Maradona and Butcher

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can someone explain how England cheated in '66?

They claimed a goal but the ref and linesman gave it - no cheating there - maybe a bit of gamesmanship.

Maradona? He cheated, he was caught cheating (after the goal was given) and didn't apologise for cheating.

How would you feel if you lost your club championship by 1 shot to a guy who kicked his ball out of the rough and made a birdie instead of a bogey?

Cheating is cheating. And we all know what that means in our game.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wasnt suggesting England cheated, what I was saying is that there were many complaints raised by OTHERS ( teams, commentators and the like as well as supporters)Examples of public opinion elsewhere.
Maradona did nothing more than any pro of that era or today would do or frequently do to gain (getting people sent off/dirty fouls etc.) or to score.

Name one forward who would admit to scoring from an off side position and not accept the goal?( you see them all the time running to the ref saying "no no ref I was off side so dont give me the goal please)

Is'nt that cheating also?
Is'nt the same judgement of linesman and ref, exactly the same as the hand of god incident?

If you score knowing you are offside, its cheating.
If you score by pushing an opponant in the face over the goal line with the ball, its cheating.
If you deliberately foul someone to effect a goal scoring chance. its cheating.
If you dive to get a penalty. its cheating.
How many players own up to deliberate fouls? ( they certainly happen, you hear pros all the time making excuses for awful dirty fouls calling it a mistake or an accident.

All of these factors are down to REF and/or LINESMAN
Simply because a player doesnt own up to it doesnt make them any better or worse than maradona because they are all cheats and to me a CHEAT is A CHEAT its only the professional game and the soft heartedness of supporters that accept cheating dressed up as GAMESMANSHIP.

If I had to go to war with comrades chosen on basis of charactor, between a load of ex cons and a bunch of pro footballers, I would genuinely choose ex cons, because I would trust footballers less..

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Can someone explain how England cheated in '66?

They claimed a goal but the ref and linesman gave it - no cheating there - maybe a bit of gamesmanship.

Maradona? He cheated, he was caught cheating (after the goal was given) and didn't apologise for cheating.

How would you feel if you lost your club championship by 1 shot to a guy who kicked his ball out of the rough and made a birdie instead of a bogey?

Cheating is cheating. And we all know what that means in our game.
OK then, Owen's dive for the penalty that put them out in a later WC. Will that do.

Anyway, worse today. I was absolutely livid this morning as SSN again go over the hand of god, and then show banners from Hampden as if it's the Scots who have contrived this nonsense this last couple of weeks. Cut back to the studio and smug arse Mike says "Let it Go Lads"

They were sent this email:

Dear Mike, You have to be joking surely?

The Tartan Army didn't care about "the hand of god", but never has a Scotland game got so much coverage from the English biased media, not of course because of anything to do with Scotland, but because of some karama (as Maradonna himself so rightly pointed out) that befell the English national team 22 years ago.

So what does the Tartan Army do? Respond to this nonsense by poking more fun at you, and then you have the audacity to tell US to let it go? You're having a laugh!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of people miss the point, maradona bonked it in with his hand.....(bad boy!)....Why isnt the level of hatred aimed at the incompetent REF and Linesman ? Surely they have a greater responsibility than a striker cheating? (as most do from time to time)
I guarantee if any England striker could get a goal by conning officials, they would!
When the hand of god incident occured I was angry, but no more angry with maradona then I am with other cheating tactics by strikers. My main hatred and anger was aimed at the officials and still is, but for some reason fans seem to let them off scott free, its all aimed at maradona and that makes for a misguided balance of right over wrong.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But the ref and lino didn't waffle on about 'the hand of god' stuff. That's why I despise him. If he had kept his gob shut, every one would have forgotten about it by now.

GolfOffshore

Medal Winner
Visit site
I dont hold it against Maradona, there isnt a top footballer who hasnt cheated a ref/conned a ref and there arent many strikers who havent at some time played cheating tricks to get a goal in their carreers, none more so than those who are expert divers who get penalties, weve all seen it.

What about Lineker???

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont hold it against Maradona, there isnt a top footballer who hasnt cheated a ref/conned a ref and there arent many strikers who havent at some time played cheating tricks to get a goal in their carreers, none more so than those who are expert divers who get penalties, weve all seen it.

What about Lineker???

What about Lineker????? One of the better strikers maybe, but innocent? C'mon, if you havent seen Lineker get up to a few tricks in his carreer you must have Lineker tinted glasses.lol. :D Ive lost count how many goals he scored from an offside position, he knew he was with at least half of them I would wager but did he ever own up???