M25 protests

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Well, you are right about the vetting. I was wrong. My apologies.
I have read enough of the report which states they found serious( in my view, very serious) omissions of vetting procedures and checks.
Frankly, it beggars belief. I know how the system used to work, and it was nothing like what was reported here.
I was wrong because I could not imagine such people being appointed without their past being known. I can understand people using subterfuge to fool the system, but this is not that: this is reporting that the system would have known the position if proper procedures had been followed.

But this seems even worse, quote from report,

”There were occasions when sound vetting rejections had been overruled, with dubious justification”

This smacks of too much bureaucracy and vital decisions not being in the hands of the right people.
Or am I clutching at straws.?

I’ll take a guess that there is a degree of “box-ticking” or quota filling in this day and age that didn’t exist previously which will explain some of it.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Think you have the comment wrong re dumb. She , Indigo Rumbelo was far worse than dumb. She never listed to a question, never answered anything but was like a Long Playing record.

The interviewer had no control. If ‘that woman’ is the best The rebellion Group can provide what a shambles. Going to be a hard slog.

i was being polite!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
On the Energy front in general, there seems to be this conception that wind is a cleaner energy than oil, why is this I wonder, wind turbines have a life expectancy of 10 years, then the cost to maintain them will be too much.
There is a place in my opinion for wind and oil energy.
I’m involved right now for building two offshore wind farms and it’s not as Rosie as people think, but unless you’re involved in the industry or have seriously studied it, you wouldn’t know.
This isn’t a dig at anybody but you really need to know your stuff and not believe everything you read, people will always tell you what you want to hear.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
On the Energy front in general, there seems to be this conception that wind is a cleaner energy than oil, why is this I wonder, wind turbines have a life expectancy of 10 years, then the cost to maintain them will be too much.
I’m involved right now for building two offshore wind farms and it’s not as Rosie as people think, but unless you’re involved in the industry or have seriously studied it, you wouldn’t know.
This isn’t a dig at anybody but you really need to know your stuff and not believe everything you read, people will always tell you what you want to hear.

I thought wind turbines had a life expectancy of 20 to 25 years?

No energy production is 100% clean. But we can do better than just keeping on burning stuff.

It’s like arguments against EV because they are not 100% green whilst ignoring that they don’t produce emissions at a local level. Which improves air quality.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought wind turbines had a life expectancy of 20 to 25 years?

No energy production is 100% clean. But we can do better than just keeping on burning stuff.

It’s like arguments against EV because they are not 100% green whilst ignoring that they don’t produce emissions at a local level. Which improves air quality.

They can last longer, but that comes at a big cost, Turbines run 24/7 pretty much, the government might subsidise maintenance in the future as the cost of replacing will be eye-watering.

I’m in agreement about doing better and wind is part of that, but drilling for oil isn’t as bad as is made out, but again unless you’re in the know……

There is a place for wind, solar and oil/gas in my opinion.

I don’t think we should restrict ourselves as a country when it’s not required.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They just interviewed one of the protesters on radio five. She was talking about a third of the wheat crop being destroyed this year and half of the potato crop. She then went on to say that "if the government go ahead with new oil and gas licenses we're going to be facing major food shortages next year". They could grant 1000 new licences tomorrow and it won't make the slightest bit of difference to what happens next year. She either doesn't understand the length of time between a licence being granted and extraction starting or is simply making stuff up to scare people. I know which I think it is.

Ian_George

Visit site
Indeed, but 'cost of production' is not the only consideration! Having the cheapest or most efficient method for providing the means to kill the planet isn't my #1 priority! It's not always the production of energy that's the issue and providing oil is only 1 step in the energy production process! It's the conversion of that oil to energy that is the process that causes the greenhouse gases that are killing the planet!

Nuclear is an efficient method of production, but also has safety and disposal 'costs' that need to be considered too! Hydro is pretty clean, but not always available. Solar has pros and cons too.

Basically, energy production, it's usage and effects is the greatest issue of this time!

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They just interviewed one of the protesters on radio five. She was talking about a third of the wheat crop being destroyed this year and half of the potato crop. She then went on to say that "if the government go ahead with new oil and gas licenses we're going to be facing major food shortages next year". They could grant 1000 new licences tomorrow and it won't make the slightest bit of difference to what happens next year. She either doesn't understand the length of time between a licence being granted and extraction starting or is simply making stuff up to scare people. I know which I think it is.
This will probably interest Dando but following from “the interview’ last night with Mark Austin and Indigo Rumbelo if anybody cares to ‘google’ her name you will find interesting reading.

From what appears to be a privileged background brought up on a 640k farm, travelled extensively around Europe and also Nepal a couple of times. Now getting there and back walking will take some time!

People in glass houses!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This will probably interest Dando but following from “the interview’ last night with Mark Austin and Indigo Rumbelo if anybody cares to ‘google’ her name you will find interesting reading.

From what appears to be a privileged background brought up on a 640k farm, travelled extensively around Europe and also Nepal a couple of times. Now getting there and back walking will take some time!

People in glass houses!

Or just click below;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-daughter-lectures-public-saving-planet.html

Either she's very tall or she appears to have used a lot of fossil fuel at 30,000 feet...

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

People in glass houses!

i did see that and had to have a chuckle

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
They have announced the cessation of protests for the foreseeable future.

From a practical viewpoint, so many have been arrested, there can’t be many left.

It’s been a really difficult week at work, all our drivers have been badly held up

Perversely, I was delayed by 2 1/2 hours on both Wednesday and Thursday in the process of delivering electric cars to end users ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's just lazy nonsense.

No it's not. Only a couple of weeks ago Gary Lineker was tweeting about how his plane to Barcelona to watch a football match was delayed and he was going to miss the match. The very next day he was retweeting stories from about the climate emergency and how we need to do everything we can to reduce our emissions. How about not flying to Barcelona to watch a football match that was on TV as a good way to start to reduce emissions.