M25 protests

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Send in some of the eastern European police forces that take no prisoners, maybe then they will think twice about some of these pointless protests.

Yeah. Police brutality is the answer.

Maybe you’d like to go down there and give them a beating?

D

Deleted member 1740

What was the reason for their arrest then? The fact that they were arrested isn’t necessarily a blatant misuse of power the why might be, but the news states it was for a conspiracy to cause a public nuisance . Having previously dealt with the “gentlemen” of the press, in certain circumstances arrest is precisely what some of them needed, and in one case that I’m aware of quite rightly got.

Have a look/listen to these above.

As you're aware Press ID is recognised by the police. The fact the arresting officer refused to even look at his Press ID in my opinion is a misuse of power.

Both lads were released without charge etc

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah. Police brutality is the answer.

Maybe you’d like to go down there and give them a beating?

Joking aside, how long do you honestly feel it’s going to be before a member of the public does snap and dies exactly that?

Cast you mind back a few months and one of the groups (insulate Britain I think) blocked a road in east London and prevented an ambulance or fire truck getting through. One of the public lifted all three protesters out the of road bit the point is temperatures were rising quickly and it’s the first time I’ve seen protesters not try to resume position.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Have a look/listen to these above.

As you're aware Press ID is recognised by the police. The fact the arresting officer refused to even look at his Press ID in my opinion is a misuse of power.

Both lads were released without charge etc

The constant accusations of miss use of power are boring. The police have their hands tied in nearly every situation yet they are constantly insulted for being too soft or not responding when needed.

They can’t win.

D

Deleted member 1740

The constant accusations of miss use of power are boring. The police have their hands tied in nearly every situation yet they are constantly insulted for being too soft or not responding when needed.

They can’t win.

Not in this case it's not.

The press guy is seen to be co operating with the officer, he was cuffed and searched then when nothing was found and despite numerous calls from the press guy for the copper to acknowledge his press ID, the copper arrested him for conspiracy. Its a blatant misuse of power.

The cost to the force/tax payer to cart that guy off to the cells, interview him wont be cheap. But i suppose it helps with the figures.

I understand that the police have a tough job to do and their damned if they do/dont but in this case i stand by my comment based on the evidence i can see.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If they believed everyone there’d be no need for them. This “ may “ have been a case of simply being fed up and actually saying they won’t tolerate it for much longer.

I agree the press in attendance offered proof of ID, but what is to say that despite being acknowledged as press they may have week been supporting the cause as such. There’s such a fine line it’s scary.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
If they believed everyone there’d be no need for them. This “ may “ have been a case of simply being fed up and actually saying they won’t tolerate it for much longer.

I agree the press in attendance offered proof of ID, but what is to say that despite being acknowledged as press they may have week been supporting the cause as such. There’s such a fine line it’s scary.
So it's the press' fault for being there, not the police officer for ignoring the ID and abusing his position?

That's good to know. Doesn't sound remotely like fascism.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The press create the audience that the protestors need for it to be a success.

Also, as I said are you fully convinced that the press have no vested interest or support in any form of protest.

I’m not saying the police were correct in this case ignoring the offer of ID, but I’d be p155ed as a copper to keep getting called to such petty situations when more serious crimes go unattended due to lack of resources.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
The press create the audience that the protestors need for it to be a success.

Also, as I said are you fully convinced that the press have no vested interest or support in any form of protest.

I’m not saying the police were correct in this case ignoring the offer of ID, but I’d be p155ed as a copper to keep getting called to such petty situations when more serious crimes go unattended due to lack of resources.
OK. So referring back to my original post... is climate action, or the avoidance of action by successive governments and international organisations which right or wrongly have lead to some to believe they have no choice but to stage such protests a "petty situation"?

Without peaceful protests we would still be seeing segregated bus services. We would still live in a (western) world where it is unacceptable to love the person you love, irrespective of their gender. But absolutely... because they're in the way, on a road which is notoriously a car park anyway, yea let's shoot them down. Let's allow a police officer to abuse his position. Let's assume their dietary habits?!

Bonkers.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK. So referring back to my original post... is climate action, or the avoidance of action by successive governments and international organisations which right or wrongly have lead to some to believe they have no choice but to stage such protests a "petty situation"?

Without peaceful protests we would still be seeing segregated bus services. We would still live in a (western) world where it is unacceptable to love the person you love, irrespective of their gender. But absolutely... because they're in the way, on a road which is notoriously a car park anyway, yea let's shoot them down. Let's allow a police officer to abuse his position. Let's assume their dietary habits?!

Bonkers.

But are they peacefull protests and if you believe they are how long do you think they will remain peaceful?

Endangering themselves, putting drivers at risk (as highlighted in another post) and blocking emergency services imho is not a peaceful protest.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
But are they peacefull protests and if you believe they are how long do you think they will remain peaceful?

Endangering themselves, putting drivers at risk (as highlighted in another post) and blocking emergency services imho is not a peaceful protest.

Are they peaceful? Yes. They are not violent. Therefore they are peaceful. Protest is by it's definition designed to cause issues.

Will they remain peaceful? I have not seen any evidence of "Just Stop Oil" protesters causing aggression. I have seen evidence of people being aggressive towards them, and the above police video. The protesters are not the aggressors here. But it would seem you, and others in this thread, reject that notion?

Additional edit to add: I would agree with you on stopping emergency services - there's no need for it. ever.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Are they peaceful? Yes. They are not violent. Therefore they are peaceful. Protest is by it's definition designed to cause issues.

Will they remain peaceful? I have not seen any evidence of "Just Stop Oil" protesters causing aggression. I have seen evidence of people being aggressive towards them, and the above police video. The protesters are not the aggressors here. But it would seem you, and others in this thread, reject that notion?

Additional edit to add: I would agree with you on stopping emergency services - there's no need for it. ever.

maybe if the police moved them on, as they have ignored a court injunction, then the public wouldn't have to move them out of the way

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So it's the press' fault for being there, not the police officer for ignoring the ID and abusing his position?

That's good to know. Doesn't sound remotely like fascism.

Going back to this, do you not find it remotely suspicious that the press are always on hand within minutes of a stop oil protest kicking off only to stand back and claim “ not me guv, I’m just press “

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Going back to this, do you not find it remotely suspicious that the press are always on hand within minutes of a stop oil protest kicking off only to stand back and claim “ not me guv, I’m just press “
Do you find it suspicious that the BBC* are on hand (usually within hours) when a war breaks out? *other massive broadcasters are available.

Of course Just Stop Oil (and other groups) leak info of the whereabouts of their next protest to the press. If it isn't being discussed it doesn't work. That's not rocket science.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you find it suspicious that the BBC* are on hand (usually within hours) when a war breaks out? *other massive broadcasters are available.

Of course Just Stop Oil (and other groups) leak info of the whereabouts of their next protest to the press. If it isn't being discussed it doesn't work. That's not rocket science.

Back to my previous post, if you give the voice an audience it keeps shouting.

I’m not a fan of the press, and media in general only know how to sponge off bad news.

Push one of the protesters off the bridge and then report that if they want an audience!!!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

that might be because the likes of BBC and Sky etc have overseas correspondents