Mark Crossfield - Is he all that?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
While I enjoy the daily vlogs I have to agree that all this PGA bashing, and that of the golf media and what manufacturers are doing is hypocritical especially fully endorsing Under Armour gear and testing products for most releases (and never giving overtly negatively feedback so clearly playing to their preferences and ensuring he is sent further clubs to test). Smacks of double standards and hard to portray yourself as independent when you have clear tie ups (golfonline, my golf travel etc)

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How does Mark having contracts with underarmour, YGT, golf online have anything to do with him being impartial.

His message is quite clear, don't believe the hype, do your research, get fit and find something that works for you.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How does Mark having contracts with underarmour, YGT, golf online have anything to do with him being impartial.

His message is quite clear, don't believe the hype, do your research, get fit and find something that works for you.

My issue with him is that he makes clear snide digs at others for having deals. Questioning their integrity, whilst doing the same.

His product can on occasion be good, but the morale high ground he tries to take is built on quicksand.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to watch him a lot when he first started but went off his stuff after about a year. Started to get a bit samey. Started watching Sheils and Finch and a bit of meandmygolf.

Started watching him again recently, just his daily vlogs, find them quite interesting most of the time. Don't bother watching his course vlogs or equipment tests as I agree with what he says. I'll go try it myself and see.

Personally I agree with him about magazines, whatever his motives, I just find most of the content dull and repetitive and usually out of date by the time the magazine has come out. I get all the information I need online and for free.

I cancelled all my subscriptions a year ago and haven't regretted it.

Tiger Woods

Medal Winner
Visit site
He rips the shizzle out of golf magazines and people who put the world of golf to rights on forums like this. I love him :whoo:

Id much rather play a round with him than 99% of you guys.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t personal see that him being paid to use Under Armour clothes or Callaway clubs that much of an issue - he never says that we as viewers or consumers should buy them.

He’s moved from Puma to Footjoy and now Under Armour clothes, he’s previously used Mizuno clubs and Titleist balls. What he is using or wearing has no influence on what I buy or use.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I like Crossfield's vlogs, especially with Coach Lockey. I'm comforted by the fact that, despite being very good golfers, they also find themselves in the rough. Then again they're playing very tough courses from the tips - and I'm not!

Finch is good but (and this is mean of me) Rick Shiels whiny voice grates with me a bit. Sorry Rick! As I write this I'm watching Matt Fryer and Andy Carter at Bromborough Golf Club.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not Rick's voice that annoys me, but the fact that despite doing Youtube since 2011 he still doesn't seem comfortable on camera, constantly fumbles for the right words to use and it feels like he's trying to change his personality on camera. Some of the jokes he makes, particularly around people other than Finchy are so cringe, just feel awkward watching him. The interview with Rory and Day was painful. Crossfield for all his faults is unbelievably comfortable and natural on camera and his personality remains the same no matter the guest or audience, he's also constantly innovating and coming up with new ideas to improve the course vlogs and club reviews, which is mainly reason I still enjoy watching his videos.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Really not sure how I feel about Mark Crossfield. I sometimes watch a few of his course vlogs and/or review videos and kind of enjoy them for a while and then inadverendly, he will do something totally annoying and inconsiderate (like hitting his shot onto the green while people are stil putting or the like) or make fun of weaker players in a really condescending way and I go off him again.

I watch pretty much everything that Rick and Pete, Carter, Fletch and Fryer put up. Never get tired of any of them. And recently Harry Flower made a comeback to YouTube. He was the first golf guy I ever followed and I really missed his stuff, good to see him playin again. Used to follow Buzza as well, but find him a bit boring now. Except when he plays with Rich Woods. He is absolutely funny and witty and always worth a watch.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Matt is a very likeable fella, I just feel he's turning into Crossfields stooge.

He always has been.

From what I can see Coach has been given a great opportunity in life through Crossfield. Gets to travel the world, loads of exposure for his teaching and video production.

Not to say coach would not been successful without Mark.... but how many random PGA pros across the country are there and how many get to do what Coach has over the last few years.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
I watch most of them, for varying reasons.
Crossfields for his daily vlogs and opinions, I think he's quite insightful and certainly asks questions that the others don't. He genuinely seems to want to change the industry and make it more inclusive, but I agree it doesn't always come across the right way.
Finch/Shiels/carter/fryer I watch for there course vlogs and on course rivalry. I think out of them carter is the better player.
But just watched Harry flowers recent come back and he seems ridiculously talented. Will be watching his progress keenly over the next few month as I think he wants to aim for the tour.

Salty J

Hacker
Visit site
Being new to golf I really like his stuff. Prefer the "mid handicapper" stuff that chap does with Rick Shields. Always a bit wary of taking too much notice of reviews by somebody who's skill is on a different planet to mine.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
TBH, I've seen good bits from all of them, and some stuff I've just moved on from. No sense in getting all bent out of shape over someone's opinion on golf gear. Seem to remember Rick Shiels has been playing with a Nike driver... for whatever reason, I just don't like Nike gear. Won't stop me watching Shiels just because he's got a Nike driver in the bag.

Some of the banter gets a little wearing sometimes but, equally, some will love it... its all just personal choice at the end of the day.