Majors

D

Deleted member 1147

What I would like to see is a major played in somewhere other than the US or UK.

It could be one that moves between different countries or even continents.

For me I have far less interest in the USPGA and even the US Open than I do in the Open or Masters. A new event in September or October would be great.
In the old days the Aussie Open was almost like the 5th major, all of the big names played and won there.
Maybe they should make more of it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah we've definitely rattled through them too quickly, it now kinda feels like professional golf is over for the year and it's only July still. As mentioned it would be ok on Ryder Cup years I think. But on the odd years I don't think it works.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not keen on the new schedule, actually takes away from the excitement in my opinion because they all come too quickly. We now have a fairly boring month of golf, the first couple of fed ex playoffs aren't all that exciting. Was better when the PGA was in August, sort of broke up the season a bit. The season almost feels like it's done already tournament wise and it's not even the end of July!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So, they're all done and dusted.

End of July and not another major till April 2020! I don't think the new scheduling has enhanced the majors or made the golf season any better, personally I think it's guff we now have "meaningless tournaments" for the rest of the season.

I think it was Rose who was also against the new major timings.

What does everyone else think?

I'm against the new schedule. It's far too condensed with regards the majors and means the events between each major is barely given a second look by the top players.

Obviously this has all been done for US tv and avoiding a clash with the NFL which starts in September, but I really think we will see this going back the way soon. Main issue is that if you are a sponsor for one of the events sandwiched in between the majors, you might not be all that impressed to see that only 2 of the top 10 have turned up and the winner was a guy ranked 200 in the world that no one had heard of. We could genuinely see a roll back in pro golf prize money at this rate.

Saving grace is that this may give the European Tour a chance to pick up some momentum at the back end of the year with big events at Wentworth, Italy, Turkey, SA & Dubai - as well as other decent tourneys at the Dunhill and France. Possibly we will see decent numbers of PGA Tour players over to play for big money at the back end of the year.

Personal preference would be to spread everything out a bit more. i think in terms of majors it was fine to have the previous schedule. If anything, I'd be happy to knock the PGA back even further to late September / early October. Means much less time until the following years Masters.

Other thing that really rips my knitting is the constant overkill about the Fed ex Cup. Yes, it's a lot of money, but it sadly doesn't find the best player over the whole season. It's far too contrived and they have messed up the format beyond anything credible to try and generate drama on the final few weeks. They need to change this back to just a normal season long race - possibly make it the best 16 or 18 results to stop someone like Kuchar playing extra events and being ahead of guys with obviously better season - namely Koepka and Rory.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Thought I'd pull this up. Quite a few on this and other threads weren't too keen with the 'majors' being all over in July.
Could the current upheaval in the game bring a more spaced out schedule? Or has that horse bolted?

For me the two opens are the 'premier majors', neither would probably want to move.
Personally I like the premium tournaments to move courses each year.
The Masters is loved by many (including me), but in reality doesn't have the strongest field (or biggest purse). It was played later in the year when covid affected.
The US PGA is regularly ranked 4th, although often has a strong field.

D

Deleted member 15344

Thought I'd pull this up. Quite a few on this and other threads weren't too keen with the 'majors' being all over in July.
Could the current upheaval in the game bring a more spaced out schedule? Or has that horse bolted?

For me the two opens are the 'premier majors', neither would probably want to move.
Personally I like the premium tournaments to move courses each year.
The Masters is loved by many (including me), but in reality doesn't have the strongest field (or biggest purse). It was played later in the year when covid affected.
The US PGA is regularly ranked 4th, although often has a strong field.

I think the moving of the US PGA has sort of ruined the season for me

The two Opens are as you say the two main ones

They should stay as they are and then as you say move around as they do

The US PGA should move back to its mid August spot and then the Fed Ex after

The early season all builds up to the Masters in April

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is always worth remembering that in the States golf is a lot lower down the TV rankings than NFL or baseball so the PGA event timings are very much centred around that.
It also meant the the US players were much more likely to play in World events as their season (for big name players ) has effectively finished hence the European PGA at Wentworth also changing dates to September.

PS Just realised how old this thread is,

BubbaP

Visit site
It is always worth remembering that in the States golf is a lot lower down the TV rankings than NFL or baseball so the PGA event timings are very much centred around that.
It also meant the the US players were much more likely to play in World events as their season (for big name players ) has effectively finished hence the European PGA at Wentworth also changing dates to September.

PS Just realised how old this thread is,
Yes old, but 2020 was covid affected.
Also, yes understand about the TV & sports situation in the US. Know the US is a big market but should those factors affect the world professional game?

CountLippe

Visit site
Masters has to be in April, from what we saw in 2020, Augusta looks very ordinary outside of spring.

Moving the open would be interesting. Links courses rely on the wind, and the middle of July must be the least windy time of the year.

Doesn't matter when the other two are played. Was it the heat in August which caused the PGA to move?

BubbaP

Visit site
Masters has to be in April, from what we saw in 2020, Augusta looks very ordinary outside of spring.

Moving the open would be interesting. Links courses rely on the wind, and the middle of July must be the least windy time of the year.

Doesn't matter when the other two are played. Was it the heat in August which caused the PGA to move?

It would be interesting to move the Open, but suspect they also need the daylight hours for the large field and often slow rounds.

I think the PGA moved so the PGA Tour could have the space to themselves for the FedEx - being positioned as the big ending to 'the season'.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of a global Major. Places like Australia / New Zealand / Japan etc all deserve a chance to host such an event.
Make the USPGA a global event ,will need renaming of course.
Might be a bit unfair on the club pros but they could have their own us club pro open.
Like the Eurovision Song Contest being held in the winners home country.
That would throw up some great venues.

D

Deleted member 15344

When would you think they could move the Open to though - July appears to be the perfect time for a Links major

I like the idea of a global Major. Places like Australia / New Zealand / Japan etc all deserve a chance to host such an event.

Don’t think it will ever happen because when they host events over there the two biggest golf audiences and markets won’t see it with the time zone issues - it’s half the reason why events in Aus don’t grab the attention and why the WGC in China is the worst supported one

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When would you think they could move the Open to though - July appears to be the perfect time for a Links major

Don’t think it will ever happen because when they host events over there the two biggest golf audiences and markets won’t see it with the time zone issues - it’s half the reason why events in Aus don’t grab the attention and why the WGC in China is the worst supported one
Yes that is the main problem.
It’s all about the $$$$$$$

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, it can't just be me that thought St Andrews was a bit of a joke this year? 20 under is not the Open. Stick it in the back end of September and hope the wind gets up a bit more. Players driving greens with their 3 wood and not a care in the world was daft.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah, it can't just be me that thought St Andrews was a bit of a joke this year? 20 under is not the Open. Stick it in the back end of September and hope the wind gets up a bit more. Players driving greens with their 3 wood and not a care in the world was daft.

Why does the score matter ? The Open was thrilling this year - the course is the same for all of them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does the score matter ? The Open was thrilling this year - the course is the same for all of them.
Just the fact that Links courses are meant to be challenging due to the conditions, without a breath of wind I thought they all found it a bit easy. It was still an entertaining Sunday, you're not wrong. Would be interesting to see the Open a bit more challenging though I think.