LPGA - Rule Break or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What a wonderful idea to create 7 hour rounds to introduce something for nearly every hole to solve a problem that occurs once every 100+ rounds.

10 yards from green or hole is quite a difference. How do I measure if I’m 29 or 31 feet away - just pace it off? Great add some more time wasting!

So you think in the time you’ve chipped, the. Walked to your ball your playing partner (on tour) will have taken their shot? I doubt that with the psr’s.

Lots of the games rules don’t come into use often, but when they do they are usually clear. This one needs clearing up or scrapping. Also the pros on the pga are renowned for leaving the ball for pals. The fact the ball hasn’t been hit is actually irrelevant.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not saying they were but like in any sport you look at the situation and make a judgement based on what you see. I don't believe you can fully go off what the players alone say.

Fair point, but this is what we saw:

Player A hits their ball on to the green.
Player A asks Player B if she would like the ball marked.
Player B declines the offer and does not say why.
Player B hits her ball on to the green and ends up hitting Player A's ball.
The two players have a laugh about this and Player A's ball is put back to where it originally was.

Everything after this is opinion and not fact, and the facts in this case do not breach the rule in question.

Did Player B take advantage of the situation on purpose? Maybe, but it's not something that can be proven, even just on a balance of probabilities. To start giving people 2 shot penalties because they *might* have been breaking rules is not something that should happen.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair point, but this is what we saw:

Player A hits their ball on to the green.
Player A asks Player B if she would like the ball marked.
Player B declines the offer and does not say why.
Player B hits her ball on to the green and ends up hitting Player A's ball.
The two players have a laugh about this and Player A's ball is put back to where it originally was.

Everything after this is opinion and not fact, and the facts in this case do not breach the rule in question.

Did Player B take advantage of the situation on purpose? Maybe, but it's not something that can be proven, even just on a balance of probabilities. To start giving people 2 shot penalties because they *might* have been breaking rules is not something that should happen.
Decisions in sport are sometimes given based on intent and that is a judgement call. Tackles in football, in rugby, a beemer in cricket, the official has to take in what happens and evaluate. Golf is no different. It likes to be holier than though and if you are happy to take a golfers word over every incident then that is your perogative.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Decisions in sport are sometimes given based on intent and that is a judgement call. Tackles in football, in rugby, a beemer in cricket, the official has to take in what happens and evaluate. Golf is no different. It likes to be holier than though and if you are happy to take a golfers word over every incident then that is your perogative.
But in 99% of golf competitions there is no referee to make that judgement call

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Situations like that are always difficult to judge from the outside, but my reasoning is: I am pretty sure she was trying to hit the hole (which, btw, is a whole lot bigger than a golfball) and the flag would have made a more efficient backstop. It also does not look like her ball hit the other with a lot of speed, so even without the "backstop" it would not have gone much further, so the fact that it did hit the other ball did not give her much of an advantage.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
But again, let's look at the facts here. The facts do not show any proof of intent in this incident. Even in football, players are often charged with negligence and not intent. I think that when you consider the actual golf rule we're talking about here, the intent needs to be clear and not just a guess.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But again, let's look at the facts here. The facts do not show any proof of intent in this incident. Even in football, players are often charged with negligence and not intent. I think that when you consider the actual golf rule we're talking about here, the intent needs to be clear and not just a guess.
Of course the nearby referee may have heard/witnessed thing we didn't see.