M25 protests

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I would not put myself in the bracket of being overly environmentally friendly, I have traditionally driven high powered cars that had appalling MPG's and I would be a frequent visitor to the local petrol station. I have recently got an electric car but that was more to do with saving myself a bundle of cash and being more tax efficient than wanting to save the world.

That said I am torn on this one as the frustration is that turning up outside Westminster etc with placards doesn't have any effect whatsoever and whilst I don't necessarily agree with the method and the disruption it causes I am not entirely sure what the alternative is. I live within a couple of minutes of Junction 9 on the M25 so it is one of the areas that is regularly targeted and whilst I don't tend to use the road when they protest our local area is gridlocked pretty quickly as people try and find alternative routes. Maybe I would view things differently if I had to use the M25 for work but I just plan accordingly when things get busy around here.

I believe we are rapidly approaching a tipping point and sadly I also believe that the protests etc won't make the blindest bit of difference and we are going to have to get used to living in a world where there are more extreme natural events and a lot of human displacement in the coming years as coastal areas find themselves under water. There are too many powerful people with a vested interest in not rushing through any immediate changes and by the point that they are ready it'll be too late. I would like to be wrong but seeing how things have worked over the last few years have done nothing to dissuade me from the view that they are only in it for themselves and the greater good is for others to worry about. Essentially we will just have to adapt to changing conditions and live here for as long as the place is habitable!

I was listening to the radio yesterday and there was an interesting counter argument being made against those who say that we should be protesting against China etc. China haven't signed up to the timelines for net zero etc that a lot of the world have however the point was made that the reason they haven't is that they have set a more realistic timescale to achieve it and when those deadlines arrive it is going to be the Chinese that are a lot closer to being there than other countries who have made ambitious claims but ultimately miss every one of them!

With regards the police arresting the reporter I think this is a timely reminder of why we shouldn't be considering giving them any further powers as they cannot be trusted with the ones that they have. The reporter, if minded, will sue and will win her case easily however it'll be us as tax payers that will pick up the bill due to the over zealousness of a couple of police officers who seemed to have little clue (or care) for dealing with members of the press.

Finally, on the lorry incident that injured a policeman, it was during a rolling road block. I would suggest that if a lorry driver cannot control their vehicle at very low speeds then they shouldn't be on our roads.

With you completely until the penultimate paragraph .Nailed it!
We don’t know the full circumstances of that Police and Press action, so judgement is premature.
What I will say that of all the countries in the world, ours is one where accountability for Police actions is good.
Also, I have seen first hand situations where peaceful protest, I.e. stood on pavement holding placards, has then changed having been orchestrated by the Press for photo reasons where the protesters were gathered and asked to charge at gates from which lorries were trying to emerge. IOW, incitement!
And, if anything is complicated, the Law is?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With you completely until the penultimate paragraph .Nailed it!
We don’t know the full circumstances of that Police and Press action, so judgement is premature.
What I will say that of all the countries in the world, ours is one where accountability for Police actions is good.
Also, I have seen first hand situations where peaceful protest, I.e. stood on pavement holding placards, has then changed having been orchestrated by the Press for photo reasons where the protesters were gathered and asked to charge at gates from which lorries were trying to emerge. IOW, incitement!
And, if anything is complicated, the Law is?
“Accountability is good for Police actions”
I think there are a lot of family’s in Liverpool who would disagree with that statement.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
“Accountability is good for Police actions”
I think there are a lot of family’s in Liverpool who would disagree with that statement.

With respect Hillsborough was 30+ years ago and I think a lot has changed. (Also let’s no get off topic) I wondered if the clamping down on the press was to deny the Stop oil mob the oxygen of publicity?

Yesterday East London was gridlocked, it was as bad a day for congestion as I can remember, all roads full. When I looked on the BBC and SKY news websites there was no mention of Stop Oil, (just a ton about US elections)

Something needs to be done to stop this disruption, if the M25 is classed as critical infrastructure then Stop Oil should be classed as a terror group and have there funding frozen. Same with the organisation funding them, CEF (set up by an oil barons granddaughter!) Choke off the bail money, ramp up the sentences and I think the enthusiasm will drop off.

D

Deleted member 1740

Hertfordshire police confirm the arrest of another Journalist (a reporter for LBC)was unneccessary.

From listening to the ordeal endured by said journalist, it seems the abuse of power is rife within that force or the officers arent adequately trained.

The press, whilst i'm not totally supportive of all and agree with their agendas, must be allowed to do their jobs without fear of being arrested. We in this country need a free press.

Asian Dawn

Visit site
OK how about the police go up and handcuff these idiots to the gantries they are occupying. And leave them there. No danger to the traffic below - they can make their protest and everyone gets on with things. Then after they've had 48 hours up there, uncuff them, bring them down and prosecute them.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
When they applied there was a worldwide shortage of crystal balls for the Police to use?
Of these “ bad apples “, how many of them do you know of who had previous character attributes which were on record and available to the Police vetting procedures to which you refer…? Hmmm?

so, anyone who employs someone ,who then abuses that position, is the real villain of the situation are they?

Wobble your head.!
You're happy that people accused of sexual assault are allowed in to the force ? Or a domestic abuse conviction is ok? What are you on about crystal balls... The police force are letting in people who should have failed vetting checks and never got near a uniform.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're happy that people accused of sexual assault are allowed in to the force ? Or a domestic abuse conviction is ok? What are you on about crystal balls... The police force are letting in people who should have failed vetting checks and never got near a uniform.

Convicted of an offense then definitely not. Simply having been accused of and having your career ruined is the start of a slippery slope. Further info would be required such as was it a malicious complaint rather than an evidence based one? Was the reason it wasn't prosecuted due to insufficient evidence or the fact that the assault didn't actually happen? Anyone can make an accusation of sexual assault against anyone else and I'm not comfortable with the accusation alone being enough to ruin someone's career without more understanding of the situation.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Convicted of an offense then definitely not. Simply having been accused of and having your career ruined is the start of a slippery slope. Further info would be required such as was it a malicious complaint rather than an evidence based one? Was the reason it wasn't prosecuted due to insufficient evidence or the fact that the assault didn't actually happen? Anyone can make an accusation of sexual assault against anyone else and I'm not comfortable with the accusation alone being enough to ruin someone's career without more understanding of the situation.
There is an article on sky news about the failures of police vetting that stems from an enquiry after the murder of Sarah everard by a serving police officer.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Colchester says it as well as it can be said. Do you think it should be different..?
a domestic abuse conviction should bar acceptance, no doubt. I find it difficult to believe that such a person was accepted , unless there is something exceptional in why the conviction was not known. If it was known, no excuse!

However, how accurate is your assertion ? Your source is?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Colchester says it as well as it can be said. Do you think it should be different..?
a domestic abuse conviction should bar acceptance, no doubt. I find it difficult to believe that such a person was accepted , unless there is something exceptional in why the conviction was not known. If it was known, no excuse!

However, how accurate is your assertion ? Your source is?

HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sky have got one of their “spokespeople” on - my god it’s dumb.

She’s got no interest in answering the questions and zero sympathy for those missing hospital appointments or funerals.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
HM Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services

Not readily apparent. Or are you talking about the report in the Guardian about how many accused were still serving. This comes up when googling H.M Inspectorate, but

These were cases of serving officers , of current good character,being accused of domestic assault/abuse. It highlights what percentage we’re still serving, the allegations not being proved, and how many were dismissed or resigned etc.

That is not what you said. You said that persons with domes abuse conviction were then recruited as Police officers, the vetting procedure not being properly used.
I saw nothing there , in the Guardian, about someone with a domestic abuse conviction to their name going on to be recruited as aPolice Officer.
You say the H.M. inspectorate shows such instances. Can you provide a specific report?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hertfordshire police confirm the arrest of another Journalist (a reporter for LBC)was unneccessary.

From listening to the ordeal endured by said journalist, it seems the abuse of power is rife within that force or the officers arent adequately trained.

The press, whilst i'm not totally supportive of all and agree with their agendas, must be allowed to do their jobs without fear of being arrested. We in this country need a free press.

I was listening to LBC on the way home today and the interview with a police commissioner had a crux point for me.

He asked the following question:

“ if a member of the public was on a gantry attempting suicide, would you report the delay as that or that it was simple delays/closures due to people on the gantry? “

After constantly batting two questions back and forth he responded along the lines of:

“ if the road is closed due to someone / multiple people on the road or gantry It should reported as that. If you would not state the reason being to attempt self harm then why give oxygen to the very cause of the protests. Please report the news in a consistent manor and not deliver news to create more news “

I have him spot on!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sky have got one of their “spokespeople” on - my god it’s dumb.

She’s got no interest in answering the questions and zero sympathy for those missing hospital appointments or funerals.
Think you have the comment wrong re dumb. She , Indigo Rumbelo was far worse than dumb. She never listed to a question, never answered anything but was like a Long Playing record.

The interviewer had no control. If ‘that woman’ is the best The rebellion Group can provide what a shambles. Going to be a hard slog.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A question; if they want all oil banned with immediate effect, where are we going to get the insulation they want from as it’s made from petroleum products?

They don't want oil banned now. They want all new oil licences revoked.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63543307.amp

Rightly so. We don't need more oil. We need a viable alternative invested in not just to hell with the planet mine for more and more oil.

I don't agree with their methods but their cause is spot on.

Unfortunately those at the top won't listen without the way they go about it.