M25 protests

D

Deleted member 1740

It must be a complete an utter nightmare for the public around there at the minute. The protesters are just rubbing everyone up the wrong way.

On a sidenote did you see how Hertfordshire police locked up 2 press members who were reporting/filming on the protests the other day? A blatant misuse of power.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The laws need to change around the protesting rights, until then we’ve got to put up with it. If an ambulance fails to save a life(on route to a patient or back to the hospital) or similar with a fire services unit, then it will force change.

the irony is they are doing more harm than good, it took my misses 8 hours to get to work and back yesterday, this would normally take 2 hours. Excess traffic everywhere burning over twice the amount of fuel but also diverting traffic through busy city centres which no doubt effects air quality. It was the same with the climate change gang protested in London on Hyde park corner in a summer heat wave, everyone sat in their cars with the engines running and aircon on full.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It must be a complete an utter nightmare for the public around there at the minute. The protesters are just rubbing everyone up the wrong way.

On a sidenote did you see how Hertfordshire police locked up 2 press members who were reporting/filming on the protests the other day? A blatant misuse of power.

What was the reason for their arrest then? The fact that they were arrested isn’t necessarily a blatant misuse of power the why might be, but the news states it was for a conspiracy to cause a public nuisance . Having previously dealt with the “gentlemen” of the press, in certain circumstances arrest is precisely what some of them needed, and in one case that I’m aware of quite rightly got.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

why are they doing it (short term objective). It is to create this above.
Police should ignore them in terms of interrupting the traffic, just let it flow.
Protesters can sit up there ”car spotting” while people go about their vital and sometimes urgent business.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
why are they doing it (short term objective). It is to create this above.
Police should ignore them in terms of interrupting the traffic, just let it flow.
Protesters can sit up there ”car spotting” while people go about their vital and sometimes urgent business.

Whilst I like the idea in principle what happens when one of them slips or decides to martyr themselves into the speeding traffic below? The mess that would cause doesn’t bear thinking about and would be far worse to clear up than the traffic jams they are causing.

Asian Dawn

Visit site
Whilst I like the idea in principle what happens when one of them slips or decides to martyr themselves into the speeding traffic below? The mess that would cause doesn’t bear thinking about and would be far worse to clear up than the traffic jams they are causing.

They could be nominated for a Darwin Award. Sorry but I have absolutely no time for their utter stupidity.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
They could be nominated for a Darwin Award. Sorry but I have absolutely no time for their utter stupidity.

And what makes you think I have any time for them? They are absolute morons in the way that they are going about this, but that doesn’t mean we should risk the lives of those legitimately using the motorway should one of them come off the gantry onto a car.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The tragedy is that they have a valid point to make about what needs to happen to mitigate an impending climate catastrophe. The fact that the worldwide direct + indirect subsidies for the oil industry is about $6 trillion per year is just mind boggling.
But their methods are out of order and antagonise the very people whose support they should be trying to attract.
And they prevent the government taking appropriate positive action because they'd then be seen to be caving in to mob pressure.
(Insulate Britain had the same problem. Actually they are probably the same bunch, just changed the name.)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And what makes you think I have any time for them? They are absolute morons in the way that they are going about this, but that doesn’t mean we should risk the lives of those legitimately using the motorway should one of them come off the gantry onto a car.
Whilst I agree with you re the innocent driver below, the protesters know the traffic will be stopped so they the protester won’t be hurt. Perhaps it’s time the risk for those wanting to cause wanton chaos for the traffic be increased, or they be ignored altogether and left to freeze.
Something has to be done, because it’s obvious a risk of contempt of court obviously has no impact on them.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with @cliveb about the change needing to happen. Since 2019/2020 England & Europe states no single source fossil fuel cars to be manufactured after 2025 with EV only by 2030 yet we are constantly hearing about winter black out concerns this year.

We need to accept that changing to volume in which oil is used simply will not happening over night and daddies little princess crying on Bridge on the m25 will not speed up this process.

There is a lack of knowledge into just how much oil is used in production of multiple materials, for example a brand of motorcycle tyre I used to sell was predominantly oil and silicone based while the world was under the impression “ a tyre is rubber “.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I wouldn't want to be driving a car when a protester falls either in front of me and I run them over or worse, causes me to crash and injure myself or someone else.
So the police have no choice but to shut the road.

I watched one of them briefly on itv today (I can only watch it briefly at normal times) and just had to switch off, as he basically just kept saying the same programmed lines and not answering, even by Ed Balls' standards, some pretty basic questions.
It appears that they won't engage in dialogue or hear the other point of view.

I left home yesterday at 7am, and got into work at 10am instead of 08.45 because of their "protest". I was and remain, livid at their actions! Their demands are not achievable as yet. There isn't the infrastructure to provide all the world's energy other than with fossil fuels for a time longer. However, I fully support the reduction and dependency on fossil fuels, but please can we have realistic targets, not politicians setting them without a clue or this lot seemingly without a scientific clue.

I spotted a picture yesterday on twitter of a chap looking rather smug atop a gantry and couldn't help but notice his hard hat was made from a coconut shell, his hi-vis jacket was hemp, dyed with berry juice and both were made on an island, by hand, and then rowed in a wooden boat across the sea and then transported to him by foot.
WERE THEY HELL!!! Plastic products all, a by-product of the very oil they demonise, factory produced overseas I'm sure and shipped over.

Protest by all means, but the hypocrisy needs to be checked.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
My question for those stating "protest, but not like this"... What do you want them to do? protest in an empty to field where nobody sees anything? what's the point in that?

Realistically, we all need to do more. But me having a milkman, delivering my milk on an electric vehicle in reusable glass containers (it's the future, I tell you!) and recycling cardboard only goes so far when I've also been on a plane 4 times this year.

Change, and big change, has to happen centrally and probably with multiple big governments working together. (If only there was a union of sorts that would help this sort of collaboration). If we stopped new oil right now, and focused that time on money on tidal and wind, for example, what is the worst that could happen? Absolutely nothing of note to the common man at the bottom of the ladder. The oil will run out. We're an island. The tide won't stop tiding. the wind won't stop winding!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My question for those stating "protest, but not like this"... What do you want them to do? protest in an empty to field where nobody sees anything? what's the point in that?

Realistically, we all need to do more. But me having a milkman, delivering my milk on an electric vehicle in reusable glass containers (it's the future, I tell you!) and recycling cardboard only goes so far when I've also been on a plane 4 times this year.

I get the protesting issue regarding maximum impact, but at the same time creating delays and traffic only increases the rate in which oil is burned. As highlighted in other posts education into raw materials and what is used to manufacture products would reduce oil usage hugely. I’d like to know how these protesters are getting around as I didn’t see any push bikes in the videos so only assume the floated!

regarding your four plane trips, only you can decide if they were needed. I flew to Ireland recently for an induction for a new employer, it was 100% needed and I flew with a clear mind. I drove a 400 mile round trip that was completely pointless yesterday, that really twisted my pickle. Acknowledging what is needed and what isn’t going forward needs to be done by all.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just seen on the news that one of these protests has caused a crash between a police motorbike rider and a lorry. Luckily no serious injuries but I suspect it won't be long before we see some serious injuries because of these idiots

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just seen on the news that one of these protests has caused a crash between a police motorbike rider and a lorry. Luckily no serious injuries but I suspect it won't be long before we see some serious injuries because of these idiots

Hopefully stuff like this forces a change in our toleration levels to this waffle