Lost!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
When I was younger I used to stand on a fairway, (or semi or jungle) look at the flag or a target and know it was a 7 iron or whatever.

I was usually pretty dam accurate with my distance control and clubbing.

Fast forward a good number of years of reliance on a GPS or a laser and suddenly I'm lost if I forget my device(s) or run out of charge/battery. Not only have I lost that ability I once had it's clear that I'm now not taking the same amount of care or taking in my surroundings like I did before the GPS revolution. Previously I'd know I was a 5 iron from a certain tree or from the back of a bunker etc. Im absolutely lost now. It really is clear that I'm not even paying attention to that, I just whip out the laser or a quick glance at the GPS and hit.

Who else has experienced this? Just me?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although I use both GPS and laser frequently I'm still able to judge a distance fairly well, sometimes just using the DMD to confirm my estimation
But I can see how people can come to rely on DMDs for their yardages and forget how to judge for themselves - especially the younger generation, who may have been using DMDs from the outset.
Still think they're a marvelous invention

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My Skycaddie died a death in May. Not a problem till I get down to the 80 to 120 yd range. Which wedge? 48*, 52* 56*? I could usually guess between 48* and 56* but it was the 48 or 52* and 52* or 56*. The longer yardages I could judge pretty well, and if I got confirmation from someone else in the group who had a DMD I was within a few yards. But I just couldn't gauge the short ones. Nikon laser in the bag now.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I know what you're saying, so easy to get lazy with the GPS/laser.

I deliberately go out sometimes without just so I can play in a more relaxed frame of mind.

If I remember correctly, when I played the seven courses on Arran this year not one of them came up on my GPS so it was all by eye and yardage markers and I loved it.

I don't use the GPS when playing hickory either as it just doesn't feel right.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use a GPS, now it's a laser.
I dont worry if I dont have it, and rarely use it even when I do. I know my yardages, but what technology cant tell me is the air temp, wind strength and direction.
Knowing exact yardages is one thing, but being able to make those adjustments and select the right club only you mind can make:)

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Memory bias

What you remember was the good times you smacked a 7 iron and it got to near the pin.
All those times you were 20 yards short you now don't recall.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Memory bias

What you remember was the good times you smacked a 7 iron and it got to near the pin.
All those times you were 20 yards short you now don't recall.

Negative, I remember plenty of "honking" golf shots.

I'm just saying that with a lack of GPS etc when I had to do it myself I figured it out and I figured it out fairly well. However what I am saying is that I have become very lazy and self dependant on technology which while it isn't necessarily a bad thing it has "dulled my senses" in relation to how I play and what I know.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
for the op stated reasons is why i never use a gps ,or more accurately never buy one,i was brought up using my own judgement and still do ,im not saying that i dont look for yardage markers on the fairway or marker posts ,or even ask a fellow player a yardage ,but i dont deal in yardage i deal in the distance the over head and underfoot conditions tell me what club to use ,yes i know roughly how far i hit certain clubs but if its a big uphill or wind behind the club would change regardless of what a gps yardage said.gps in those conditions would be useless.

D

Deleted member 3432

Negative, I remember plenty of "honking" golf shots.

I'm just saying that with a lack of GPS etc when I had to do it myself I figured it out and I figured it out fairly well. However what I am saying is that I have become very lazy and self dependant on technology which while it isn't necessarily a bad thing it has "dulled my senses" in relation to how I play and what I know.
My skycaddie battery has just given up the ghost.
Still not bad at judging the distance but noticeable that I was shy about getting the ball up to back flags.
Back of the green yardage is one I'm interested in playing into the wind and for back flags.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve not been using my gps in our winter comp. on the odd times I’m not sure of yardage I will ask a pp, i find it interesting guessing yardages and most times I’m only 5/10 yards out which is insignificant for my h/c.

I suppose guessing yardages is becoming a lost art.

I honestly think it would make no difference to me if I didn’t use a gps on my home course ,if I can see 150 and 100 yard markets that would do for me.

But I would definitely want it on a away course.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
for the op stated reasons is why i never use a gps ,or more accurately never buy one,i was brought up using my own judgement and still do ,im not saying that i dont look for yardage markers on the fairway or marker posts ,or even ask a fellow player a yardage ,but i dont deal in yardage i deal in the distance the over head and underfoot conditions tell me what club to use ,yes i know roughly how far i hit certain clubs but if its a big uphill or wind behind the club would change regardless of what a gps yardage said.gps in those conditions would be useless.

Really; are you actually saying that players who use a GPS to measure distance wouldn't make adjustments to their clubbing dependant on course and weather conditions?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I can judge distances pretty well and only use my watch for a more accurate number.
My biggest problem is actually hitting the ball the right sodding distance and in a straight line

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
not saying that at all but the op says he has lost the art of guessing distance and relies far too much on gps measuring devices ,as im sure many others have , if i was a rule maker i would ban them all full stop. the game was invented before dmd and it would survive without them now ,,put some guess work in the equation ,it makes for a better game ,imo.

D

Deleted member 15344

Would you also ban , yardage markers , course planners , distance on the tee markers - the game was invented before them as well

Knowing the distance is a small percentage of it - everyone still needs to hit the shot and that includes judging the weather or lay of the land in front.

The game moves on from how it was invented

Guess we could slow the game up whilst we watch people walking out yardages all over the course

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
not saying that at all but the op says he has lost the art of guessing distance and relies far too much on gps measuring devices ,as im sure many others have , if i was a rule maker i would ban them all full stop. the game was invented before dmd and it would survive without them now ,,put some guess work in the equation ,it makes for a better game ,imo.

No surprise perhaps that I am in agreement with this sentiment...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Would you also ban , yardage markers , course planners , distance on the tee markers - the game was invented before them as well

Knowing the distance is a small percentage of it - everyone still needs to hit the shot and that includes judging the weather or lay of the land in front.

The game moves on from how it was invented

Guess we could slow the game up whilst we watch people walking out yardages all over the course

You forgot to add that we need to go back to blades, Phil, hickory shafts, feathery balls, wooden headed clubs and play in stiff woollen jackets whilst wearing a collar and tie.