Lucky shots!

Sobel

Visit site
Hi, new to the forum, and new’ish to the game of Golf, started last year.

Have had some very lucky shots recently and was curious how others fair with their luck on the course. Usually my luck involves my ball landing one side of an OOB ditch and bouncing across it.

However my luckiest shot to date for me was last week, finally broke 100, shot 45 out and was coming in on course for another 45 on the back nine if I got par. The last hole at my local club, Longridge, was a steep uphill 300+ par 4. Hit a good 4 iron down the middle leaving 155 to the pin above me. Doubting my ability i hit a 7 iron and it went like a bullet. I watched it head up and over the green towards the clubhouse with its many large windows, a sinking feeling in my stomach at the thought of the damage I was about to cause.

The ball landed on the path in front of the clubhouse, bounced up onto the roof, rolled across it, somehow avoided the gutter, dropped back onto the path, bounced over the knee high wall/fence and landed 15 feet from the hole. There were two gentlemen stood nearby watching while they waited for their tee time, when I got up to the green we all had a laugh at my good fortune. Doubt I’ll ever get that lucky again!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you sure you didn't just describe the last scene of Happy Gilmore?

My favourite lucky shots are when I absolutely knife a chip and it collides head on with the pin and stops two inches away, or better yet, drops in. I do remember carving a drive out of bounds which then hit a tree and bounced back onto the fairway - but we've probably all done that.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in a pro-am a few years ago and shanked an approach shot miles right. It almost came back to the same spot after rebounding off a massive oak tree. Hit the green with my next shot and then holed a twenty footer for par. I was the only one of us that made par.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first hole in one was one of the luckiest shots I have had in my life -

Par 3 tee shot across a narrow river, totally topped only just made it over the river, two bounces and the remaining 70 yards was all the way along along the ground and down the hole.

Sobel

Visit site
Are you sure you didn't just describe the last scene of Happy Gilmore?

Definitely felt like that! Have added a photo pulled from the clubs webpage to show it :D

8JeeGg2.jpg

Playing in a pro-am a few years ago and shanked an approach shot miles right. It almost came back to the same spot after rebounding off a massive oak tree. Hit the green with my next shot and then holed a twenty footer for par. I was the only one of us that made par.

Nice! Making par after shots like that always feel good. Being able to recover like that is a skill in itself.

Par 3 tee shot across a narrow river, totally topped only just made it over the river, two bounces and the remaining 70 yards was all the way along along the ground and down the hole.

That's definitely one way to go for a hole in one :) Nice! Did you end up having to pay for drinks at the clubhouse?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Same here, a thinned 7 iron that travelled 3/4 of its journey along the deck before going into the hole ?