Maradona and Butcher

B

birdieman

Ahead of tonight's friendly between Scotland and Argentina the media up here are focusing on the fact that Butcher won't shake Maradona's hand because of the 'Hand of God' goal in Mexico 1986 which Butcher is bitter about.

My question is - Is Butcher right to hold this grudge and not shake hands?
In my opinion in every football game you watch, players are constantly conning the ref with diving, claiming corners and throws that they know aren't their's, so in effect they are all trying to cheat. Maradona cheated and got away with it - it was as much the ref/linesmans fault that they couldn't see the offence wasn't it?
Shilton was too old and too heavy, look at the pic and he is grounded whilst little Maradona is 3 feet up in the air, a younger keeper would've cleared that.

p.s. and just for the record, despite what the media say all Scots did not think it was great that Maradona scored with a hand ball, I would rather England had won that game! :(

Oh and Maradona was the best player ever, not Pele. ;)

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Butcher comes across as a bit childish in my opinion.

Yes Maradona cheated but it was over 20 years ago! Butcher probably has a little maradona doll in his attic that he takes out his frustrations on!

GolfOffshore

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think he should have been a better sportsman about it, shaken hands and shown him up on the field (might be tough though)

I agree with your point that the refs and linesman are to blame but that hand ball was 100% intentional no getting around it.

Plus have you seen the state of Maradona, he looks like my Gran! Would you even wanna touch that, Maradonas hand mind!!!

Did anyone see the Northern Ireland V Scotland U21's last night, it was actually quite a good game, good to see some fluid football from such young players.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It is a football match, if you don't want to shake hands, don't.

I don't like Maradona, and it is not just the hand ball, but all the cr*p he came out with in the press afterwards, hand of god my *rse.

I would still like to punch the idiot, even after 20 years, I am sure Butcher feels the same.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As Maradona says have the English ever apoligised to the Germans for cheating them out of the world cup in 66 when that 'goal' never actually crossed the line? Or had Owen said sorry for cheating for the Pen he won against the Argie in the World Cup??
Get on with it Butcher,it's part of the game as much as getting away with making a bad tackle inside the box and getting away with it which happened to you plenty of times though your career.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I dislike Maradona not so much for the hand of god but for everything that has happened since (the drugs, all the alleged corruption etc). Like it or not the second goal he scored against England was sublime. I'm fairly ambivalent to the whole handshake thing. It doesn't bother me one way or the other and seems like just a good press story really as opposed to actually meaning anything sincere

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with Homer on this, it's more about the drug issue and if there were truly a universal appraoch to drugs Maradonna would have no involvement with football at any level.
If Butcher would rather not shake his hand it's fine by me (with the amount of cocaine that's been through it, Butcher would fail a drugs test!).

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk

p.s. and just for the record, despite what the media say all Scots did not think it was great that Maradona scored with a hand ball, I would rather England had won that game! :(
For the record though, you're in a small minority there.

I've found this whole nonsense pretty disgraceful to bne honest, and Maradonna coming out with his "you cheated to win a world cup, get over it" quote (paparaphrased obvs) was exactly what was needed.

Burley has now also I believe told Butcher to grow up and get over it, he seems to have forgotten that this is Scotland he's meant to be representing, and his views have been very very unpopular.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
It is a football match, if you don't want to shake hands, don't.
Funny you should say that, I used to help coach my lads U-11 team, the sponsoirs son stormed off one day without shaking hands as we'd lost, I tried to get him back on the pitch but his dad said he didn't have to if he didn't want to; I had words with the whole team after the game pointing out that sportsmanship came first, once the game is over that's it.

What I'm trying to say is you are totally wrong.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i like maradonna as he is a character of the game....i dislike maradonna as he scored that goal!

the drugs etc etc whatever does not bothe rme cos at the end of the day its his football that is his job! uyou can say the same about Gazza! [****] hot players with problems off the pitch! was marradona the best player????? I dont know cos tbh i was young in his day and dint see enough of him! bu i know for sure lionel messi is absolute mustard ! Watching him make runs form the half way line to the 18 yard box is incredible... he is solid hard worker when he gets fouled he gets up and carrys on! top Geezer DEFINATELY better then C.ronaldo!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Whilst I always shake hands (hat off) after a round of golf, I am normally playing with friends, and it is a nice gesture of thanks for their companionship through the round. This is sporting.

A meaningless shake of the hand between people who you know can't stand each other, before and after a footy match, come on, that isn't sportsmanship. You see the way that people do it so quickly, turn and practically run down the tunnel that they are only doing it because convention says they should. It isn't to say well done for the win, or commiserations for the loss, it is a brush of the finger tips and off. I would rather they weren't hypocrits tbh.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a 16 year old during the '86 world cup Maradona was an idol but that was tainted woth the HOG nonsense. The whole Maradona and Butcher palava has been flamed by opportunist media and press journalists.

We (Scots) couldn't give a monkeys F*** about the hand of God.

Robo

Club Champion
Visit site
Can you imagine the FA or SFA giving their top

job to a drug cheat(who in the past has shot at

reporters outside his house). He was a great player

but come on the bloke is a joke!

Terry should shake him by the throat...

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you imagine the FA or SFA giving their top
job to a drug cheat(who in the past has shot at
reporters outside his house). He was a great player
but come on the bloke is a joke!
Terry should shake him by the throat...

You would rather him (or in fact anyone) than Burley and Butcher though eh??

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would happily shake him.............. warmly by the throat.

Yes the referee and lino should have spotted it as they should the "goal" from 66 but we beat Germany 4-2 so in the end it wouldn't have made a difference and don't give me all that blox about last minute etc...

Maradonna was a good player... yes. The best. NO!!!
No respect for a guy that dishomest and i'm not just talking about the H.O.G.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Butcher is right to stick to his principles.

It shouldn't be news though. Will all be forgotten once him and Burley get the boot......

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont hold it against Maradona, there isnt a top footballer who hasnt cheated a ref/conned a ref and there arent many strikers who havent at some time played cheating tricks to get a goal in their carreers, none more so than those who are expert divers who get penalties, weve all seen it. People overlook the fact that in the hand of god match we were clearly out played but no one wants to accept this especially when they can blame this single act for the reason they lost. We lost cos we were not good enough! If we were we would have overcome a one goal hiccup.
I have watched Butcher for many yrs of his carreer and he is far from whiter than white in the game, I think it is silly(if true) and he is silly also. In 66 there was suggestion from many quaters that England should not have picked up the prize cos of their campaign strategy.
If England are gonna hang onto this story for the next 50yrs it will be that long before we win anything.
Bloody silly I say!
Is Enland forever gonna be the EXCUSE team of the world?