the European guys and put down American players for no good reason. I do quite like Monty as an in studio guy as I feel he has a lot to offer but is not really a good commentator. Definitely agreed sky needs more guys like butch, Riley and Beemer they at least have enthusiasm and personality

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately nearly all take a turn for the worst at Augusta. The levels of sycophancy for the course, tournament and heaven forbid if Jack drops in 😱.

In normal times, I also find Roe hard work and prefer pretty much any of the other commentators.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Unfortunately nearly all take a turn for the worst at Augusta. The levels of sycophancy for the course, tournament and heaven forbid if Jack drops in 😱.

In normal times, I also find Roe hard work and prefer pretty much any of the other commentators.

Mostly agree but I find Butch is excellent and manages to always be impartial. Comes across brilliantly. I also like listening to him, very knowledgeable man.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t particularly like roe however, he isn’t that bad, there are far worse commentators across sports than him. Butch is great, very good to listen too, I also like Doherty but these folk can’t go all the time. Roe is fine, not great but fine, he is no ray Wilkins though so I don’t get the hate.
Just to add, I really like rich beam too seems like he would be good craic especially if him and radar were on the lash!!

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think anybody hates him they just find his commentary very boring and he lacks the zest and enthusiasm of other more interesting guys. He's also very biased towards certain guys which is pretty annoying itself

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I could listen to Butch all day. And Rich Beem for that matter. I like Murray as well and he knows how to paint the picture and lets the words dictate rather than talking all the time when viewers can see what's happening for themselves. All the best have done that. Less is more

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could listen to Butch all day. And Rich Beem for that matter. I like Murray as well and he knows how to paint the picture and lets the words dictate rather than talking all the time when viewers can see what's happening for themselves. All the best have done that. Less is more

I don't know if it is fashion, an edict from directors etc but commentators now seem afraid of quiet. I suspect they are told to fill air constantly as rarely are the pictures allowed to be shown and nothing said. Benaud was the master of this, Jim Laker was also wonderful. Barry Davies managed it in football but all football commentators now and for a while feel the need to talk constantly. Clive Tyldesley even does a blinkin monologue before the start of a match 😵.

Incidentally, I agree with the positive comments about the rest of the Sky team.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know if it is fashion, an edict from directors etc but commentators now seem afraid of quiet. I suspect they are told to fill air constantly as rarely are the pictures allowed to be shown and nothing said. Benaud was the master of this, Jim Laker was also wonderful. Barry Davies managed it in football but all football commentators now and for a while feel the need to talk constantly. Clive Tyldesley even does a blinkin monologue before the start of a match 😵.

Incidentally, I agree with the positive comments about the rest of the Sky team.

I was fortunate enough to know Dan Maskell, the BBC tennis commentator and he spoke exactly the same way as he'd commentate. Even in a normal conversation around the golf course, he'd pause, let what he'd said sink in and then either continue or respond to your reply. Alliss (in his prime, not so much these days) Laker, Benaud, Arlott, Ted Lowe, Brian Moore and Barry Davies were all excellent at judging when to speak and when to be quiet

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's going on with the hair!!!

Was watching the golf last night and my wife said he looks a bit lemon.

Got to be honest I don't mind him, far more annoying people out there.

Foles

Visit site
Forgot how much I hate this guy.

Biggest turn off in golf in Mark Roe talking. Can someone remind me how many majors he won and how long he was world number 1 for?????

A guy famous for forgetting to swap cards and nowt else.
McGinley....lovely guy...rubbish commentator

(Mod note.. nice one first post first infraction, please mind the language, see forum rules at the top of OOB)

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
McGinley....lovely guy...*** commentator

Share the sentiment (but be careful with the language or the moderators will have a word in your shell like). (Mod Edit..we already have) McGinley and Roe simply don't cut it as commentators. As plain as that and so get people in that can do the job better. Sky were using Ken Brown I think during the UK swing and even though he's old guard he has a proper depth of knowledge and could still get the message across to the viewer

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine

Visit site
Share the sentiment (but be careful with the language or the moderators will have a word in your shell like). McGinley and Roe simply don't cut it as commentators. As plain as that and so get people in that can do the job better. Sky were using Ken Brown I think during the UK swing and even though he's old guard he has a proper depth of knowledge and could still get the message across to the viewer

Agree wholeheartedly.

The pair of them are so sycophantic with certain players. Especially Roe commenting on anything Tiger does.

Swango1980

Visit site
However, you could play a great drinking game whilst watching the golf. Anytime Mark Roe says "The Game of Golf" you must take a shot. You'd become more drunk than the guy that has to have a shot any time a putt is holed.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ironic this post has returned. A guy at our place today said Roe would come and give a one day Group Lesson. The cost £1600. Cannot stand the man and my colleague was surprise nobody wanted him as a visitor/ teacher

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hate Faldo and his fake American accent. Also the awful woman hettie? But they got rid of her

I like Faldo (I may be biased) but he still calls it as he sees it. I think you mean Henni Zuel who I think won on the LET then retired through injury. I actually think she does ok especially during the ladies coverage. The next one on the block will be Issi Mehmet but having met her she's quite personable and with some training will hold her own much better (if used properly by Sky)