• Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It says she asked if she “wanted it marking “
She said “no “I can’t see a rule break if that’s all that was said

Hackers76

Visit site
I’m not convinced, had there been signs they had discussed it first then fair enough enough. Having a laugh about it after the event and enjoying some good fortune is the sort of thing us amateurs would do and I don’t have an issue with it.

User20204

Visit site
Non story. GM are starting to sound like tabloid papers nowadays. She (Olsen) was ready to play, had the other went up and marked it would have unsettled her from her already ready routine, she played without delay, as you were. As for the remark, "giving the impression that the entire thing was planned" preposterous.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First we all complain about pace of play then when we get someone playing when they are ready and not wanting a ball marked that is on the green and not on her line we now want to penalise her🙄

As was already said, if she was that accurate with her chipping she would have hit the flag!

What a load of nonsense trying to call them out as organised cheating!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree non story,just anotherattempt to undermine golf and it’s integrity.
High fiving probably not a good thing.
What is the percentage chance of hitting the other ball from where she was,1%

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
It's perhaps the most obvious break of a rule that gets overlooked as it's almost impossible to police, as there's a lot of grey in most situations.

Protect the field. If she wins by 1...

D

Deleted member 15344

So whilst I don’t think it’s “planned”

Does it not fall under this

15.3a/1 – Breach of Rule for Leaving Helping Ball in Place Does Not Require Knowledge

In stroke play, under Rule 15.3a, if two or more players agree to leave a ball in place on the putting green to help any player, and the stroke is made with the helping ball left in place, each player who made the agreement gets two penalty strokes. A breach of Rule 15.3a does not depend on whether the players know that such an agreement is not allowed.

For example, in stroke play, before playing from just off the putting green, a player asks another player to leave his or her ball that is near the hole, in order to use it as a backstop. Without knowing this is not allowed, the other player agrees to leave his or her ball by the hole to help the other player. Once the stroke is made with the ball in place, both players get the penalty under Rule 15.3a.

The same outcome would apply if the player whose ball was near the hole offered to leave the ball in play to help the other player, and the other player accepted the offer and then played.

If the players know that they are not allowed to make such an agreement, but still do it, they are both disqualified under Rule 1.3b(1) for deliberately ignoring Rule 15.3a.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So whilst I don’t think it’s “planned”

Does it not fall under this

15.3a/1 – Breach of Rule for Leaving Helping Ball in Place Does Not Require Knowledge

In stroke play, under Rule 15.3a, if two or more players agree to leave a ball in place on the putting green to help any player, and the stroke is made with the helping ball left in place, each player who made the agreement gets two penalty strokes. A breach of Rule 15.3a does not depend on whether the players know that such an agreement is not allowed.

For example, in stroke play, before playing from just off the putting green, a player asks another player to leave his or her ball that is near the hole, in order to use it as a backstop. Without knowing this is not allowed, the other player agrees to leave his or her ball by the hole to help the other player. Once the stroke is made with the ball in place, both players get the penalty under Rule 15.3a.

The same outcome would apply if the player whose ball was near the hole offered to leave the ball in play to help the other player, and the other player accepted the offer and then played.

If the players know that they are not allowed to make such an agreement, but still do it, they are both disqualified under Rule 1.3b(1) for deliberately ignoring Rule 15.3a.

Absolutely reasonable - and correct!

But completely irrelevant to the situation under discussion!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Daren’t chip on the green with a ball near the flag now.
I never ask a player to mark because frankly I can’t be bothered to wait.
I will always thank a playing partner for the unintentional backstop though.

Story blown out of proportion. Controversy gets readers though.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Daren’t chip on the green with a ball near the flag now.
I never ask a player to mark because frankly I can’t be bothered to wait.
I will always thank a playing partner for the unintentional backstop though.

Story blown out of proportion. Controversy gets readers though.
What if the ball was a ft in front of the flag for you intended chip?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's an area where the rule needs clarifying.

To my mind, a conversation of "Do you want that marked", "No", is not collusion. And moreover, its difficult to accept that two players, in direct competition for the same prize pot, would actively help each other.

But on the other hand, I know, you know, and they both know that a ball in that position is going to be an aid - so leaving a ball there is a known aid, especially to an over-hit ball, and even without anything like the conversation above.

Its an area as grey as last week's pants ...