Majors

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I find the uspga very dull.
Consider the players championship more of a major myself.
As I said before, I think there should be another major in Europe or Australia or Asia.

Edit... is the OP @Jacko_G still around???

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said before, I think there should be another major in Europe or Australia or Asia.

Last post over a year ago, but "last seen" August 8th this year according to his profile. I'm not sure how that's measured though. Like if you click an article on Golf Monthly does it count as a login on here? Who knows.

CountLippe

Visit site

I agree re the PGA, it doesn't have a unique selling point.

The players is growing on me year on year, mainly because of Sawgrass. The nagging issue I have, is its importance is pushed on you. Take this weeks pga tour event. Cam Smith was making his first appearance since winning the open and he's introduced on the tee as 'the defending players champion'. Its just a bit weird.

D

Deleted member 15344

The PGA at times is actually the strongest field of the majors because of the field but the course set up isn’t the hardest

Right now you would struggle to get a major in Aus or Asia because the two biggest markets will be in darkness when they are played

You could have one in the Europe but it needs a big shift

Springveldt

Visit site
The Players being a “5th major” seems like the PGA Tour trying to push it but it’s probably the strongest field all year. I’m not sure I want another major in the US at the same course each year.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I'd like to see them try to make the European tour event at valderamma a lot bigger than it is. Call it the European masters or whatever. Try and get a similar field to the Scottish open then hopefully see it grow over time.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The Players being a “5th major” seems like the PGA Tour trying to push it but it’s probably the strongest field all year. I’m not sure I want another major in the US at the same course each year.
Wasn't sure if you including 'majors' in the strongest fields comment. According to OWGR it was stronger than the Masters this year...

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2525440

Am expecting The Players may drop down in 2023 though

RRidges

Visit site
The key differentiator about the current Majors is that they are all run by 'independent' organisations - ie. not by Tours.
The PGA is definitely the weakest and several PGAT events, like The Players and The Fedex Cup series are bigger. Maybe winners of those events should be added to exempt lists, at least for a period, that include Majors, but it's likely that they will be anyway.

D

Deleted member 23270

Take this weeks pga tour event. Cam Smith was making his first appearance since winning the open and he's introduced on the tee as 'the defending players champion'. Its just a bit weird.
The PGA tour yet again ignoring the importance of the rest of world golf. The main reason I hope LIV forces a few changes.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The key differentiator about the current Majors is that they are all run by 'independent' organisations - ie. not by Tours.
The PGA is definitely the weakest and several PGAT events, like The Players and The Fedex Cup series are bigger. Maybe winners of those events should be added to exempt lists, at least for a period, that include Majors, but it's likely that they will be anyway.
Out of interest, on what criteria are you concluding the US PGA is definitely the weakest?

Ironically the US PGA already does have The Players in their exempt list
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2535751

The Fedex stuff kind of did it indirectly by giving out a load of ranking points.

Personally I have a lot of time for the view on keeping with the traditional pro formats (the anti liv argument), but I can't align that with endorsing the contrived FedEx.
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/its-a-bit-too-much-fitzpatrick-on-unfair-fedex-cup-playoffs

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Winner of the Players

The winner also receives a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour (formerly ten years), a three-year invitation to the Masters Tournament, three-year exemptions for the U.S. Open and The Open Championship, and an exemption to the next three PGA Championship tournaments starting in 2018.

Fed EX Champ gets a 5 year exemption in American and some other tour events and the resultant world standing will probably get them in to The Open and Masters for sometime.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The PGA tour yet again ignoring the importance of the rest of world golf. The main reason I hope LIV forces a few changes.
Its an American association. It isnt an altruistic golf promoter to the world and has no responsibility to do so.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Out of interest, on what criteria are you concluding the US PGA is definitely the weakest?
The majors are only worth the value people choose to ascribe to them. The majors are only majors because we regard them so. Everyone regards the PGA as the weakest because we choose to. Which is enough.

Swango1980

Visit site
Agreed. Not read this thread, but I believe one of the reasons it was sold to us was that the new schedule is better as players can build up the "Major Season". Obviously that is rubbish, the new schedule is bound to be about money.

However, I'm not a fan of having the Majors so close together. It means that if any player goes through a real purple patch for 2 or 3 months, at the right time in their career, they can really get a good string of Major results. Whereas a great player might go through a rough patch, and be non existent. If they are spread out, then result may be a little less in favour of form, and more in favour of class. If a golfer won 2 or more majors in a year, that is impressive. But, I think it would be more impressive if the Majors were spread out more over the year, rather that all within a few months.

RRidges

Visit site

Ironically the US PGA already does have The Players in their exempt list
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2535751

The Fedex stuff kind of did it indirectly by giving out a load of ranking points.

Personally I have a lot of time for the view on keeping with the traditional pro formats (the anti liv argument), but I can't align that with endorsing the contrived FedEx.
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/its-a-bit-too-much-fitzpatrick-on-unfair-fedex-cup-playoffs
It just doesn't seem to have the same pzazz of the others, so my own perception - which I probably should have specified. Not surprised The Mastes is actually the lowest 'quality' field - as the lifetime allowance for previous winners and they seem more likely to attend than similar qualified PGA winners (Sandy Lyle for example).
I agree that The Fedex Final is a bit contrived, though rewarding the whole season best performing player does seem to have some merit. Golf isn't like Tennis, for example, where the top seeds are likely to progress and often win much more than in Golf. That's no bad thing for either sport though.